Community Forums

Dressing with an Os...

Notifications
Clear all

Dressing with an Ostomy: A Guide for Ladies (Part 3)

22 Posts
9 Users
24 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Ladies, share your ostomy tips for undergarments, intimacy wear, swimwear, and sportswear! My full, written article about this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@Margaret Johnson)

I have a ureterostomy and I'm afraid of restricting the flow of urine..then leaking.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Margaret,

That's a completely valid concern that many of us face. Fortunately, with all of the options available, you should hopefully be able to find something that is both comfortable and suits your needs. 

Have you been able to try anything new, or are you still looking for clothing options? 

ReplyQuote
(@Dawn Jungewaelter)

My biggest concern is getting the ostomy bag wet? Also I can wear a pair of leggings and the look good feel good but boy oh boy when I have a bowl movement it starts to stick out like a sore thumb and I feel awful, disgusting, and embarrassed

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Dawn, there should be no real concern about getting the bag wet. Sometimes, the edges of the wafer does peel up a bit when they get wet, but this can easily be remedied with a wafer extender, medical tape, or simply changing the wafer.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

@Dawn Jungewaelter

Hi Dawn.  I've often thought that it is so weird that we can have bowel movements at any time.  I laugh to myself when I am talking to someone and feel output coming out of my stoma.  I almost want to say, "Hey guess what? I'm pooping."  It is a strange feeling to be sure.  I do understand your concern, but I hope you don't beat yourself up too much.    Maybe we should just picture everyone pooping.  That should take the edge off.  ? Take care.

Glenn

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Dawn, when we look down we see the bag in a different way than people view it. I bet it’s not noticeable to anyone around. ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

@john68

Also, we know exactly what we're looking for, so we see it immediately.  Most people aren't searching for a pouch when they look at us, so I bet they would be hard pressed to find it even if you asked them to.  

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Exactly! Here in Northern Ireland being searched was a part of every day life when I first had the bag. I was amazed at how many times it wasn’t found ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @Dawn Jungewaelter

Also I can wear a pair of leggings and the look good feel good but boy oh boy when I have a bowl movement it starts to stick out like a sore thumb and I feel awful, disgusting, and embarrassed

Hi Dawn. It probably isn’t as noticeable as you think, but I was feeling the same way, so I have just started wearing longer and looser tops. It is amazing what a wonder it has done for my confidence about being out in public with my ostomy. Good luck to you!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Cat momma reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @glenn-giroir

I almost want to say, "Hey guess what? I'm pooping."  It is a strange feeling to be sure. 

Glenn,

I had a home health nurse for about 10 1/2 months after surgery coming 3 times a week to change the wound vacuum pump dressing. Sometimes she would bring a trainee with her and she would often have them watch and do the charting while she did the dressing change. One of the nurses with her was asking me the standard questions while I was lying there on the bed with my tummy exposed and she asked when was my last bowel movement. My nurse Anna and I just chuckled and I told her “probably right now”. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

glenn.giroir and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

One of the nurses with her was asking me the standard questions while I was lying there on the bed with my tummy exposed and she asked when was my last bowel movement. My nurse Anna and I just chuckled and I told her “probably right now”. ?

You should have answered, "yes."

Cat momma reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Cyrisse)

A tip I thought of since the hernia belt was not comfortable For me. Went in my drawer and I had quite a few Spanx pieces that I forgot about...tried the high waist panty one on and wal la a perfect fit and plenty of support !! Just saying....
I

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

That's a nice tip, Cyrisse! Compared to the hernia belt, how much support does the Spanx provide?

ReplyQuote
(@guylaine gascon)

Hi Eric! Does the company AWESTOMY still exist? I can't find them online. There is no match for awestomy.com. It is too bad because I saw some of thei products and they seemed really interesting!

Thank you!

Guylaine

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

My pouch seems so bulky, and the ostomy side of my stomach sticks out. When I raise my arms sometimes my shirts hike up, and I am concerned that the bulge of my pouch can be seen outlined through my pants (I wear black stretchy pants or jean/jeggings). Yesterday I bought a black half-slip in 18” length to see how it looks showing a couple of inches below those shirts. It is very lightweight and plain, and I think it looks pretty good for either casual or dressy; I think this will make me feel more confident. Will have to hike it up a little with some outfits depending on the look I want.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

Cat momma and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Guylaine,

Awestomy! has been closed, open, closed, and open for years. I believe the last time they posted on social media, they said they would be reopening again.

They make great products, but this lack of business consistency is troubling.

You can find alternative brands who also make wraps here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-clothing-manufacturers/

Take care.

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Robin Forsberg)

Hi,
My stoma sits above my waist, so my pants waist band hits right at the bottom of one piec system seal, and the pouch hangs down inches. I either have to wear “uncle high pockets” skirts, or elastic band pants with a narrow band. Dresses work the best but sometimes I just want to wear pants and a shirt.
All the models seem to have lower stomas.
I’m 73 and Roma just had her first birthday. I feel as if I’m still a work in progress.
I use Coloplast sensura mío flex one piece system.

Can you help?
Robin

LLNorth and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

You might want to try leggings with a longer tunic type top. You’d be comfy too. That’s all I can really wear or I feel like the other type pants pull on my bag too much. You can dress them up or down so I guess I don’t mind them. Like you, dresses or skirts work for me but I still wear a pair of bike shorts under them to hold things together. I’m 60 years old. 

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@ Robin Forsberg ...  Welcome to VO!!   I'm  65, had an ileostomy for almost 15 yrs. My stoma sits in an awkward area for my clothing too. My stomas name is Rose. 

May I  suggest finding a pair of maternity pants,  they have that elastic front that would go above your stoma & pouch, but need a longer top.  Also if you have a fav. pair of pants maybe find some Angel who does Alterations & have them place a piece of stretch fabric in them in the area above  your pouch. On Jeans, a fancy piece of old leggings put in works too if you like decor on fabric! Lol! 

I only buy pants with an 18" rise up from the crotch center to above my pouch plastic by at least 2 inches, allowing for weeding my garden & picking up young Grands (7).  Be careful of fabrics that shrink.  I wear leggings a lot as there are plain & pretty ones out there, but I also buy a size larger for the stoma height &  take in the waistline and then wear as suggested above longer shirts to sort of camoflage the pouch when theres fluids or air in them.  

When I got my stoma I never considered the effects on my wardrobe until I got home! There were some tears!!  I'm not hard on clothing. But, after my stoma I became aware very quickly that I needed to change my style of clothing to better suit my stoma needs.  I've never been sorry as its made a huge difference in how I feel about myself as a women too.  On my very fixed widows budget I bought one or two pieces a month. If your Canadian...  Northern Reflections carries a nice womans pants with elastic waistbands.  I've bought a size larger for above pouch & stoma placement  reasons & have taken them & the  waistline elastic in to hold them up. I still choose to wear a longer shirt with them too.  For night time PJ bottoms I buy Marks Work Wear Mens bottoms for the rise & baggy night time comfort. This spring time of year the stores seem to carry a bigger selection of pretty ladies shirts. I take advantage of that & but a ciuple each year.  Also, check out your local thrift store/s & see what they have.  Go armed with your  measurements taken with & without a full pouch & a good tape measure & a friend!  

I hope this helps a bit with some concerns you have. Again... welcome to VO & ask any questions you may have.  Feel free to start a new forum & tell us your story. You are amongst stoma buddies & we enjoy hearing from new members!! 

Linda

Chelly and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2