Community Forums

Cymed ostomy product changes  

Page 2 / 8
  RSS

TammyB1022
(@tammyb1022)
Registered
May 15, 2018 12:55 pm  

I use a prescription one because the doctor felt it was the only one with safe amounts of Mercury. I hate taking Fish Oil anyway since it goes against my Vegan beliefs.

ReplyQuote
TammyB1022
(@tammyb1022)
Registered
May 15, 2018 1:08 pm  

The style number for the Velcro ones is 78432V....that might just be for my size 1 1/4''. It is the style number of whatever you use and add a V to the end. I don't know if they are available to order yet. Nina sent them to me after having me return the defective boxes a few times.  They are pretty comfortable to wear. The Velcro part is not always lined up correctly at the mouth and it seems like the product might leak a tiny bit in some spots. I think it still needs some fine tuning. I often get little stains on the cloth cover, but I can't figure out where it is leaking from. It might be from the Velcro holes.

ReplyQuote
Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
May 17, 2018 5:22 pm  

Hey, I’ve been wearing the 2 piece closed end 8” pouch for 10 years. I’ve seen some changes in Cymeds bags but haven’t seen enough of a change for the worse to contact the company and or to seek out a support group. Well that changed yesterday. New product changed significantly for the worse. I’ve never had a problem with smell or if I did It was user error or with the split seam which was easily written off as a bad batch. Well this is completely different. The filter is cheap and the new material is even cheaper. I am devastated as I do not want to go through the whole process of finding a low profile product that I can swim in comfortably let alone be in a normal public place without being horrified because my product isn’t even holding the smell at bay. Not a notice of change just open a box and a regularly thin product is now significantly thinner and not in a good way. I’ve emailed quality control but any options of 2 piece closed end pouches that are similar that you could guide me too would be awesome. I literally just walked in the door from the chiropractor in tears because I smell. Seriously sucks!!! 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 17, 2018 11:19 pm  

Welcome to the forums, Momof3boys.

That's heartbreaking for sure. I'm in shock they'd allow this to continue knowing there's a lot of complaints and problems from long-term users.

I wonder if most people just move onto something else without bothering to contact Cymed about the problem. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
May 18, 2018 12:22 am  

I actually Emailed quality control and had a great phone conversation with one of their QC guys and an email from Nina. They were very prompt and were surprised I had Just received the new product as it has been out for approximately a year. They have had multiple complaints and should have at least the filter fixed from the new circle one back to the original one within a few months. I also discussed at length the lack of the product being opaque, and a few other concerns. They were very grateful for my feedback and said that things would be changing soon. Glad I emailed and left my phone number in the email. These companies really do need our feedback. If we want to get the “perfect” ostomy bag we as users need to give as much feedback as possible. Thanks for starting the conversation!! 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 19, 2018 1:00 am  
Posted by: TammyB1022

I use a prescription one because the doctor felt it was the only one with safe amounts of Mercury. I hate taking Fish Oil anyway since it goes against my Vegan beliefs.

Hi Tammy,

Perhaps we can start a new thread about this to discuss why you're taking fish oil and what alternatives are available.  A great place might be THIS category. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 19, 2018 1:02 am  
Posted by: Momof3boys

They were very grateful for my feedback and said that things would be changing soon. Glad I emailed and left my phone number in the email. These companies really do need our feedback. If we want to get the “perfect” ostomy bag we as users need to give as much feedback as possible. Thanks for starting the conversation!! 

I'm really glad to hear that they've been receptive! I'd be really interested in knowing what your experiences are like once they've got everything sorted out. 

