Community Forums

Healing the Skin ar...

Notifications
Clear all

Healing the Skin around the Stoma - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ Video)  

Page 11 / 11
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 19, 2020 3:07 pm  
Posted by: @Rosemary Purdy

My stoma is SO Sore and bleeds

I'm so sorry that you are going through that, Rosemary. 

Can you clarify something? Are you sore and bleeding AROUND your stoma or is the actual stoma sore and bleeding? If the stoma is bleeding, it is coming from inside the stoma or on the surface? 

I do recommend seeking a nurse's guidance at any time there is pain or bleeding involved. If you don't have access, then the best we can do here is speak to what's worked for us, but there are no guarantees the same will work for you. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Rosemary Purdy
 Rosemary Purdy
(@Rosemary Purdy)
August 27, 2020 9:16 am  

Hello. I’m so sorry to say I am still so sore I don’t
sleep My husband my caregiver doesn’t sleep we are upset nothing is working and I have to live like this my quality of life is terrible I am fire red itchy and very painful all around the stoma.During this COVID-19 time we can’t get help I surely do not want to go to a hospital I’m really in so much pain Today we will try nasal spray we tried everything else I only wish something can give me some relief We need a break as we have to be carful.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 27, 2020 4:47 pm  
Posted by: @Rosemary Purdy

I surely do not want to go to a hospital I’m really in so much pain

Hi Rosemary, 

I don't think you have many options if you are in that much pain. I do suggest going to the hospital and seeing if there is any help available. I trust that the hospital you had surgery at has a stoma nurse.

When my skin is very raw and sore, I often will leave my appliance off for hours at a time to give it relief and then I will use a barrier ring when I put my appliance back on. But the success of this method really depends on what's causing the irritation. I think in your case, a stomas nurse needs to see how your appliance is being put on, how it's fitting, and if your skin is having a reaction to the product itself.  

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Shazzon
 Shazzon
(@Shazzon)
August 29, 2020 8:34 pm  

Can u use a convex wafer if you like how they fit can they cause damage to your ostomy

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 31, 2020 2:41 pm  

Hi Shazzon, I suggest speaking with a stoma nurse to determin if a convex appliance is appropraite for your needs. They CAN cause damage if used incorrectly or when not necessary. Pressure sores can also occor if you are using a convex appliance that is too "deep', too stiff, or has too much pressure on it because of a support belt.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Kim
 Kim
(@Kim)
September 18, 2020 9:07 pm  

Try a little milk of magnesium around it, let it dry good before putting on bag or ring.

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
lpavlovi
 lpavlovi
(@lpavlovi)
September 20, 2020 10:19 am  

Hi Rosemary, I hope that you have made some progress in healing your stoma and skin issues. I am my daughter's caregiver. She is 57 years old and had Crohn's disease since 15 years old and has had an ileostomy since 2015. She also has Diabetes which contributes to skin healing issues and other medical issues, caused by steroids which she had for the Crohn's.

She has had many peri-stoma skin issues.We have had assistance in dealing with her issues from an Ostomy Care Center RN, her internist and dermatologist but it boils down to try and error from applying all the standard creams, steroid sprays (aerosols)...

The best result come with leaving the appliance off for hours each day from 2 hours to 5 hours. And for many consecutive days.

The skin needed air and time off adhesive products to begin healing. There was no advice anywhere on how to keep her appliance off for that many hours but we invented a method using a baby diaper but not worn in the traditional way. Instead I just flatten it out, so that I can place it under her stoma flat against her stomach and used paper tape, Nexus, to hold it in place while she sits in her Lazy Boy chair.

We air it out for at least a few hours followed by the application of a prescribed cream that is half anti fungal and half steroid. This is kept on her skin for at least an hour or more. Then we wipe off the excess and she gets her shower.

Note this is not easy. She has to sit in place for the most part but we have used an stoma plastic cup with some wet gauze it in to absorb leaks/poop while she gets up to urinate or walk around the room or even put some pieces in a jigsaw puzzle. I change the diaper as needed usually about 2 every hour or so.

It is hard to explain and I have photos that I could email to you but do not want to post them here even though there is nothing wrong with them.

We have followed Eric, Vegan Ostomate, online and on YouTube who has been a help in so many ways. Thank you Eric. My daughter's Ostomy RN also noted what great advice you give.

ReplyQuote
lpavlovi
 lpavlovi
(@lpavlovi)
September 20, 2020 10:31 am  

Rosmary, Let me add the most important thing that we have done to heal my daughter's skin. We always got to Ostomy RN, Dermatologist, and internist first to discuss what we are doing. And because of COVID we have isolated since March 2020. Most of our med. appointments are video where we share photos of my daughter's stoma....

We work with the medical professionals to confirm which creams, sprays, methods we should use. But across the board, they all recommend giving the area "air" for healing the skin. We now call it the stoma's "spa" treatment. Air, followed by creams (sprays whichever the doctor's...advise with our input as to what seems to be working or not), her shower and then putting on her appliance (sometimes with the aerosol steroid prescription b/c it dries quickly first) for the rest of the day.

We also named her Ostomy in 2015 during recovery from her surgery - It is Olliie Ollie ileostomy. So we really say we are giving Ollie his spa treatment. It has helped us in discussing all the issues that have arisen in the last 5 years.

But we keep learning every day. We watched Eric's videos on every issue multiple times.

If you want photos, please email me

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 21, 2020 6:10 am  

I have just started experimenting with a homemade marigold (calendula) cream. Its too early to say but I noticed some positive less itchiness and it hasn't effected the adhesion of the wafer as long as excess is wiped off and the stoma is allowed to air for as long is possible. calendula is a long used skin healer ( weleda do a calundula diaper cream?) and avoids the steroid or cortisoid creams which I never do well with!

The recent warm weather has for me and my Stoma nurse tells me others, caused more skin problems.

It reminded me that professional cyclist get sore butt problems and use nappy creams mainly lanolin to reduce the soreness and chaffing from the clothing rubbing over their sweaty butts, ( girls stay calm here :lol: ) lanolin is very greasy though.

I have noticed and others have reported skin problems from Omeprazol (Drugs.com list itching, skin rash) as a side effect. Its worth noting.

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 21, 2020 6:40 am  

Hi Folks, For any redness I will use Nivea post shaving balm. It doesn’t contain alcohol and is non greasy so as long as you let it dry it will not effect adhesion. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
mariedianels
(@mariedianels)
Registered
September 22, 2020 8:45 pm  

Very useful information. Can you please tell me the tips. How to take care and diet for the patient of depression, mental health, and psychologist.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 23, 2020 9:37 am  
Posted by: @mariedianels

Very useful information. Can you please tell me the tips. How to take care and diet for the patient of depression, mental health, and psychologist.

Hi Marie, I'm afraid that kind of help is beyond the scope of this forum. I do suggest speaking with a mental health professional to guide you through steps you can take to help care for someone going through depression or mental health challenges. Your family doctor, or the family doctor of the person you are caring for, should be able to make that referral. 

ReplyQuote
mariedianels
(@mariedianels)
Registered
September 23, 2020 4:00 pm  

@veganostomy

Ok, thank you.

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 11