RSS

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 3:51 pm  

Ready to paste to my body

1520797891-flangeSideOfWafer.jpeg

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 3:52 pm  

Installed

1520797945-waferInstalled.jpeg

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 3:57 pm  

Sorry, we had to do three separate posts to get all these pictures.

PICTURE 1

The first one is from the back, after I have attached the Eakins ring to the Hollister wafer.

A note here... do this while holding the wafer upside facing you, and put the Eakins ring on from the back. That way you can get it centered just right. Then press it down and smooth it out.

PICTURE 2

The second picture shows the wafer with the ring attached ready to go on. You can see I have wrapped a bit of the ring around the inside edge of the wafer hole.

PICTURE 3

The Third picture shows the whole thing attached to my body , creating a very good seal..some of the Eakins ring kind of gushes up . Once again .. this will depend on the fit of your wafer Re: the size of your stoma. I have a bit of room there, but not much, as you can see.

Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
March 11, 2018 8:10 pm  

So Dona, that first picture.. it looks like a huge ring. What size is it? Its not one of the slimmer ines then? It looks like it's out on the wafer,  then moulded to have a pointy ridge thats not really center. It looks as though there is a bevel as it scrapes against the stoma? 

kenf11 and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 9:50 pm  

Hi Chris,

Its just a regular size Eakins ring. I think there are just these and the thin ones. It  is just under 2 inches in diameter, and the hole in the center is about 5 /8 of an inch. It is very pliable stuff so it spreads out a bit as I press it on tightly to the wafer.  I then just smooth it out on the outer edge so that the transition is more gradual from the Eakins ring to the wafer.

Make sense? It doesn't really scrape the stoma as it is so soft, it does slide down it as I apply it.

I make sure my stoma is very dry before I do this...minimizes the squeegee effect. Use a paper towel of something just before you set it down ( I use a microfibre wash cloth). The stoma powder is underneath just around the stoma and can not be seen in these pictures..

I don't know what you mean by 'pointy ridge thats not really center' ???

The wafer is  Holister New image ( CeraPlus..Remois)  New Image 11505 44mm ( I -3/4" outer and 22mm ( 7/8 " opening in the center)  The whole wafer is 4 inches across. And.. has tape borders which I like as they make a good transition to my skin ...nice and smooth.

I should also note that this is a light convexity wafer ( I think light) doesn't say on the package.

That is because my stoma retracts (goes flush) sometimes and my stoma nurse said to try these. ( used to leak before I switched to convex).

What are you using now? What have you tried?

I know its harder for you since you have to fill a dip, right? and your stoma is not round?

I may have mis remembered this ( wouldn't be the first time).

It did take a while to get everything to work. My stoma, like yours, changed for a few months..and also has a tendency to go flush with my body.

.Its a precut and I am lucky I can use those.

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
March 11, 2018 10:06 pm  

Hi again! Yes.. Now I see what you are referring to in picture number one. That ridge forms when I squish it out on the edges... I smooth it a bit more to flatten it before I apply it, but it looks bigger in the picture than it really is. And, since everything is warm when I apply it to my stomach, it flattens out then when I apply pressure. I try not to handle the ring too much as I think it reduces its adhesiveness ( just my observation .. ).

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 1, 2018 2:30 pm  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

Wow, Chris! Yeah, there's a lot to consider there!

If you have the option, would you be open to "telenursing"? I may have a place I can refer you to where a stoma nurse and you basically do a video conference rather than a face-to-face appointment. 

Hi Chris, this is the offer for online help from  Eric. sorry not sure how to put it under the new post!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
kenf11
(@kenf11)
Registered
April 5, 2018 10:29 am  

Hey Chris, I have the same problems that you describe. I have been following this post with great interest. Found a few things that seem to be working for me. Instead of using the rings I use half of string paste and roll it in my hands and put it just around the hole. I then use small pieces to fill scar creases (not too much). I use a blow dryer to make sure everything is warm and dry before applying barrier. I am getting between 6&7 days. I try to not eat anything after 6 pm as it seems Tomas the Stomas is most active around 4am. Hope this helps.

Chris and Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 5, 2018 6:02 pm  

Thanks Ken, I'll try that for sure. 

I SWEAR I posted here a while ago about my current condition, but it's not here. 

Anyway, what I did post was that I did call that telenurse to book a consultation, and they looked very promising, but as I lost weight I had a couple changes where I got three days and I cancelled the consultation. I didn't want to waste the call as they do the consultation for free, but hope you consider their company for supplies. Its a WOCN, so it's worth it if people need to try it. Especially good for people who don't have close access to a nurse.

Anyway, since then I've fallen back to the 1-3 changes a day. Currently I've gone the last three changes at 1/day.

Regarding the wafer wear.. I appreciate knowing what everyone does so I can try it too. 

