Sticky mess

83 Posts
7 Users
70 Likes
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Hello all, 

having a problem and hoping someone can help me figure this out. I used to use ConvaTec active life, one piece pouch with stomahesive, a hollister cera ring, safe and simple barrier wipe and used convatecs adhesive remover wipes. Never had issues with stickiness or build up. 
got hernias and surgery but the stoma kindvof went in a bit so had to switch to convatec active life one peice with durahesive. 
had not had any issues until recently. The bag is stuck on like cement when I try to take it off and when I use adhesive remover wipes, it actually gets sticky here. I’m having a hard time getting that stuff off and in the shower the stickiness is dripping down to my legs and feet and it is very hard to get off as well. 
has anyone ever had this problem before and what tips can you suggest it’s like the adhesive remover wipes are turning it into a gummy mess that will not come off.

LK reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey Chelly, welcome to the forums!

A few questions:

1. Do you have an ileostomy or colostomy?
  2. How long do you wait between appliance changes?
  3. Have you used adhesive remover spray instead of the wipes?

I should be able to provide more feedback with the answers to those questions.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  
  • @veganostomy I have an ileostomy. I have to change daily or I get irritation and loosens up around the stoma. I have never tried the spray as I use wipes. 
    I do rinse my bag when emptying as I pancake at times but the pancaking drops are oily and seem to loosen my bag. 
    this stickiness is a nightmare and the only thing I have changed is I used to have a bag that was stomahesive and this new bag is durahesive. 
    im literally walking around with adhesive stuck to my toes and feet and it gets into my bathroom floor. 
    we did have another sticky issue in my home and at work so not sure if something got on me there and transferred to my hands somehow. 
    im glad you responded and was hoping to speak with you as you seem to have much knowledge of ostomy. 
  • I just found a post from a Dona when I searched. The post was from 2017 and she had the same issue with the shower floor and getting into the lower body when showering. I wonder if she ever found a solution. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

I have an ileostomy.

This is good to know. The durahesive is ideal for ileostomy output.

I have to change daily

Ok, this is not ideal with Durahesive since it's considered an extended wear product and is designed for multiple days of wear.

That said, if you can get your hands on adhesive remover spray, it should help to get it off more easily.

You can use the wipes to clean the skin after removing the wafer if you still have residue on your skin.

When your skin irritation clears up, you should be able get multiple says of wear out of that appliance.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy I wish I could keep them on longer than one day. I find that being a women and using hair conditioners and the soap etc.. loosens up the tape collar section when I shower. 
Oh…… the challenges of wearing a pouch and trying to figure things out. I’ve been wearing mine for about 5 years now and still running into challenges. I must say that living with a stoma is much preferable than living the way I was before I got it. I was always in pain and could not use the restroom. It took 4 years before doctors took me serious and gave me some help even though I had a ileus. Shame on them. 

what you said here was the same exact thing the Ostomy nurse from convatec told me on the phone. She felt maybe I had a build up of safe and simple barrier as well, which could be as that stuff is very sticky. I stopped using it after she said that as to see if it was the problem. I’m still getting some sticky stuff but maybe not as much. The sticky that gets on the shower floor and my floor in the bathroom from changing is really irritating my feet and getting sticky all over them. I actually used a Krud Kutter adhesive remover wipe around my stoma and I’m not suggesting for anyone to do that. I did at my own risk and was desperate to rid of the sticky. Also the cera ring may be melting. I tried not using the cera ring but got leakage around the stoma area without it. 
I had hernia surgery a year and a half ago but the hernia is slowly coming back just not as bad. Sometimes the stoma sits sideways. So that is challenging and it retracted a bit after surgery. 
the adhesive remover wipes make the sticky more gooey and sticky. They just seem to turn it into a mucky stickier mess. I will have to try the spray. 

im glad to have found this forum. I’m finding a lot of good tips here. I have always enjoyed the educational videos that you share online. Thank you for doing this for people. 

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Folks, I have found that some barrier rings are worse than others for leaving sticky residue both on the skin and the shower tray. I find too the spray is a much more effective way to remove the wafer. Plus spray on the wafer as you peel rather than on the skin works better.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy, Mrs Shoob and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)

Good Morning,

I will second (or third) the idea of using a spray adhesive remover.

I have an ileostomy and use Coloplast products with good success so far and minimal skin issues.

