Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

ConvaTec SUR-FIT Natura Moldable: REVIEW (w/ video)  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 7, 2016 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's discuss these ConvaTec moldable wafers!

To read my full review on this product, click on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
September 9, 2016 5:30 pm  

Have you used this moldable system before? Tell me about your experience.

ReplyQuote
Willa Walker
 Willa Walker
(@Willa Walker)
September 16, 2017 11:28 am  

I tried these. I was excited about the moldable tech. That was good. But when I tried to put the bag on, I couldn't get it to snap on at all--. No matter how much I pushed on my stomach, I couldn't get the bag to seal on to the wafer. Took the wafer off - totally useless system.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 16, 2017 6:01 pm  

Hi Willa,

Many people have a hard time getting these to snap together (including me).

There are a few options :

- some people lubricate the ring before snapping it into the flange. Water might be enough.
- ConvaTec offers a floating flange option that would make things much easier.

It'd be nice if you didn't have to resort to tricks to get it on, but it can be helpful of you like the rest of the appliance.

ReplyQuote
Melanie
 Melanie
(@Melanie)
February 15, 2018 1:34 pm  

I don't use this moldable system but I have been using convatec for 18 years, here are a few tips.

I use a transparent bag and I put the bag and wafer together before applying the wafer to my skin. The pressure needed to connect the two can hurt a tender stomach and even squeeze out any paste you need or mess with an eiken seal. By connecting the two first I can also make sure all sides are completely attached preventing leaks.

After applying a new wafer to prevent that sticky residue outline around the wafer I use a long handled eye shadow brush (or just use a finger) to apply a very SMALL dusting of body powder around the edge of the wafer. Seams weird but I rarely get that residue anymore.

Water - I don't have that netting on to top of my transparent bag but it is still on the underside. After a shower I use a towel and buff it thoroughly on all parts of the bag and it gets most of the moisture off. You can't just wipe these bags you have to really rub the towel on them to get water out from between the two layers. Allot of times i also fold a paper towel and put it under the bag to absorb any water left. By the time I am finished getting ready, eaten breakfast, etc I can get rid of the paper towel (or cloth) and go about my day.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 16, 2018 4:55 pm  

Thanks for sharing these tip, Melanie!

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
April 23, 2018 4:18 am  

I have a hi-output ileostomy. I've tried coloplast and Hollister previously. I use their hi capacity pouches which has a spout on the bottom, which solves all the problems you mentioned regarding the Velcro type closures.
Also, with a 4x4 skin barrier cut to shape I've gotten 6-7 days of wear usually, unless I've been extremely active, then it's only 4-5 days.
For me this has been the best system yet.!
Like you said everyone is different and I'm glad you suggested everyone should try it and make their own decisions.

ReplyQuote
Judy
 Judy
(@Judy)
June 14, 2020 3:02 pm  

I actually am currently using this system, and find a low wear time. Maybe two days, more like one and a half. It used to be better. I am finding these products have so many quality control issues, Just today, the wafer actually pulled apart from the wall, and I had a mess! Manufacture problems. Also, sometimes the holes are not in the middle, and there was a recall recently because of this. I just sent convatec an EMAIL! I don't really have a problem with snapping the bags on or taking the product off. I am shopping around again. The bag does leak, and OFTEN. The velcro is inferior, in my opinion, and is not all the way to the edge, which causes liquid stool to leak out the side. I find when I release the first velcro tab, there is liquid on the bag. Frequently. The filter ALWAYS leaks, so I don't use those bags anymore. Also, the moldable concept seems easier, but it is not, for sure. I had problems with my holister leaking and a rash of unknown causes, which is why I switched. I have a convex problem, and use those plus a ring. Still searching. Thank you for you video reviews!

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
June 15, 2020 3:14 pm  

I've tried both the two-piece and one piece moldable.  I like the concept, but the wafer does not last long for me.  After about two days, it is deteriorating.  I like to get at least 5 days out of a pouch.  And, the deal breaker for me is that the adhesive just dissolves in a hot tub.  At least that's my experience.  I can't even take a bath with this system.  My current Hollister system is impervious to water compared to this one.  Just my experience...

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
June 15, 2020 3:16 pm  

@Judy

I second the comment on low wear time.  Same here.  

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 15, 2020 5:16 pm  

@Judy It's a shame you've had so many problems. While rare, they do happen. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Good luck finding something that works :)

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 15, 2020 5:18 pm  
Posted by: @glenn-giroir

And, the deal breaker for me is that the adhesive just dissolves in a hot tub.  At least that's my experience

Ouch! It's a shame that the wafer deteriorates quickly when in contact with stoma output, but it needs to be more durable with water! Is it the heat, water, or combination that does it? 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
June 17, 2020 2:15 am  

@veganostomy

It seems to be both.  The adhesive tape around the wafer peels almost immediately, then the wafer itself starts to kind of become an oozy, sticky mess.  When I get out, I can stick everything back and it actually stays when it dries, but the wafer just turns into a mess after a few days.  After it melts and gets re-stuck a few times, it becomes very difficult to remove cleanly when it is time to change.  It comes off in pieces and some of the wafer stays attached.  I have to scrub way too much to get all the residue off.  I like the bags, but I've had NO problems like this with Hollister.  I've done hour-long soaks with Hollister and still get my normal 5 days wear (I could go longer, but my hair starts to grow in and gets itchy), and the wafer comes off so cleanly.  Hard to beat Hollister for me and what I like in a bag.    

ReplyQuote
raspout66
(@raspout66)
Registered
June 28, 2020 1:03 pm  

Well, the 2 pieces moldable works extremely well for me. Average 7 days in fact with paste on the wafer before applying it. I buy the 13-22 mm and I don’t need to mould it since my stoma is 22 mm.

I hate their bag though and the price of the wafer which is ridiculously high. Also when changing wafer there’s a sticky residue which is hell to remove.

That’s why I’m in the process of experimenting with other makes. No way I’ll pay 170$ CA for  10 wafers anymore, without bags... 

I also realized that I don’t need a convex to get my wafer to stick, it’s more à matter of belt wearing or not.

The more experience I get with this and the more I believe wearing a belt makes all the difference between sticky and non sticky wafers.

Never ban a wafer before trying to wear a belt with it if you don’t! 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 29, 2020 10:01 am  
Posted by: @raspout66

No way I’ll pay 170$ CA for  10 wafers anymore, without bags... 

That is outrageous!! For what it's worth, these should be around CDN$45 / 5 (all sizes).  EDIT: Oops, I was looking at the Hollister Moldable wafers. You are right, the Sur-Fit are bloody expensive! What a shame. :(  

ReplyQuote