Notifications
Clear all

Trouble with fibre

17 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
(@mom2panda)
Topic starter  

Hi - I’ve been eating a lot of vegetarian meals lately and I have a hard time with too much fibre. I drink a ton of water but I seemingly have either very thick, pancaking output or super watery.  I’ve had a few leaks which isn’t usual for me. 

An example a recent meal that caused issues for me is mushroom Bourguignon with garlic mashed potatoes. It tasted ah-mazing but I had frequent thick output along with some watery output. I also had a significant leak due to pancaking. 

Any suggestions to stabilize the output?

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, Mom2Panda! 

I've edited your original post, so hopefully the problem with the "removed link" is over.

There is no single solution when it comes to stabilizing our output, unfortunately.

Often, we may find ourselves eating the same foods for weeks on end and our output changes for no apparent reason. 

A few things I've observed that might help:

• Do you have an ileostomy or colostomy? This can make a difference because we shouldn't expect certain consistencies to happen when it could be normal for that type of stoma. As a general rule, ileostomies can output all liquid to "peanut butter" consistency and it's still normal.
  • Most starchy foods (i.e mashed potatoes) will thicken our output. Expect that to happen when you're eating meals based on starch.
  • Certain vegetables may cause loose output, but this will vary from person to person. If I eat a lot of spinach or beets, I'll have runny stool. Certain cucumbers do the same, while others do not.
  • Keeping a food diary might help you to identify and plan meals that give you specific results. 
  • Are you drinking water with your meals or away from them? Do you chug or sip? These can make big differences.
  • I have some tips to deal with pancaking specifically in this article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/pancaking-ostomy-tips/

I hope these help!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Zvitusk and Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mom2panda)
Topic starter  

Thanks! I have an removed link And, I am guilty of “chugging” water removed link  

I tend to drink after I removed link Perhaps I’ll work on drinking more removed link  

Thanks to the other posters too, though their replies seems to have removed link  

ReplyQuote
(@mom2panda)
Topic starter  

Grrrrrrr  no periods allowed apparently  

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Yes. I had my hysterctomy when I was 28 years old..  :-)  They are a pain too. (periods) Not allowed !! :-)   :-( 

Maybe your chugging the water to much at one time.  Try eating less and drink (nicely) during eating. Lay off the fiber a bit, Drink v-8 juice.. Water WILL remove salts etc. from your system anyways..   Finding a good balance for yourself is hard.  But u will get into the program of self wellness soon.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Mom2Panda

Grrrrrrr  no periods allowed apparently  

Aaaah! OK, I disabled the anti-spam feature which automatically removes links by new members. Sounds like it's not working right when enabled. 

That should do the trick. The developer of the forum software are aware of this problem.

I hope some of those suggestions,  and modifying how you drink,  can help you. 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

Hello.  I have had a colostomy for 2.5 years. I have found it difficult  trying to determine what is the best consistency for me and then trying regulate output accordingly.  Usually, just when I think I have got it, I go off.  I monitor what I eat very carefully and find that even though my diet hasn't varied, output consistency has. Any type if travel one day or longer also seems to be a trigger, too.  I have had several blockages that have put me in the hospital am very cautious in trying new foods.  I have followed Eric's recommendations and  doctor's advice to take Miralax all of which have helped. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I just had a V-8 can of juice.. a few hours ago-- It stayed in me about 10 minutes!!  I think I have dumped a good 4 litters already.. Now into fibers.. Hope this helps stop the re-turns to the bathroom every 10 minutes..  But sure was tasty!!! 

Hummm, try to do something good for me, myself and I, and I am paying for it!! Royaly!!  What is going on??  Nellie is all upset.. Never mind yours truly!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)

I cannot even LOOK at fruit or veggie without having it clog up my ostomy and causing a horrendous leak.

I cannot imagine going vegetarian or vegan...our son is vegan btw 

Sometimes I say the heck with it and eat something that I know is going to give me trouble...gotta live a little sometimes. Even bananas give me fits, not every time but enough that I am wary of them. 

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

A nutritionist recommended  taking probiotics to help me regulate digestion and  elimination. I think they are effective and have helped. Specifically, Metagenics Ultra Flora Balance.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Malsgal86

I cannot even LOOK at fruit or veggie without having it clog up my ostomy and causing a horrendous leak.

Do you know whether you have any other issues that might be causing this? Adhesions, strictures, hernia, etc.? 

Normal amounts of fiber should very rarely cause problems, especially of its broken down. 

Ripe bananas should be very easy on the digestive tract, but green bananas will slow things down considerably. 

Perhaps you have sensitivity to certain foods that cause problems and have nothing to do with the fiber specifically? 

I'd be interested in a follow-up if you ever have that investigated. 

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)

Eric,

No strictures or adhesion...I think the problem stems mostly from my stoma  being so short.

I started wearing a belt and have only had one minor leak since. The belt seems to hold my bag closer and tighter so my stoma  goes into the bag a little further. I have not tried to eat any veggies or fruit yet with the belt...maybe I should do so. What is the worst that could happen? Lol 

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)

Well...yesterday with my supper, I ate 4,count them 4 red grapes. Chewed those suckers till there was nothing left to chew. I have had to change my bag twice this morning because of those stupid grapes. And...I was wearing my belt when the first leak started. Not to be gross but when the second leak started I just got in the shower and let Gertie do her thing. Once she got done with her little temper tantrum, I put on a new bag. We shall see if she is over it or not.

Lesson learned...

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Malsgal86

Well...yesterday with my supper, I ate 4,count them 4 red grapes. Chewed those suckers till there was nothing left to chew. I have had to change my bag twice this morning because of those stupid grapes.

If you believe that your stoma is the reason why you can't eat even a few grapes, have you considered a revision? It's important to be able to eat fruits and veggies just for  basic health, so not being able to must be setting you up for trouble down the road, right?

I'm still hoping that you can discuss this with your stoma nurse.

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)

Hopefully I will be getting a reversal this summer. We will know more after my next surgery in April.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@fromflorida)

This is my first post. I have been vegan for more than a year but find it difficult to eat unprocessed food due to Crohn’s and scar tissue. I am trying to create a low-fiber plant-based diet. Please help. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: FromFlorida

This is my first post. I have been vegan for more than a year but find it difficult to eat unprocessed food due to Crohn’s and scar tissue. I am trying to create a low-fiber plant-based diet. Please help. 

I hope my answer here has given you something to try: https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/food-and-recipes/low-fiber-vegan-diet/

ReplyQuote