Community Forums

Healing the Skin ar...

Notifications
Clear all

Healing the Skin around the Stoma - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ Video)  

Page 12 / 12

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@Theresa Holmes, RN I echo John's sentiment and double-check that the convex appliance isn't being worn too tight (common if your patient uses an appliance support belt).

Open pores that are weeping will present a huge challenge, unfortunately. Depending on why the skin is that damaged, it's hard to say what to do next. 

Do you have a colleague or have access to a wound/stoma nurse? They would have received specialized training to handle wounds like that.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Anne
 Anne
(@Anne)

I have an ileostomy and its not my skin that stays sore. Its the stoma itself. When I think I am leaking and change the bag, its not leaking. Something is causing a painful stoma. I wish I knew what the problem is. I'm thinking about a stoma guard? Maybe that will take the pressure off my stoma because of my clothes? I don't know. All I know is it is very uncomfortable.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Anne,

I'm sorry to hear about your stoma pain. There could be several causes, but I do suggest speaking with your stoma nurse or surgeon to identify the cause.

A few things come to mind that you might want to double-check:
1) Are you cutting the hole of your wafer too small?
2) Is there any impact or friction on the stoma? This could be from clothing, pets, tables, etc.
3) If the stoma itself hurts, does it appear swollen or bruised?

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
MARGARET HARNETT
 MARGARET HARNETT
(@MARGARET HARNETT)

I have a terrible, bleeding sore around part of my stoma. I have seen MANY nurses and been to a few ostomy clinics. The problem is that the sore is really close to the lumen, which is also a right at the level of my skin [loop ileostomy]. I use a convex one-piece appliance [have tried all kinds and 2-piece ones] with an Eakin seal and medical adhesive, also with barrier strips, in addition to using a hernia [small one above my stoma] belt. There has been improvement, but not close to the lumen. I have also used calamine lotion on the skin areas further away from the stoma, letting it dry, which works well with both sealing and healing, though, have not put it on the weeping, bleeding, red, very painful sore next to my lumen. My questions--> Any ideas for that area? [Desperately need suggestions!] I have purchased Marathon, but according to the directions, I had the impression that it is not to be used on an open type of sore similar to the one I have. Have you used Marathon in this manner, on an open, red sore area? If my sore was healed more, I think it might work. Also, I have never heard about using nasal spray. Does anyone have more information about this? Thanks much for all of your suggestions and videos posted. Well-done?

ReplyQuote
MARGARET HARNETT
 MARGARET HARNETT
(@MARGARET HARNETT)

Oh that last post was to Rosemary Purdy, among others Thanks: Margaret

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Hi Margaret, 

I am a big fan of marathon. And I have used it on red weepy sore skin without having any trouble. But I didn't remember the instructions saying not to. I guess I should read them again. 😂

I hope you have the same good outcome with the Marathon that I do. 

Did the ostomy nurses have any helpful suggestions for you?  Mine at one time recommended a protective sheet cut to fit around the stoma when my skin was particularly bad. It helped somewhat. I used it in combination with stoma paste. 

I know how miserable sore skin can be and I hope you are able to get it under control soon. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Margret, Yes I do believe that marathon is not to be used on deeply broken skin. Getting an idea of why the skin is badly broken would be a big start. Is it leakage, wafer cut to snug or to tight or maybe the convex is too deep causing a pressure sore. The hernia belt may be fitting to tightly as well. Stoma powder and barrier spray to crust and build up a dry surface is a great help to healing . Eric suggests leaving the wafer off for a time to give the skin some air time. Measure your stoma, powder and crust and apply a barrier ring. I wouldn’t give up on a stoma nurse helping, keep trying until you get the attention you need go to a Doctor. Nasal spray contains steroid and that’s why it helps, steroid treatments do help but long term use can cause thinning of the skin. Other helpful posts will follow 👍 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Margaret, has anyone suggested using a powder with silver in it? I don’t have skin issues very often, but I do find that silver powder clears it up quickly. It’s expensive, but you only need a small amount.  Best to check with your ostomy nurse - I agree with above comments - don’t give up on getting answers from the experts. Good luck.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
Rick Clarke
 Rick Clarke
(@Rick Clarke)

I am having the same issue. Feels like the stoma is squeezed inside. I dont THINK it is but we'll see what my surgeon says. 6 months post op now. I guess it could be nerve ends acting up? Makes me wince so much so that people are asking if I am alright. Frustrating for sure.

ReplyQuote
Sean
 Sean
(@sean)
Registered

My wife has the same problem and yes, nothing will stick to excoriated skin.  However, I just read about sucralfate powder and it sounds very promising.  In addition to creating a sticky protective barrier, there is real evidence that it has healing properties.  I've yet to check with her doctor, but it doesn't look like it's available in the US.  
https://www.srft.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=53326&type=full&servicetype=Inline

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@sean Thanks for sharing that, Sean. It does looklike a promising option! 

ReplyQuote
Sean
 Sean
(@sean)
Registered

If anyone is interested in reading more about it, this is an easy to read study that was done on this treatment.  However, you have to register and pay 8 bucks. for the privelidge 
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2230.2000.00711.x

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sean

If anyone is interested in reading more about it, this is an easy to read study that was done on this treatment.  However, you have to register and pay 8 bucks. for the privelidge 
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2230.2000.00711.x

For those interested, sometimes private citizens can simply ask the authors for a free copy of the full texts. Being that this is an older study (from 2008), I'm not sure how easy it would be to get in touch with them. 

Ask your stoma nurse if they can share any insight into the use of this product if you are having such problems. 

ReplyQuote
Sean
 Sean
(@sean)
Registered

@veganostomy Thanks for the tip about requesting a copy!

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 12