Notifications
Clear all

First plane trip as ostomate  

RSS

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
March 11, 2020 6:59 pm  

I have watched Eric’s videos on traveling with an ostomy, but wondered if anyone had any additional tips or suggestions. One thing in particular I was wondering about is TSA. Has anyone had problems going through security. 

Tomorrow we are going on our first plane trip with Squeaky. It is the first of the 5 concerts we are going to this year, and the only one we have to fly for. It is relatively short flights. Just under an hour to Seattle and then just over two more hours from Seattle to Vegas. It seemed like a good trial run with flying.  I appreciate any feedback, and will certainly report back with how it goes. 👍 ✈️ 

LK liked
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2020 10:29 pm  

Hi Liza,

I have had a few issues with TSA. Not bad or anything, but twice I have gone through the scanner where you have to spread your arms and legs.  they then pulled me aside and  had a female TSA agent pat me down. Interested in the bag etc. When I explain what it is they were understanding. Once they had me pat it ( through my cloths!!) and then swabbed my fingers for explosives.  This was done in full public viewing ...These were international flights.

I got a bit of grief on Canada Air last year for my extra carry on ( very small bag with my 'medical necessities). I explained what it was and they let me keep it.

Also while flying, you will notice your bag will inflate a bit as you go higher. They pressurize the cabin of course, but not the same as sea level. Its a good time to discreetly vent if you can. The reverse happens as you loose elevation at the end of the flight. I try to have a window seat with my husband next to me to give me more cover.

Other than that, no problems.  The bathrooms are as you know very small, so there is that to cope with.

Never had to change during a flight ... but I could.

Have a great time and enjoy the music.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Smended
(@smended)
Registered
March 11, 2020 11:21 pm  

Liza

Just traveled to phoenix and had no problems at all, it was my first time with air travel. I had a card to show the TSA agents but they barely glanced at it

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
March 12, 2020 12:09 am  

Thanks Dona and Smended!!

That is good information and I appreciate it. Originally, I was going to go to the airport in advance and talk to a TSA agent, but then with everything going on with my dad, I didn’t get a chance. 

Dona, it is especially good to know the bag might inflate. That would concern me if I wasn’t expecting it. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 13, 2020 12:30 pm  
Posted by: @squeakyandliza

One thing in particular I was wondering about is TSA. Has anyone had problems going through security. 

Never had problems with the TSA related to my ostomy, but I did once forget that I had a Gatorade bottle in my backpack and insisted that I had no liquids after being asked twice... it was an honest mistake, so after they did a quick search I was cleared.

At most, if I don't mention that I have an ostomy, they will usually catch it on the scanner and do an explosive residue test. That's about it. They'd usually do it anyway, so this wasn't an issue.

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
March 18, 2020 4:39 am  

My trip went really well from an ostomy standpoint. When we left our home airport, they have one of the machines that encircles you, so they could definitely see the appliance, so they had me rub both of my hands over that area over my clothes and did the explosive test on my hands. And they patted down my backside. When we left Vegas, I just went through a metal detector, so no mention of ostomy. 

LL, after your message, I kept an eye out for my bag inflating, but it barely did at all. I barely ate anything though. Just a granola bar in the morning, because I have some pills I have to take with food, so I’m sure having an empty stomach helped. And they were pretty short flights. 

I feel good having my first flying with an ostomy experience under my belt. 😀✈️

LK liked
ReplyQuote