Community Forums

Healing the Skin around the Stoma - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ Video)  

Page 9 / 9
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 20, 2019 3:58 pm  
Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

I have to ask if everyone gets pain with the flares of disease? I know I have a different type gut being shorter then short and with bowel wall thickening, but does everyone experience the pain?🤔

Not everyone will have pain all the time, but it does depend on the severity of the illness and where. When I was diagnosed with Crohn's, I didn't have pain - that came as my illness got worse, and it was excruciating. 😣

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Michelle
 Michelle
(@Michelle)
October 2, 2019 12:05 pm  

I do home healthcare for a client and he is having an issue with skin breakdown around his stoma, we have tried the caking method as well as the moldable ring and it simply is not adhering which causes the output to sit on the skin longer and then it leaks. Are there any other options for him to try??

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 2, 2019 12:26 pm  

@Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Do you have the option of consulting with a Stoma Nurse? Until you know why the skin is breaking down, it's hard to come up with any course of action. 

If they are having leaks then that needs to be controlled first. If the skin is weepy, there could also be the chance that a fungal infection may be at play, which needs to be treated on its own. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, john68 and IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share:

Please Login or Register