Ostomy Accessories Guide: Hernia Belts  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
04/10/2017 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's talk about hernia belts!

My full article on this topic can be found by clicking the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

elsieron
(@elsieron)
Registered
07/10/2017 3:00 pm  

I've heard that one surgeon has suggested NOT using a hernia belt. He feels that the abdominal muscles need to be worked to regain their ability to carry out their function of supporting the abdomen. He felt that these muscles are hindered in fulfilling this function if a hernia belt is doing the supporting. Is this a commonly held view?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
08/10/2017 11:22 am  

That is not a commonly held view, and the current evidence doesn't support that theory (no pun intended).

The standard for hernia prevention has been, among other things, regular (gentle) abdominal exercise and support across the abdominal wall.

Here's a study that looks at an intervention program to help reduce the incidence of parastomal hernias and the results speak for themselves : https://caet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/caet-parastomal-hernia-02.pdf

ReplyQuote
Heidi Bookenstock
 Heidi Bookenstock
(@Heidi Bookenstock)
10/07/2018 3:55 pm  

My daughter wears a hernia belt. As she keeps growing, w have to keep getting her new ones, but we have trouble finding the right size. It's a great idea to speak directly with a manufacturer to find her correct size, or to have her stoma nurse take her measurements.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
14/07/2018 11:34 pm  

Hello, Heidi!

Your daughter will definitely want to be measured by a stoma nurse. I find that if hernia belts are just slightly off, they can not only be ineffective but may also create new difficulties.

I wish her all the best!

ReplyQuote
Marilyn Hargrove
 Marilyn Hargrove
(@Marilyn Hargrove)
03/10/2018 5:46 pm  

You should apply the hernia belt while lying and the bowel is reduced behind the faschia. That way the belt can help keep the bowel were it belongs.
You know the hernia is reduced if the abdomen is soft and flat around the stoma.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
03/10/2018 5:53 pm  

This is a good tip for someone who might have a large hernia. Thank you for brining that up. For hernia prevention, this isn't necessary and I personally find it more uncomfortable to put the belt on while laying down because when I stand or sit it's not longer in an ideal placement.

ReplyQuote
Leslie Williams
 Leslie Williams
(@Leslie Williams)
03/10/2018 7:28 pm  

Hi my name is Leslie and I have a colostomy bag due to dicerticulitis. Ive developed a cough and now I have a hernia. I bought a hernia belt but it is big enuf for my stoma which is 2 1/4 wide but with the belt im not sure how to wear it. I know this is dumb but i dont quite know howcto wear it. No instructions were enclosed. Uts from China.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
03/10/2018 8:23 pm  

I wear a New Hope belt to the gym for preventing hernias . I put it on while standing . I find it comfortable. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
03/10/2018 11:24 pm  

Hi Leslie, 

Do you have a photo that we can see of this hernia belt? I have several here at home and they are all slightly different in how you put them on. Some have stretchy material and some do not. I put them on in slightly different ways. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register