Community Forums

Healing the Skin around the Stoma - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ Video)  

Page 8 / 8
  RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
20/07/2019 11:56 am  

I have been trying out the tip posted by Suzanne About using the Milk of Magnesium. I have a sore spot of skin where I had a granuloma removed. It was healing but slowly. I followed what Suzanne said and after 2 treatments the difference is remarkable. Many many thanks for sharing this tip. 😀👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
20/07/2019 4:51 pm  

Wow John, it sounds like Suzanne had the fix you needed. I am glad things worked out for you!

What a blessing that she found this site.

Stella

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
21/07/2019 1:08 pm  

To explain a little more, A granuloma is on the side of the stoma. They are very weepy and eroded my wafer each time. I had the little pests removed a few months back with great success. The erosion never lead to a leak but it comprised the seal. That coupled with a little scar left from the removal was proving slow to heal. It’s easy to apply and adding a little stoma powder provides an excellent crust. Once again impressed and proves how valuable sharing experience and ideas is. So cheers Suzanne and Eric for providing the forum 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
21/07/2019 1:30 pm  

Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip about healing and protecting the skin with the milk of Magnesia. Great tip! I wrote it down so I can refer to it when needed.

I hope you continue to add your voice to ours and post more tips since you have so much experience to share. 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
21/07/2019 5:05 pm  

@john68

I think I have had something similar. A couple times when I saw the ostomy nurse, she used silver nitrate (I think) to burn something on or around my stoma. It was a stick with the silver nitrate at the top and she used some lidocaine to numb it and then just touched it with the tip of the stick. I am probably due to go back and have her check it again. 

ReplyQuote
Michael Dennis
 Michael Dennis
(@Michael Dennis)
28/07/2019 10:09 pm  

Great video, thank you. I’ve had my ostomy for five weeks now. I’ve been struggling with leaks almost daily it seems. After watching your video I realize I’ve been doing a few things wrong, which I’ll now correct. My skin is in pretty bad shape, I think following your tips though will help it heal. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
29/07/2019 12:56 pm  
Posted by: @Michael Dennis

Great video, thank you. I’ve had my ostomy for five weeks now. I’ve been struggling with leaks almost daily it seems. After watching your video I realize I’ve been doing a few things wrong, which I’ll now correct. My skin is in pretty bad shape, I think following your tips though will help it heal. Thanks again!

Good luck, Michael! Even at five weeks, I was still figuring things out, so don't despair. There's always a solution for each problem, so I hope your solution (with the new changes you'll be making) comes quickly!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Alison
 Alison
(@Alison)
02/08/2019 6:47 pm  

Hello all,
I have found Eric's videos and info very helpful. My surgery was 8 weeks ago and I am very happy with my recovery (and freedom from the toilet!). The lower half of the colon was removed, and while I did have solidified output at the beginning, the past 4 weeks have been like mud - not quite diarrhea. However, there is a problem with the juncture of skin and stoma. That is to say, as the stitches dissolved, the skin wasn't yet closed around the stoma. Now a real gap is evident, and the skin's edge is raised, like a bumper, and irregular. There is also a broad area of skin at one side that has remained a red wine colour - it is sore to the touch. Of course, I have seen the surgeon several times since the surgery, and as it became more painful at about week 4, instead of less, he prescribed 10 days of two antibiotics at week 6. At the visit after that he again examined things, poked etc. While it is less painful than before the drugs, the gap appears wider. He is concerned, yet suggested a wait and see approach, and return in two weeks. I asked if he could restitch but he said this is not possible.

Today's pouch change revealed seepage under the wafer, again. The "bumper" isn't helping I suppose. Yes I have tried convex wafer (suggested by visiting stoma nurse, made it hurt a lot), rings (suggested by hospital stoma nurse, seemed to make stoma retract, more seepage), and paste (seemed to dissolve, and fail). This last time I tried cutting the wafer tighter to the stoma, and used no extra product. This was more comfortable, but was just an illusion of success! I have let the skin "air" a couple of times, sitting in the sun awhile. Yet the problem continues. Today I turned again to the Google search, and of course there really only is your site! I watched the "crusting" video (thank you and will try that now.) But I was very struck by how different my stoma looks - and now I am getting rather worried.

So here are my questions (at last). Has anyone had this issue of the skin remaining apart from the stoma? What was done to help it heal properly? I do trust my surgeon, but it seems time to reach out for other input.

Cheers,

Alison

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
02/08/2019 9:24 pm  

Hi Alison, this is something that happens  unfortunately, but it should be addressed by your surgeon.

Do you have a stoma nurse who can assess your stoma and recommend how to better apply a pouch over it? I would be cautious of using a convex wafer because the additional pressure it adds may cause that separation to worsen. 

The sore redness you describe could be the skin that’s burned from your output, at least that’s what I’ve encountered in the past. More frequent appliance changes helped me during that time and I always measured my stoma to get a perfect fit. 

Best of luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register