ReplyQuote
jazz99
(@jazz99)
Registered
May 20, 2018 2:23 pm  

Long post warning! ;-)

So glad to find this discussion! I LOVE the Cymed microskin and the OLD version of their 78400V. These were literally my perfect bags. The adhesion system is lightweight, completely waterproof, stays adhered no matter what, and my very fussy skin tolerates it (which is rare). The pouch itself seemed identical to my previous favorite Stomocur (from Germany), which is no longer available in the US. And then last fall -- as everybody has noted -- they started making this new inferior (terrible!) pouch under the same product number. I engaged in a lengthy email correspondence with Nina (their QC person), and provided a lot of detailed feedback, including photos of the manufacturing defects that rendered several bags in every box unusable. I tried a couple of other "slim" one piece products from other companies, but none of them worked well for me, and have been putting up with these terrible Cymed pouches to keep the adhesion system. (I'd love to hear from other fans of "minimalist" pouching systems what you have found to replace Cymed -- thank you!)

There have now been three versions of the "remodel" that i have received since last fall. All of them are the small sized, odor-prone, noisy, narrow-band plastic "velcro" closure (that, as others have noted, either leaks or is nearly impossible to empty without getting poop on your hands), and "wings" that fall off or even arrive detached out of the box. The plastic strips of the roll-bottom closure are randomly applied and so uneven as to make closure impossible on several bags in each box. The quality of the "cloth" cover doesn't bother me, as it does others, and seems the same as their old one. (I never liked their plastic mesh covers.)

After weeks of correspondence with Nina, who insisted that customers were giving positive feedback on the product changes (!?!?!?!), I suggested that they could keep this inferior product, but to bring back the old one and i bet i would not be the only one willing to pay more for it. Nina said she was developing new products for Cymed... Of course the best "new" product would be a return to their old one!

I had just been thinking of reaching out to her again... One of the interval changes included an inferior release paper system -- which Nina insisted was no different, except it was. And the latest batch has gone back to the old release paper.

I'm encouraged by seeing everyone's unanimous disgust with the changes and wonder if enough of us continue to flood them with this "feedback" it might cause additional returns to previously valued features? I also wonder if ostomy advocates like Eric and his peers, who represent large numbers of ostomates, and influence MANY potential customers (including new ostomates) with their product reviews, made a unified effort it might have some impact.

Thanks all for reading this long post and for any advocacy toward this cause. It is for me, and i have to imagine for others, a real quality of life issue. There is no other company -- or please let me know if there is (!) -- with a comparable product/ adhesion system.

ReplyQuote
Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
May 20, 2018 2:41 pm  
  1. THIS is exactly what we need to do. I had a long conversation, not with Nina but another QC employee. They really genuinely seem interested in what we have to say. These products are so far below from what they were. I have to put the tape over my filter or I smell like a public bathroom. It’s mortifying. We HAVE to continue to keep the lines of communication open so that these companies know when they make these large changes they need to understand how this effects our quality of life. 

ReplyQuote
Tom Duerr
(@tduerr7)
Registered
May 20, 2018 3:18 pm  

I used Cymed for about 7 years......loved it and was in constant contact with their QC Manager. After July of 2016 (I believe the item # was 81300V) Cymed changed the wafer and adhesive on this product and did not tell anyone. After many of the new 81300v products pancaked I called them and found out from the QC manager that they indeed changed the wafer. Previously they used the wafer manufactured by Salts (England). I called every ostomy products warehouse in the US and bought every box of 81300V that was made prior to July of 2016. These 10 boxes lasted me almost a year while I tried every sample I could get my hands on from other companies when my stash ran out. Also I was trying to work with Cymed to see if they could help and why they make major changes to their products without telling anyone. Nina was now in QC and she could not care less. In fact she hung up on me after saying I was disrespectful???? When I found out that Salts made the original wafer, I contacted them. They indeed made the wafer material for Cymed but in 2016 Cymed evidently went with another vendor, The Salts people were super. They sent me samples of their products . However, none of them worked for me, except one. CDSS1325 is a convex one piece with the same wafer material as the original Cymed product. It worked but had 2 draw backs: it was convex and was therefore more bulky and the outside edges would curl up....but no more pancaking! The other problem is that they do not have any distribution centers in the USA. I continue to stay in touch with Salts on getting a rep in the US and also to test their new products. I now have found a Salts rep in Canada. I ordered my last batch thru them (Argyle Medical)and will try to get these covered, after the fact, by Medicare and BCBS.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 21, 2018 4:04 pm  

sounds like nina gets lots of email, I too have emailed her, but she only replied to the first.

the new revision is horrible.  I have a colostomy and have been able to modify the tail so it functions like a coloplast sensura.    the filters are stinking after 2-3days.  I have had some success using spearmint oil from the health food store to almost mask the smell. smear it over the filter outlet.