Lately I've been drying the skin well, applying some kind of barrier spray, drying that, and then using a paper towel, I wrap the stoma so I can access the skin tondry it better and get the ring to stick right on the skin on dry skin as close to the stoma as possible. My stoma is bulbous so this is helping.

Anyway.. I'm going to staet to try to stretch this out as I get the hang of it.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 6, 2018 5:30 pm  

Hey Ken.. do you feel there is a difference between the rings and the string paste? Obviously you do, but pardon my ignorance as Ive never used string paste, but wouldnt an eakin ring rolled up the same as string paste rolled up? Im interested to know because Ill definitely try the string paste if it works differently.  I need something.

Chris

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 6, 2018 6:10 pm  

Hi Chris, I roll up the seal ring in my hands, long then press it around the hole in the wafer, (I use half of the ring) press this like a pie crust.. You may have left over seal - chuck it, make it nice..I have not gotten rash's of less leaks this way.. 2 years now.  If I use the whole seal ring as packaged, I get much rash's using the full seal ring as it is wider. The smaller the better for ME..  This keeps a better needed convetx that I need for an extra that they don't sell- Some convetx are to low or to deep.. Much more comfortable too ! Works for me.. Someone else here does the same thing on this blog.. Sometimes we have to make our own adjustments .  The less on the seal ring on your skin the better.. You can use slim or reg. rings. Save the other half for your next change. For soft convetx I use reg. seal ring (mio) and the reg. to deeper convetx I use the slim. Good luck ! get well...... sorry about the type-o's. :-)

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 6, 2018 6:26 pm  

Thanks Marcie..  I will try to use less of the eakin seal and see how that works.  My stoma definitely has a sharp ridge around it.  Plus I have a dip on one side.  Its ridiculous that these companies havent made some incredibly versitile bag that lasts months..  Ill bet its like the drug companies..  they wont allow anyone to cure cancer because then they'd be out of work.

I dont actually think thats true.. but fun to complain about :)

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 6, 2018 6:43 pm  

Chirs, I have a dip also-- Nellie talks out of one side of her mouth..  And she talks a lot!!! To much in fact !!!!!!!!! I use Ekin seals.. they absorb better and control- I get 3 days.. I Don't push it to 4 tho-- learned that lesson.. Sores !!!  We r in the same boat - all of us-- what works for one? may work for the other........ ????????? Hope your in better sprits soon (not with the wine tho) your stoma area!! :-)  I also lay on my sides at night if I can.. this helps the liquid move from the stoma.. This is a trick we r all having keeping that crap away from the stoma..  not an easy task is it????????  CHEEERS my friend..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 6, 2018 6:53 pm  

Ya, roll it like a ripe............ the press nicely........ get the picture? My visitor from a support group told me about this 2 years ago-- I was so excited that it worked for me. You may think that your need to change the wafer because it itches? The stoma area if itches, that is when your in trouble.. So, thin about that area before going at your skin.. You will get the hang of it, and know your area of your body.. u have to heal first.. and that can take a good week if things are normal.. I think your normal.. soon anyways.. IF u can keep your pouching system on for 2-3 days, your in a good run.. but if that stoma is really itching-then you have to clean it NICELY WITH SOFT CLOTH AND WATER, NOTHING ELSE!! And u know about air drying.. If I use the hair dryer, it bothers Nellie and she start talking again-so more rubbng.. and sores............ I just fan that area... she is rather fussy............ 

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 6, 2018 8:25 pm  

Chris, I meant rope...........   not ripe daaaaaaa.. and don't use anything else..  I tried paste, and I had to work hard at my stoma Nellie, to remove it..  and made her more sore.. I got no where.. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!! 

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
kenf11
(@kenf11)
Registered
April 7, 2018 6:30 am  

Hi Chris, It sounds like you,Marcie and myself (probably many others ) are dealing with the same things. My stoma is lower on one side, I have a good size hernia on the bottom right quadrant and a crease on the left side. The scar tissue on the right side is very close to where my navel used to be. And I have no muscles left due to all the surgeries leaving my stomach soft. I have been trying Hollister 1pc 8954 and having good luck with it the outer ring is not as thick as Coloplast and seems to bend with me when I am sitting or bending over. I use medical tape around the edges to keep it from rolling. I find if I use a little less (just eneough to soften cut hole) of the eakin ring ,this gives me better adhesion. But still it's all trial and error. I moved to New Brunswick last Oct. from south Ont. and I am still on a waiting list to find a Dr. let alone a peristomal nurse. Keep trying , there is a solution .

Ken

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 7, 2018 2:15 pm  

But Chris, Kenf --we will find a way huh ?????????? 

Mark, glad your having fun with this wafer/video  bit..  How much r u doing with it??  Gonna be the poster man??????  

Good morning Z, and Robert... :-) 

kenf11 and Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3