Community Forums

Dealing with Ostomy...

Notifications
Clear all

Dealing with Ostomy Blockages (w/ video)  

Page 3 / 3

Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@veganostomy While I don’t irrigate regularly, it is a godsend when I do. Yes, it takes time - for me, it takes a couple of hours just to be sure I don’t have any “late returns “ but I think if I did it more regularly, it would take less time as I became more efficient. I only irrigate when I need a stretch of time free from interruption. So if I am going to dinner and theatre, I don’t want to be constantly heading to the loo. When I irrigate, I can generally count on 36 hours free from output, sometimes more. I know that lots of colostomates irrigate daily, but it isn’t a need for me. 

It isn’t a difficult process at all, however, it takes some practice. I would be happy to walk anyone through the process if they’re thinking of trying it. I even got Coloplast to send me the irrigation kit for free.

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@tigerlily

Wow wee! I would love to be regular again, but am a little nervous about trying anything new. I never know when I am going to have output. Some days it's in the afternoon, others in the evening, and other times first thing in the morning, but mostly on and off all day. 

Stella

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@sjlovestosing Yeah, I am pretty much the same. What I hear from people who irrigate regularly is that it trains your body to a schedule. I don’t irrigate enough to know if that is the case, but it’s nice to have some freedom when I do. If you’re interested in it, have a look at YouTube videos on the subject. They are really helpful. It seems daunting the first time, but it isn’t as complicated as you think. You might find that you like it.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@tigerlily

Thank you, Laurie, I will do that!

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tigerlily

What I hear from people who irrigate regularly is that it trains your body to a schedule.

I've also heard that! If I had a colostomy, I'd be all over doing irrigation! LOL 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3