For my innie stoma I use the SenSura® Mio Convex Light barrier (the click two piece system but they also make the same type in one piece as well).  With the Brava barrier ring / protective seal 4.2 mm thick, wear time is 3-4 days with no issue of leaks.  

I shower / wash hair and condition daily and the hot shower does not reduce the time between barrier changes.

The reason I prefer the one click two piece system is that I take the bag off to shower.

When removing the barrier / barrier ring I use the spray first to get the appliances off, taking my time letting the spray seep around the barrier ring and barrier surfaces then clean up with the wipe directly followed by a shower.

For what its worth I have tried other brands of barrier rings and felt they melted too easily, the Brava rings stay on well and do not melt as much.

when I first put on the new barrier the very outside edges look as if they are not going to stick but I have found that they always do, I am assuming due to body heat warming them up.

good luck.

cygo

cygo
Ileostomy

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chelly  ... Hello Chelly & Welcome to VO! This is a great place to figure out what tips work best for you.  

STICKY MESSES... I've used a  product called "SOLVO PLAST",  google it, its safe for removing sticky grossness from pouch wear to taking stickers & lables off pretty much anything & YES, its safe for skin!   I used it for 7 years before discovering thru Eric that there were adhesive remover sprays.  Its relatively cheap & was purchased by asking for it from the Pharmacist.   It does have a strong smell so RINSE SKIN well before applying Barrier wipes or sprays.

Try this... clean a section of the sensitive skin inside your forearm & give it a spray in one area with one shot or wipe or Barrier Spray & another part of skin with 2 shots of spray or wipes.  Air or blow Dry the area.  Once done & you can see the differences, repeat with removers to see exactly what it looks & feels like where you can actually have a good look at your skin.

Residue buildup is a silent thing.  I had a lot of skin issues & leaks before joining here.  I Spent a pouch change & extra time & product removing that residue. It made all the difference for me. I'll admit I was surprised how much cleaning it took to remove that buildup.  My skin actually squeaked under an adhesive remover wipe it was so clean afterwards  & now that I know it can buildup like that, I always spend extra time at each pouch change making sure I've removed it from any where the sprays land esp. around ny stoma area.  

Have you tried washing your hair after a shower in a sink after a shower especially if your using products that may interfere with pouch adhesion or are perfumed. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@john68 thank you!! I’m using cera ring but never had issues for years until this durahesive pouch.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@cygo my first pouch at the hospital was a mio. Soon found out they would not stick and my skin very sensitive and the brava ring gave me a rash. It took much trial and error to find pouches to stick and rings to not irritate my skin. 
I have had bags fall off of me in bed while I’m sleeping. Not good. 
it seems the only pouches that will stick to me are convatec activelife. They have the old fashioned clip at the bottom to empty but they stay on me. I think the tape collar has a lot to do with helping keeping it on too.  I had no adhesive issues with the stomahesive activelife but I was leaking due to my hernias and my stoma retracting. I had to go into the convex bag which has durahesive.?

we had a different sticky issue at my home and then at my job as well. Not sure if something got transferred but trying to get to the bottom of it. 

I guess I have a sweating issue as well and I literally have to have a fan blowing on me when I change my bags. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck thanks so much for letting me know about that remover. It seems I got it off with that krud kutter wipe but has now reappeared. I’m going to look for the stuff you used. I’m defiantly going to get a spray as well. 
I have always spent time cleaning the area but as of recent I started having trouble. It does look like they are melting underneath when I take them off. 
I also scheduled with the stoma nurse but can’t get in till the end of the month. I may have to change pouches if it is this durahesive. What I can’t figure out is I used them since last winter and no issues but like you say that build up is a silent thing. I really miss my stomahesive bags but they do not make them in convex. 
I appreciate all you have shared. I will let you know how your suggestions work out.

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chelly  ... I'm glad I could help a little. I used "Solvo Plast" for a long time to remove my pouch & build up too, but one of Erics Videos told about the spray. The SP never hurt my stoma. 

Remember I had to ask the Pharmacist for that bottle of liquid also make sure you have cotton balls or something else to put the liquid on. Good Luck! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Mrs Shoob
(@mrs-shoob)

@chelly So sorry to hear of all the issues you are having. I use an adhesive spray remover (on prescription as I'm lucky enough to live in Bonnie Scotland) and it is brilliant. If I don't use it then my skin is ripped off & bleeds when removing the bag. I agree with John that spraying it on the bag, rather than the skin, definitely helps and spraying a little from the top & left & right works wonders as the spray makes its way all around the bag and it literally falls off (make sure to hold the bag at this stage as I've almost dropped mine!). I too have the same issue with the bag going soft in the shower and especially the top section with the tab - I saw there are shower protections on a website recently so maybe that might help? I once tried to put a small shower cap over the bag but surprise surprise it just fell off. Good Luck with getting rid of the sticky mess ?

