Community Forums

Coloplast Brava Protective Rings: REVIEW (w/ video)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 14, 2017 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's talk about the Coloplast Brava Protective Ring (may not be available in all countries).

My full review can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
Tony
 Tony
(@Tony)
March 19, 2017 10:08 pm  

Hey Eric looking forward to the video review of this product , I see coloplast have linked your review to the product on their UK site , I use the normal coloplast moldable rings and have found them to be excellent ( hope I am not tempting faith but no leaks for over 3 months with them ) , keep up the good work and Im looking forward to the new forum when it gets going .
regards
Tony in Ireland

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
March 19, 2017 10:15 pm  

Thanks, Tony! I've heard from other people who've used the moldable rings and then switched to the Protective Rings when they were available and I hear nothing but praise! It truly is a nice upgrade for this kind of product, and I hope that if you do try them you have the same success! Regards, Eric

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@Tony)
April 4, 2017 10:47 am  

Hi Eric I tried to get some samples from Coloplast but to no avail , they give them freely to theit UK customers but not to their Southern Irish customers,
Its really poor business trait from Coloplast as I currently use Coloplast products for everything ,
Seems I will be trying out the competition as they are more than happy to send product samples to Ireland .

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
April 4, 2017 12:06 pm  

I'm surprised to hear that, Tony. Do they not have distributors in the area or is that single product not available in South Ireland yet?

Eakin rings are made in Ireland, so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting those :)

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@Tony)
April 4, 2017 12:55 pm  

hey Eric the distributors in the Republic of Ireland do not have stock in yet , but I thought it would not be a big deal to send a few samples in an envelope across the Irish Sea , esp for a customer that spends a lot of money on their products ,
I have had no problem getting samples from Trio (a uk based firm ) , hollister gave me whatever I requested from the uk and their Irish supplier ,
They should really realize that the best advertising for any product is good word of mouth , esp from people who are proactive about finding the best product for their particular circumstance ,
anyway rant over , especially since I am doing fairly well at the moment apart from a few niggles here an there

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
April 4, 2017 1:02 pm  

I wonder if this might be a "coming soon" type thing for you. I know that we (in Canada) got these before the US. Even the timing on the Sensura Mio bags was different from what I remember.

It is a shame, though.

ReplyQuote
Carolyn Reinhart
 Carolyn Reinhart
(@Carolyn Reinhart)
July 15, 2017 6:09 pm  

Hi - I used these rings when they first came out and thought that they were great - as Eric stated above. But after about 6 weeks when changing my bag - Coloplast Sensura Mio- the whole inside of the ring was charcoal black. Coloplast nor my ET nurse could think why that happened. So I tried again and checked after a couple of days and again, it was turning black. So, having stocked up on them, I had to go back to Hollister.
Has anyone got an ideas or experience of this?
Thanks, Carolyn

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 15, 2017 11:47 pm  

Hi Carolyn,

Was only the ring black or also your output? What about the filter ring in the Mio bag? What that also black?

That seems really bizarre!

ReplyQuote
Carolyn Reinhart
 Carolyn Reinhart
(@Carolyn Reinhart)
July 16, 2017 12:11 am  

Thanks for your responses. It was just the barrier ring. I can send you a photo of it if you want. I keep in touch with my ET that way. My skin got irritated too when it happened. I thought it might be something in my diet but the Hollister was fine when I went back to it. I am going to see the hosp dietitian soon. I had 4 blockages Dec-Feb and so am now nervous about food anyway. I have a hernia which I got quite soon after surgery and the defect is quite small and right against the stoma. So I'm quite cautious. The surgeon was suggesting mesh repair then changed her mind since I was so ill with last surgery - 3 thrombosis in hepatic vein and while on warfarin then I hemorrhaged in the night and was code blue and very nearly didn't make it. I was in hosp 5 weeks getting sorted out with all that. I now have to be near a hosp in case I block and it happens very quickly.
Thanks for listening.

ReplyQuote
J
 J
(@J)
July 22, 2017 9:55 pm  

I requested some samples of this ring for my elderly mom after seeing your mention of them a few months ago. Her stoma is flush (unplanned/emergency ostomy), so barrier rings are a necessary part of her system to structure the bag fit and prevent side leaks. We found these rings worked almost *too* well - they definitely seemed to absorb output well and protect the underlying skin, but they also created such a tight seal on the skin that it seemed to have cut off some circulation. Her skin had started turning purple after four days and the bag was difficult to remove. :/ She's since gone back to Eakin seals as those seem to provide a good mix of absorption and flexibility without the rigidity. I think ostomates with better circulation who need especially good skin protection might fare well w/ these, though.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 22, 2017 11:40 pm  

Does your mom also use a convex wafer with these? I could see that creating too much pressure for sure! Alternatively, has she tried the thinner version of these rings? It would provide a similar seal to the thicker ones, but not use as much pressure.

ReplyQuote
Gail
 Gail
(@Gail)
September 4, 2017 5:43 pm  

Best product I have used! I consistently get 7 days with no leaks or doors! Easy to remove! Love them.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 4, 2017 6:23 pm  

That's fantastic! Great to hear that.

ReplyQuote
Theresa Cartier
 Theresa Cartier
(@Theresa Cartier)
October 30, 2017 2:36 pm  

I've had the same problem with Eakin rings deteriorating quickly. I came up with the solution of doubling up with Trio Siltac silicone rings. I put the Eakin ring on bottom (my stoma is recessed and the bottom opening is flush with my skin) and the Siltac ring on top. Then I apply my pouch wafer.

The Siltac ring protects the Eakin ring from moisture and increases wear time. The Eakin ring absorbs moisture and maintains the adhesive bond with the silicone ring. It solved 5 months worth of leaks and skin irritation.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 30, 2017 2:42 pm  

That's quite brilliant, Theresa!

If you aren't already a member of the Community Forums, I would love for you to post this tip in the "Tips and Tricks" section: https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/ostomy-tips-tricks/

ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
October 30, 2017 7:24 pm  

Thank you for writing Sylvia. I am not familiar with Trio Siltac - can you let me know what it is. I am glad to hear that you have found a solution. I hope that I do soon as well especially with the wafer.

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
Charles Pereira
 Charles Pereira
(@Charles Pereira)
January 27, 2018 2:06 pm  

Hi, has anyone tried Trio siltac silicone rings ? I currently use adapt slim rings from hollister. I did use Eakins for short period of time but their quality is inconsistent and the residue they leave is awful to clean up. So I’m curious on how silicone would work.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 27, 2018 2:46 pm  

Hi Charles. I've tried them, but they didn't stick very well to my skin so they failed quickly. I've heard others having the same issue. But for those who have had good luck with them, they work quite well. It's very clean to remove and doesn't break down like regular barrier rings. Have you tried these Coloplast Brava protective rings?

ReplyQuote
Charles Pereira
(@cpereira0911)
Registered
January 27, 2018 2:52 pm  

I have not I just received samples from Coloplast and look forward to trying them.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register