Community Forums

Coloplast Brava Pro...

Notifications
Clear all

Coloplast Brava Protective Rings: REVIEW (w/ video)

Page 2 / 3

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Good luck! I hope they work well for you, or at least better than the eakin rings.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Valerie Hennessy
 Valerie Hennessy
(@Valerie Hennessy)

I was very excited about trying Trio Siltac. Unfortunately, I had two catastrophic failures in the same evening. Then I tried the Brava protective seal, which I am still trying. So far I have had good results, but I haven't gone past 4 days yet. This week I will let it go 5 days and see how it works. I have had minor erosion, but not any more than normal when I was using stomahesive strips. I have had an ileostomy for 32 years and have been experimenting with some of the newer products and so far I am happy with the results.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Valerie,

That's disappointing to hear that the Trio Siltac did not work for you. 

I'm glad that you're getting better wear time with the Brava Protective Rings, however, it's not imperative that you get super-long wear time, either. 

If your skin looks good and you aren't having leaks, accept four days! While we would all love to have seven-day wear, it's not always realistic. 

Best of luck!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered

4 days is a good run . Skin quality is most important. Sometimes stretching days out will cause irratation  . Just not worth getting oozing skin . I also use the Bravo Protective Seal . Love them . 

Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi All, I would echo what has been said, having good skin is every thing, A well built house sits on a good foundation!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

I watch that little edge around the mouth of the stoma well. I start thinking change at three days wear. And, a change when the seal seems to swell to about a 1/4 inch in anymore usually ends up in a leak.  Seven days would be amazing, but then I would likely wake up with a broken damn and a ring of fire. Does wearing the ring mean a longer wear?  Less leaks? Leaks was the reason I had tried them.  I just find them too sticky. How do you ever get those things off in good time without sleepy legs??? I did just receive my first bottle of adhesive remover spray today and am wondering if that makes a difference in the removal of the ring? Eric, I noticed in your video that use use a packaged gauze to clean up with.  Is that important, or just choice and if so, may I ask why?

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered

Posted by: Linda Knelsen

I watch that little edge around the mouth of the stoma well. I start thinking change at three days wear. And, a change when the seal seems to swell to about a 1/4 inch in anymore usually ends up in a leak.  Seven days would be amazing, but then I would likely wake up with a broken damn and a ring of fire. Does wearing the ring mean a longer wear?  Less leaks? Leaks was the reason I had tried them.  I just find them too sticky. How do you ever get those things off in good time without sleepy legs??? I did just receive my first bottle of adhesive remover spray today and am wondering if that makes a difference in the removal of the ring? Eric, I noticed in your video that use use a packaged gauze to clean up with.  Is that important, or just choice and if so, may I ask why?

Linda

The Brava Protective seals come off easier than the Elkin ring . Elkins melt onto skin . Spray adhesive is wonderful. Spray corner of wafer then pulse spray as you lift wafer away . Really saves your skin . Then give a spray to remove any residual adhesive. I also use square gause . I find it softer on the skin . Try the Brava spray adhesive remover its fantastic .

ReplyQuote
JOAN JOHNSON
 JOAN JOHNSON
(@JOAN JOHNSON)

They contain silicone, which I am HIGHLY allergic to, causing blistering oozing sores on my skin that begin with intense itching. I used only 2 sample rings sent to me by Coloplast, and within 36 hours had skin irritation even beyond my Ostomy adhesive appliance. This is also true of some sealing pastes. So, with the help of my Ostomy nurse, I am searching for an alternative to messy pastes that leave a residue and are hard to work with, and any barrier ring that contains silicone. My silicone allergy was my biggest concern before deciding to go ahead with the Colostomy surgery.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: JOAN JOHNSON

So, with the help of my Ostomy nurse, I am searching for an alternative to messy pastes that leave a residue and are hard to work with, and any barrier ring that contains silicone. 

Joan, please let us know what products you find that end up working for you. Silicone allergies are quite rate, but I'm sure there are others who would benefit from knowing what's worked for you. 

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Chris
 Chris
(@Chris)

First I would like to say how essential and helpful your site has been since I had my illeostomy 5 weeks ago.

I have been using the coloplast products since I am allergic to something in Hollister adhesives..

I have been using these barrier ring with every change and I have yet to have any leaks or skin issues. 7 years ago I had a temp colostomy and that was a nightmare.

I change mine every 3-4 days. I could probably get a little longer but I think I have a good routine down and afraid to jinx it.

