Clear all

Hollister wafer options

6 Posts
4 Users
5 Likes
Topher_88
(@topher_88)
Topic starter  

Hi, I am new to this forum and have only had my ileostomy for about 4 wks. I'm currently using Coloplast Sensura Mio 1-piece system which overall works fine. I do use an Eakin wafer for additional skin protection and have not had any issues. However, I'm interested in trying some of the two piece systems as I'm young and fairly active and hope to eventually rotate and use with a stealthbelt. I've ordered a sample of the Coloplast 2-piece click system. However, I'm also looking at that Hollister 2 piece system but confused by the wafer options. How do I decide if I want "with tape" or "without tape?" There are also several wafer options (ceraplus, flexwear, flextend, etc). I've tried to look at some of the reviews already posted, but haven't found a good comparison of the different options. Seems like ceraplus or flextend would be a good place to start since they say "extended wear" on the website, but wondering if anyone has experience with the different options.

Thanks,

Chris

VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, Chris! Good questions, and good for you for wanting to try new products out!
Posted by: @topher_88

How do I decide if I want "with tape" or "without tape?"

This is a personal preference. The "without tape" will have hydrocolloid throughout the entire wafer, while the "with tape" will only have it in the area surrounding your stoma.

In my experience, "without tape" versions of wafers tend to get gooey along the edges when I shower, so I've used "with tape" wafers for many years.

The "without tape" version, however, may be more skin-friendly to some.

There are also several wafer options (ceraplus, flexwear, flextend, etc).

Yeah, that can get pretty confusing for sure.

For an ileostomy, Ceraplus or Flextend should work well, as both are designed to handle more aggressive output. Ceraplus is designed for people who have drier skin, but the difference in my experience hasn't been significant vs Flextend.

Extended wear wafers also handle sweat from activity better than standard wafers.

I've had excellent luck with both Flextend and Ceraplus in both the 2pc and 1pc versions, even after 7 days of wear and regular bicycle riding.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Topher_88
(@topher_88)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response. That's very helpful. And thanks for the great resources on this website!

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)

Hi Chris,

Welcome.

After my ileostomy surgery I placed several sample orders with Coloplast, they have good customer service and shipped quickly.   I rang them a few times with questions on their products and most calls ended up with a sample being sent to me.

Having tried different combinations and another brand I am now using SenSura® Mio Click Convex Light Barrier (the click system) with the Brava 4.2 thick protective seal (Moldable barrier ring).  Convex because my stoma became slightly sunken.

For me this is secure during activities.

I tried a stealth belt and went with the horizontal and wish I had tried the vertical. 

My reason is I do not like to rotate the bag or empty it while it is horizontal.  The one time I did this to try out the stealth belt I did not get the bag on all the way / or did not click it properly and it popped of while I was cleaning it. (I rinse bag rather vigorously every time I empty it).

This was totally operator error no question, but it put me off rotating the bag to wear horizontally.  

Everyone seems to have their favorite brand / products that work for them, with a bit or trial and error you will find what you like best.

Good luck

cygo

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Et1
 Et1
(@et1)

Hiya,

I've only had my ileostomy since July 2020 and have used 1 piece soft convex from the start.  Ive sampled a few, but have to say i'm not entirely satisfied with my pouch system.  After alot of forum reading i decided to request a few samples of the 2 piece system.  It may be a fluke, but i've now been just over 24 hours into wearing my first 2 piece system and it feels really comfortable.

What i wanted to know is how do i know which pouches can match which baseplate, as i like the baseplate of the Sensura Mio Convex light, but i'm not a fan of the tail on the pouch - having used this version of 1 piece (its too flexible for me and i end up getting waste all over my fingers), i prefer a more rigid tail as others have.    

Ive read that these items are colour coded, but i order from Coloplast Charter and i see no colour coding on their web site.

If anyone has any advice on whether i can mix and match it would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @et1

What i wanted to know is how do i know which pouches can match which baseplate

This can be confusing, for sure! I tend to go to the manufacturer website directly, as it's often easier to see what matches with what.

But even then, it can get more confusing once you see various options for the bag (with and without filter, transparent or fabric, midi or maxi size, etc.).

Yes, some brands will have some system to identify compatible flanges, but not all.

My suggestion, since you're used to the 1-pc, is to get in touch with Coloplast and say that you want the same or similar appliance in a 2pc, and see what part numbers you get. You should be able to request samples before actually placing an order for anything.

Generally speaking, bags and wafers only work with products of the same product line (i.e. Sensura Mio with Sensura Mio).

It doesn't help that Coloplast have a line called Sensura, and one called Sensura Mio, and those will not be compatible with each other.

I hope that helps a little, but feel free to ask more questions, as this learning curve can take some effort to get past.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote