Community Forums

Need Wafer Suggestions  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 26, 2018 11:01 pm  

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I think I'll try... Everything!

I actually have a bunch of new supplies coming so that's pretty exciting. When I was talking to the girl at Hollister, she said that the barrier spray reduces the adherence abilities of the rings. Which is interesting because I LOAD on the barrier spray. Maybe I'll try it without.

Another one of my problems, and I wonder if anyone else had this, my stoma is sorta bulbous, and when I put any wafer on it I fear it is scraping moisture off the Stoma. That's why I've been sticking it to the skin directly.

Its funny (well.. not really... Funny) my problems started a long time ago and it was immediately after I mentioned on HERE that I was getting a good 4-5 days before I needed to change. Then it started going down hill and I've never recovered. 

Anyhow, thanks again for all suggestions. I'll try them all out ☺️

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 27, 2018 12:19 am  
Posted by: Chris

When I was talking to the girl at Hollister, she said that the barrier spray reduces the adherence abilities of the rings. Which is interesting because I LOAD on the barrier spray. Maybe I'll try it without.

Yes! Barrer wipes and sprays can negatively impact many adhesives, especially "extended wear products". That's why I don't really recommend them to most people.

Another one of my problems, and I wonder if anyone else had this, my stoma is sorta bulbous, and when I put any wafer on it I fear it is scraping moisture off the Stoma. That's why I've been sticking it to the skin directly.

I can totally understand this. I err on the side of cutting wafer slightly larger than it needs to be when my stoma is particularly plump. I do this because I know that the edges of the part I just cut will swell up a bit and can fill in any space I've left. If I were to cut it to size, I'll experience pain when I have a bowel movement because the wafer will dig into my stoma (bleeding will be there when I remove the appliance). 

Best of luck, Chris! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 27, 2018 11:33 am  

Hello Chris,

If you can stand some more input ( better than output...lame attempt at a joke!).

I stick the barrier ring to the wafer before I put it on my now clean  dry and toasty skin. I think the whole thing sticks better this way..both the wafer and ring to each other and to my skin.

So after I get them stuck together ( the wafer and ring) I work to prep the area. Dry and warm it ( hair dryer), then I put the thin bead of stoma powder down just around the ring. I try to keep it off of the rest of the area that is to be under the wafer. I kind of mound it up with my fingernail so there is a solid ring around my stoma. THEN I blow off the remainder with my hair dryer. O.K. so now its almost ready .. the last thing I do is dry my stoma with the microfibre towel ( a paper towel would probably work). That gets the moisture that you mentioned in your last note all dried up too. So then, when I push the whole thing down to my skin, it doesn't scrape off moisture and re wet that area. The dreaded squeegee effect.

It is a tight fit, and I have to use gentle pressure to get it down. But this is working for me. No blockages as a result.

However, pay attention to what Eric has experienced. If you feel like not enough output is happening over a few hours or so ( or any PAIN!!), just pop it all off and try another time with a slightly looser fit.. I know its tedious, but worth it.

(I should also note that I do all this lying down propped up on pillows ( my nest). I find gravity helps and I am more relaxed.  I know TMI!)

I am sure we all have our individual tics on this ( like baseball players tapping their shoes), but you will get it.

Also  worth remembering is that the whole process is up to US now... not the doctors. So we are at least finally in control of this aspect. An aspect that  we probably all can appreciate with great joy.

as we say in California, Buena suerte

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 12:15 pm  

Chris, Dona is right-- IT is up to us now..  We are all different and have different tirals and errors for OUR OWN adjustments of our stomas, What applaiances work for some don't work for others. I use tissues to pat dry.. As my Nellie (stoma) is very active, I sit on a chair and get everything ready before hand  as like Dona does.  She is in bed, I am in the bathroom on a chair with old towels to sit on.. ( for Nellies out spoken bursts. ) as their are many.  YES, relaxing is the best.. Your choice.  I find comfort in the bathroom with every thing ready.  When I and Nellie is ready I stand and slap on her new dress.. ( first as sitting place the bottom of seal THAT HAS ALREADY BEED FORMED WITH WAFFER AND POUCH CONNECTED. stand and pres. DO NOT RUB YOUR STOMA MUCH - THIS IRRATES THE SORES AND WILL GIVE YOU SORES.. I HAVE A SKIN ISSUE. I think u do too-

As your sores, I have already explained to you about the anti-b cream,.  You first want to get this taken care of asap.  DON NOT PUT THE CREAM OTHER THAN JUST AROUND YOUR STOMA BASE. In a few days you will see improvement. Once this has happened, no more anti-b cream.  NO PASTE, NO POWDER ETC.  During this.. Let your seal ring absorb and fluid your out put.  === When your all cleared of sores, go back to the normal.. I think the paste is a problem, Wad for me.  Got all over the place and to many leaks of getting sores right away.  So try my above.. of the anti-b-cream. (helped me a lot-and I was back to normal and ready to try different seals etc.  The crusting method, did not help  me at all, the powder felt like it has some kind of rough particles in it - like saw dust.  Made my sores worse.  This is the TEXT BOOK crap...... We are not text book!!! 

But if this doesn't work, see your Dr. Something may be under lying of another problem. (which I doubt) But professional matters are best to see if there IS an underlying issue. Give yourself a good week of what I do, IT takes time. (there is that stupid word again TIME--/I prefer took BACK and say to myself ahh, it took time - after the fact)  :-) Remember, This method of mine worked for me and you will feel such relief the minute you start in 1 minute.  But moving around a lot is not good and there is this Anti-B cream OF DOTS.. And if your like me and so sore, I didn't move around at all unless I had to. Hurts to much. Right?  So, get started, see how thing work, and if not after a week see the Dr.

So relax, and have fun with  your adventure... OF GETING RID OF THOSE SORES!!!!!!  --This is not for the whole wafer affect.. Just the base of the stoma, and u will see that things will aid themselves and my procedure hopefully clears u up.  I think your using to much stuff and don't forget, the companies are in SELLING their product .. They are reading from their TEXT again.. They are not an ostomate.. WE ARE !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sending blessings to you and hope your feeling better. EMIT spelled it backwards for ya.. :-)  Marcie........... 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 1, 2018 10:59 pm  

Thanks. I've just recieved a few samples from Hollister. Some 1pc and 2pc convex and a few of their rings. Going to try it tomorrow.

I think too much. On that note, I'm thinking my problem is a combo. One.. I think when I wear guards, they press on my stoma and make it bulb, then when it relaxes, there is a gap between the ring and the Stoma and output goes in there.

I ALSO think that my son's was positioned too low, and when I sit in my car my leg prys of the locking ring a bit creating a gap where output can get to the skin.

I ALSO think that my Stoma shoots sideways under the ring. 

I ALSO think that I've gained a fair bit of weight lately and I have a valley on the bottom half of my peristomal skin. And the wafer doesn't stick well because of that.

I want to try to find a nurse I can pay to consider and investigate all these things because mine won't.

Anyway, in the interim, I'll try all your suggestions. I'm making a Mish mash tomorrow. I'm going to stand but somehow get the powder all the way around, add Dona suggested. And try the new products.

Good luck to me.

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 2, 2018 12:07 am  

Wow, Chris! Yeah, there's a lot to consider there!

If you have the option, would you be open to "telenursing"? I may have a place I can refer you to where a stoma nurse and you basically do a video conference rather than a face-to-face appointment. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Zvitusk and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 2, 2018 3:03 am  

Chris, could be any of the points you raised, On the valley you mentioned a ring or part of a ring would be useful to fill the dip. and a nurse to look at first hand really is yer first step. all the veyy best.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

kenf11 and Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 2, 2018 10:25 am  

Yes Eric! I would love that contact! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Please and thank you.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 2, 2018 1:36 pm  

Thanks John.. ya I've been using a bit of ring in that dip. I think I may have a double whammy however of a dip and a recessing stoma so it shoots shit under the ring. Anyway.. it's frustrating.

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 2, 2018 1:42 pm  

Hi Chris, you said about new supplies have you had a chance to try out or still waiting

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 2, 2018 2:47 pm  

I put on a hollister convex 1 PC this morning. I'm already itchy :(

I used adapt ring in the Valley then put one around the edge of the wafer. It could be because I had trouble lining up the 1pc. It was my first time. I was a virgin 1 pc'er.

Anyway, I should change now because I'm itchy and my skin was bad this AM but I've eaten a boatload and I can't bring myself to go through that kind of change with my stoma so active. o Better to stop eating early this evening and wait until tomorrow and do damage control.

There was a time that I was okay with this stupid stoma, but I'm becoming increasingly less pleased with the decision.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 2, 2018 3:00 pm  

I have never used a one piece and can see how they would be tricky until ye get used to. seen a post on here where a member was using what they called the taco method bending it. eating marshmallows prior to a change will slow the output. Keep yer chin up. easy for me to say I know but this will get sorted. plus when you do that call with the nurse may be do the change and let her see the skin, stoma and what you do

kenf11 and Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
kenf11
(@kenf11)
Registered
March 2, 2018 3:59 pm  

Thanks Z. I am most defenitly going to try surgical tape idea. I move around a bit at night and think this may give me a bit more security. It seems like wafer diameters are getting smaller. Maybe it's me getting bigger. IDK

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
March 2, 2018 5:26 pm  

I agree with John68. Go to your WOCN .

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
March 2, 2018 6:11 pm  

Check into that revision if possible . Stomas  are life savers and when done correctly can give a good worry free life . Don't live frustrated and in discomfort if there is something that can hopefully be done to correct the problem. Stay strong my friend. I send you positive vibes . 

Be well , Bubbles 

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 11, 2018 12:01 pm  

Hey Dona,

What do u mean exactly but right fit. Does the Eakin Ring TOUCH the stoma right when u apply it? 

I've been doing better as of late.. I think it might be because I've gone on an unsafe "unbinge" diet. It's really great.. you just don't eat. I've lost 5 lbs in just over a week it seems. It's amazing what you're willing to go through when you have the right motivation. 

I'm ACTUALLY paying attention to healthy eating and just majorly reducing my caloric intake while increasing my caloric burning. But I'm VERY motivated as I need to fix this situation.

I'm getting two days. I'm filling a valley with 3/4 Eakin Ring then using the remainder around the wafer. 

But I'm wondering about that "fit" Dona. When u apply the wafer with the ring attached, at THAT point.. can u see any peristomal skin? Or does the run turtleneck the stoma?

Thanks

Chris

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 11, 2018 12:49 pm  

Hi Chris, That's great progress, Dona if you don,t mind me jumping in here. Have a look at the video on broken skin which shows Eric applying a ring.

https://www.veganostomy.ca/healing-skin-around-the-stoma/

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 11, 2018 12:57 pm  

Ps, putting the ring on the wafer is a great way to apply, but the video will give you an idea of fit.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 1:38 pm  

Hi Chris,

( and everyone).

I am happy you are getting more control over things. Always a good feeling.

As to your question...I do make a kind of turtleneck with the Eakins ring inside the opening on the wafer. How well this would work for you would of course depend on how much space there is between your stoma and the wafer. I seem to have just enough to do this and form kind of a collar. I can see no peristomal skin exposed when I set this in place ( I use a two piece). I do put that thin layer of stoma powder just around the base of the stoma and blow the excess away with my trusty hair dryer.

So of course I do apply the ring to the wafer first, then put it down on my skin. I them warm everything up some more and apply pressure. Keeping everything warm and dry really seems to help.. and pressure after you set it.  ( I have a short piece of PVC pipe that just fits onto the inside flange around the stoma...doesn't touch right down next to the stoma. I think this helps get a good even set when I apply pressure to it.)

I hope this helps, but ask more questions if you think it might help.  I have some pictures somewhere, if I could figure out how to post them.

I am pulling for you! You will get this sorted.   I am getting four of five days consistently now .. occasionally more if I have to push it, but I try to change every four to five days and not wait for it to fail. And good going on going for the heathy eating option...always a good choice.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

kenf11 and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 3:50 pm  

O.K. I got some pictures so I can post them!

1520797835-stickySideOfWafer-copy.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register