Community Forums

QUESTION: Would you...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] QUESTION: Would you like an option to add what kind of stoma you have to your profile?

11 Posts
6 Users
12 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Forum member @dogtalkerer had brought up a good point about having some way to identify what kind of stoma each forum member has in order to help answer posts since each type of stoma may require a different answer or have a nuance that requires special attention.

Currently, I am able to add this option as a field in the member profile and it would be up to each member to fill it (or not). This information would only be viewable if you are looking at a specific member profile, so I do advise that you list what type of stoma you have in the "signature" section of your profile if that's something you want to share. 

What do you guys think? Should I add a stone type field to user profiles? Any other suggestions? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@john68)

Hi All, I have on my signature that I have an ileostomy just to give a background in fact it’s all I have and could do with adding more. I don’t see how it would make a difference to know or not. Ok their a differences but leaks and skin problems common to all. All that said if it’s popular I ain’t got a problem ?. Age maybe useful as an encouragement to young members so they could identify with others. We are seen as an older age group with an ostomy and that’s simply not true.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I hadn’t thought about it before but now I have put it on my “signature”. Easy way to do this without having to create new tech tasks with potential issues, in my opinion. But of course like John I have no problem with it.

I know a young woman who is going go have a urosotomy (I will tell her about VeganOstomy) and she would probably appreciate knowing others who have one. So, signature line or other I think identifying is a nice thing to do.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @john68

I don’t see how it would make a difference to know or not.

I can see several benefits, personally: 

1. If someone is posting a question or reading a topic about a question, it would be helpful to know without asking or repeating information, what kind of stoma someone might have. Even with people who've responded, knowing that a urostomate has replied to a urostomate could hold more "weight" for the one asking the question.
  2. Having that information the profile could help to facilitate future forum features, like searching for members who have a specific type of stoma, or filtering out topics that are specific for one stoma, etc. This would lay the groundwork, although future features are not currently planned.
  3. Some ostomates are in a more challenging position (i.e. double stoma) and being able to identify these members in a forum thread could make answering questions or forming responses more appropriate. 

Anyway, I'm proposing the idea to see if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions on it. It's actually a very easy thing for me to do on my end, then it's just a matter of members filling it in on their profile (if they want to). 

sjlovestosing and john68 reacted
(@john68)

Hi Eric Heck! You sure you ain’t an attorney! If not you should be ? Glad to hear it’s not a lot of work. I am onboard ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

(@rosepritchard)

@veganostomy

Hi Eric

Yep I think it's a good idea too and I've just amended my signature to include this. 

All the best.

Rose

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

(@rosepritchard)

Hi Eric

Well I thought I did! Don't know why the signature isn't appearing......

?

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi all,

I was re-reading my signature and realized that I did put in that I have a colostomy. I guess I've always been open about it. I think it's a great idea, Eric. Any time I can help out a fellow ostomate in any way is a privilege for me.

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
(@dogtalkerer)

the signature is only seen if you are logged in,  at least in Chrome.   I only login if I make a comment, thus I can't tell if someone is colo or ileo if I'm just reading some comments.

when talking about leaks, pictures of leaky bags and skin contours would be extremely useful.  could put a smiley face over stoma. I realize many love their stomas, for me, it looks like a really gross puncture wound.  a black and white picture of bag would reduce gross factor, but reveal how the leak migrated.  

VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

the signature is only seen if you are logged in,  at least in Chrome.   I only login if I make a comment, thus I can't tell if someone is colo or ileo if I'm just reading some comments.

This is correct and I can change that "permission" for guests and users who are not logged in. In fact, I'll do that shortly. 

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

The feature has now been added: https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/news-announcements/new-forum-feature-add-your-stoma-type/

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be closing this topic now.

john68 reacted