But these have made getting my shrinking stoma some nice cover when it goes smaller than my cut out or I get a little out of my cutting lines.

Not sure what the difference is between Hollister adhesive and coloplast but the difference in ripped off irritated skin when removing is huge for me.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Chris, I'm at least happy that you've found a product that is working for you! Each manufacturer has a different formulation for these product, and it may take an allergist and some testing to determine exactly what might be giving you an allergy.

But if you've found a brand or product line that works well, just stick with it :)

ReplyQuote
Tim
 Tim
(@Tim)

I tried a sample of these, and loved the result. After 4 days, it *did* seem to degrade somewhat, but not as much as the Adapt rings do. During changing, it just came off my skin without a problem, and I had absolutely no "gunk" to clean off, like the non-silicone rings leave.
Also tried the Trio silicone rings, and after just 3 days, output got under the ring and collected at the edge of the flange, causing a lot of skin irritation.
I'll be returning the non-silicone Adapt rings and switching to these Brava ones for sure.

ReplyQuote
kedikat
(@kedikat)
Registered

Does anyone know if there is a type of glove that does not stick to the ring?

They always stick to my fingers better than my stomach. I have tried using the peel off backing with a little success. But it is awkward.

Why?

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

I use a 2-piece system. I cup my hand over the ring after applying it, for less than a minute, and that seems to give it a chance to start melting/sticking onto my skin. Then I put the flange on, then the pouch. And I make sure my skin and fingers are nice and dry before I apply the ring.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@kedikat

I have the same problem with the ring sticking to my finger better than my tummy. It gets very frustrating. I got an idea from my ostomy nurse last month which I have been trying with decent success. I warm up the flange and then take the back off and put the ring on the back of the flange overlapping the cut hole just a bit. Then I use my finger to push the edges through the hole. That way there is a tiny bit of ring between the edge of the wafer hole and my stoma. I hope this is clear. I will try to remember to take a picture when I do my next change. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Here is a question about the rings: I use Adapt, and within minutes of putting on the flange and pouch (I put the ring on first) much of the ring has risen to a tunnel that sticks out more than the stoma. I think I saw somewhere that this is normal and good - is it? Seems to me that there would be more opportunity for stool to get under the ring.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi LL, Yep it’s normal and it’s what the ring does. It’s mopping up moisture and effluent. I have always thought that long term wear can be bad as this can then cause skin damage. I guess on a short stoma it could do what you say but have you seen any output under your wafer. Some rings swell more than others. Than the silicon rings don’t swell at all. The manufacturers say this is better for the skin. Again in the ostomy world it’s a case of what works for you do it and then again some one else will have a different experience.😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kedikat

Does anyone know if there is a type of glove that does not stick to the ring?

They always stick to my fingers better than my stomach. I have tried using the peel off backing with a little success. But it is awkward.

Yeah, and some rings are worse than others to handle. I haven't found a single glove that works well with anything sticky, and any that are powdered (to prevent them from sticking) will make the adhesive properties less effective. 

Do you notice them sticking to your fingers all the time or periodically? I wonder if hand washing (with particular soap) makes the problem better/worse. 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

I'm guessing the adhesive is temperature sensitive. Anyone prepared to put their hand in the fridge to test this theory ;-)

The Brava rings become softer and sticker the long you handle them is what I have noticed and after awhile under the wafer they melt and become very sticky leaving a yellow sticky residue which I remove with the adhesive remover spray.

They don't work that well for me alter shape and position in an unpredictable way melting into the wafer, detaching from the skin?

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
kedikat
(@kedikat)
Registered

Been experimenting more with ring application.

I am now cutting the ring while both sides still have the protective covering on. I then peel back some of the bottom cover and apply it. So I can press on the top to get it nailed down well. From then on it is a progression. Peel some more bottom back, press down. Peel a bit more top back each time too if required. The top cover may not allow enough bending to keep close to the stoma. Especially if you have a non circular shape. Or are quite a bit off from the precut diameter.

I have done this 3 times now and it seems to work well, if a bit time consuming.

I also made a little device on my 3D printer to help seal the whole deal. After the ring and base plate are attached I use a tube with a flange on the bottom to press the whole assembly down. The tube fits close around my stoma. The flange at the base fits just inside the hard ring of the 2 piece I use. The tube is about 2 inches long. I can now slip the tube over my stoma and apply hard pressure all the way from the inside of the appliance ring to right up to my stoma edge and hold it there for as long as I have patience. If my stoma farts or poops, it exits the tube away from things. I think this helps get a good seal.

Why?

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3