I also ordered thin charcoal filter sheet from amazon, you can tuck a piece under the front cloth and it also works pretty good.  

these are the only bags that hold up to high activity or a whole lotta bending.

I may go back to coloplast if my experiment with surgical incision drape works, I think thats the same material as cymeds microskin, have some on order.

nice to find people who use cymed.  I started a post on uoaa but no one so far uses cymed over there.

jp

ReplyQuote
Mermaidspla2
(@mermaidspla2)
Registered
May 27, 2018 11:54 am  

They reply once, maybe twice but after that no replies.  Has anyone found a different ostomy product to replace the Cymed for long term users?

ReplyQuote
Mermaidspla2
(@mermaidspla2)
Registered
May 28, 2018 1:03 pm  

Cymed customer service will offer to send you replacements that end up being just as bad.  they don't want the bad lot returned. ( I assume because all of them are as bad as the replacements were.) They don't want pictures and after two emails & leaving word by phone message we never heard from them again & they don't respond to us.  I am sorry that all of us are going through this.  I have ordered a 5 pack of the Convatec one piece ostomy bags for my husband to try.  He has been an ostomy user since about age 5 and Cymed was the best and now so bad it has greatly affected his quality of life.  You all know how detrimental it is when you start leaking in any business meeting but with a major customer there is only honesty & humility & groveling to pull you out.  How terribly traumatic this is! Only users & family of users know.  Cymed you really have turned your back on us.  It seems someone took over who has no clue how the bags work or how important they were. Karma dude Karma.  I will let you know how the Convatec works for my husband.

ReplyQuote
Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
May 28, 2018 2:15 pm  

Hey, so this is an update to the post I did about how great Cymed was to work with. I thought The  main problem was with the filter . Ya, that’s not the whole problem. The filter IS a really bad but supposedly they are changing it in a few months. The bags smell. It doesn’t even matter if the filter gets changed. The thin bags are terrible. When I spoke with the QC guy he almost sounded defeated. I think the higher ups in the company forced the change for financial reasons. (All conjecture, nothing was said regarding this)  I’ll be honest. This is one of the hardest things about having to have a colostomy. The first few years going through different products, then finding your dream product to have it changed and you’re back to square one. It sucks. 

ReplyQuote
Mermaidspla2
(@mermaidspla2)
Registered
May 28, 2018 3:42 pm  

My heart is with you it does suck and has made our quality of life worse.  I guess welcome to the world of greed or the world of gee that's good enough, let's go have a beer. 

ReplyQuote
Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
May 28, 2018 3:59 pm  

If any of you don’t mind, I’m going to screen shot some of these posts and email them to Cymed. Please let me know if that isn’t something you are comfortable with. Someone needs to change this system. Most of these companies are run by people that have no idea what it’s like to live with an ostomy, unless an ostomate continues to fight for what we deserve it won’t happen. I’m fighting this. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 28, 2018 5:42 pm  

Momof3boys, 

Feel free to link to this discussion if it's easier! 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 28, 2018 5:56 pm  

Hi All, have been following this debate, would like to add my support to those ostomates having to put up with this nonsense!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Mermaidspla2
(@mermaidspla2)
Registered
May 28, 2018 6:13 pm  

Please do.  We can all dream that Cymed is still that best product and that this is all just a really bad nightmare.  Click your heels, knock on wood, throw salt over your shoulders.  Oh there's the salt been looking for that since Margaritaville.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 28, 2018 6:18 pm  

I agree.. this info needs to be widely available. If this is a product you have used reliably for any length of time  I can imagine the nightmare. And for new ostomates, it would be good if they knew this BEFORE they settled on a brand.

This does seem to happen to many formerly great products. Its a shame.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 8
Share:

Please Login or Register