Colostomy since Nov 2021 ¦ Colorectal Cancer

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck hi, the solvoplast looks like only available in Canada unless it may be under a different name here in the United States. 
today I had to take my bag off with oily hair conditioner. Unreal. 
but I did speak with convatec again and hollister. Convatec sending me samples of the lighter adhesive which is the stomahesive bag but not extended wear. 
Hollister the rep was very informative she explained I should not be rinsing my bag as that may be why the wafer melts to my skin and may be why I’m changing so often. 
if I don’t rinse I get poop stuck up at the top though and it just makes me feel dirty with poop still left in the bag. I guess I just have to try and bite the bullet and not rinse and just wipe out the bottom. 
the way the Hollister rep explained it though made perfect sense. Convatec has been great throughout as well. 
this problem has me depressed and broke. I have to keep replacing socks , shoes and towels because whatever it is is getting onto my feet and transfers. Not to mention everywhere!! Very depressed and cry a lot due to this. 
it may be something else though I’m trying to figure this out. But with the new bag samples coming from both Hollister and convatec, I will know if it was my bag or not. I really love this bag I’m in and will be a shame if I have to give it up.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@mrs-shoob hi and thank you for the warm welcome. Yes I really do need to try a spray remover. Just waiting on my paycheck to come in. Yeah I have tried baggies taped over it, press and seal, I bought covers online but thus far water gets under everything. I found the press and seal to work the best but you have to tape the crap out of it to ensure no leaks and then the tape can become very expensive to keep buying. 
I have often thought if someone can invent something that really works for this they will be rich.

Mrs Shoob reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Just an update. The pouch convatec sent with stomahesive barrier with convexity was great but the first shower it started to peel off my skin at the bottom. Put a Hollister cera plus convex on today and within 30 minutes I was pancaking and leaking around the stoma area. I could also smell my output. Filter maybe? 
this so frustrating. I see the stoma nurses on Tuesday but I can’t just switch bags without finding one that is going to work out. I’m almost half tempted to go back to my non convex pouch and try to figure out a way. 

I’d really love to hear from people who are using or have tried the active life convex with durahesive to know if they had this sticky problem as well. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

Put a Hollister cera plus convex on today and within 30 minutes I was pancaking and leaking around the stoma area. I could also smell my output. Filter maybe? 

I don't use the convex wafers, but have used Hollister bags for years. Smells, if they happen, often take several days (more than 5), and even then, that shouldn't happen.

Usually, if a filter gets clogged and leaks through, then you'll notice a smell. The filter will be visibly wet, but this is rare with Hollister filters in such a short timeframe. 

Does your stoma protrude after putting the appliance on, or does it retract from time to time? A retraction will increase the risk of output getting underneath the wafer, but the convexity should help to push your stoma out, so this doesn't happen.

Hopefully your stoma nurse will be able to better assess the situation for you.

I'm not a user of the Active Life product line, so I'm hoping that someone who does use it can chime in to give feedback on that.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy hi, yes the stoma will push out when I put on the convex bag. I can’t wait to go to the stoma nurse about this on Tuesday. 

yes, hoping too that someone on the activelife convex will chime in with a review of how it worked for them and any tips for my situation. The pouch works perfectly except this sticky situation. But as I say I’m not even sure if it’s the pouch causing this stickiness. I do know that using adhesive remover makes it 10 times stickier for some reason but I just got my bottle of spray adhesive remover in the mail today so I’m hoping this can resolve the issue. 

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Chelly , I can’t comment either on that appliance. But although the flush stoma ain’t ideal, a lot of members have good results. Question are you living in a hot climate or a workplace that is hot.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@john68 hi, I live in a climate with 4 seasons. We did have a very hot summer. Humid and I’m a sweater with humidity. I do rinse the pouch but with cold water. I used the spray adhesive remover as Eric and others have suggested and what a difference! I was able to get the area very clean today. I did have to go over it with alcohol after getting most of it off and then a shower. I’m hoping this resolves it but time will tell. so glad I joined here. It’s great that we can share experience and tips for each other. I will keep you all posted on the progress with this spray.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5