Community Forums

Vendor reviews?  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 29, 2019 12:22 pm  

I had an email from someone who was looking for reviews on ostomy supply vendors. I couldn't possibly offer that myself (I only buy from one or two in a very specific geographical location), but it did get me thinking:

Would you like to see a section on the forums where you can write your own review or experiences with suppliers? Would you find that helpful?

Let me know what you think. If enough people show their support for the idea, then I'll add a sub-forum for "Vendor Reviews".

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Cyrisse, Tony, SqueakyandLiza and 2 people liked
Topic Tags
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 29, 2019 12:35 pm  

Hi Eric, Yes if that’s not a whole lot of trouble for you I think that would be very useful. I get my supplies directly from the pharmacy my self as it’s only minutes drive. But many are maybe not as near to do that or maybe not able to travel. So that’s a very useful idea 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
October 29, 2019 3:33 pm  

Figuring out the best places to get supplies Was a significant challenge for me and my wife. I think this could be quite a valuable feature for the community.                                

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
October 29, 2019 5:07 pm  

I agree. This could be a very useful feature for all ostomates, especially those new to the issue.

I am in The US and on Medicare. I know the supply chain ( and payer) varies considerably throughout the US and Canada it seems ( probably everywhere else too).

Just knowing about the different manufacturers is useful, but there is a other other layer out there of suppliers. I use Shield. I have found them to work well, but that is the supplier my first ostomy nurse directed me to (to get the Hollister Brand). 

Important too, for those of us on Medicare, is that some suppliers bill Medicare directly ( like Shield) and not the patient ( which leaves it to the patient to get reimbursed). Its confusing.

SO any clear info would be great.  And reviews by we users would be very enlightening.

As always, thanks, Eric.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 29, 2019 5:12 pm  

Ok, so it looks like this would be a good thing. 

Are there any specific rules that should be put in place (maybe a template?) to streamline user reviews of vendors? 

Obviously, given the nature of public online reviews in general, there's potential for abuse and I'd like to limit that as much as possible. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
October 30, 2019 11:00 pm  

My insurance company told me who I have to use, but I would be happy to do a review of them. 😀 I think a template of some sort would be helpful, both in helping us in knowing what info to provide and also to prevent any abuse. 

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
October 31, 2019 9:44 am  

I use Edgepark for my supplier. They have always been helpful and have always had prompt service and deliveries. It may be useful if ostomates who have positive feedback about their vendors, give you the information (addresses, phone #, etc.)  you need if you decide to set this up. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Stella

Cyrisse and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
October 31, 2019 10:34 am  

Hi Eric,

Here are my suggestions. At minimum, perhaps this could be handled using a form asking for relevant info such as the name of the vendor, location, whether it ships internationally or only to its respective country, what the user usually purchases, perhaps a star rating from 1 to 5, website and/or other contact info, and a field for general comments such as to elaborate on quality of customer service/products reasons for the chosen star rating, etc. In my opinion, the best way to protect against abuse would probably be to use human moderation in combination with a set of established standards such as no profanity, civil language in negative reviews, no affiliate links of their own, and other protections. That could be time intensive, of course, so my suggestion would be to consider choosing a small group of people you trust and ask them to volunteer to vet at least first-time reviewers.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

Cyrisse, LK, VeganOstomy and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 31, 2019 2:32 pm  

@ileostony

These are wonderful suggestions, Tony.

I think that ideally, a properly formatted review submission form, moderation, and built-in rating system would work out quite well. 

Unfortunately, because this idea will be part of the forum and not rely on a website review system, I have to be realistic with how to simplify the process for all people involved. 

I will likely run this for a trial period to see how things go, but I need to figure out the logistics first. 

For instance, should users be able to individually submit a review for ABC Company under a different thread, or should there be one main thread for ABC Company and those leaving a review would simply "reply" to that thread with their own experience? If the latter, who gets to start it first? 

The things that keep me up at night.... haha! 

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 1, 2019 11:56 am  

Awesome Ideas all around!!! But, what does thread have to do with it? Okay, kidding!!! Lol. I so wish I had thought to seek help and support way before I actually did. This sight & your hard work& information are all invaluable to me. Not to mention the videos, I often re-watch them and pick something new up each time. The "honest & real man" standing up in a crowd of ostomates needing a human factor built in to our daily life, has been non less then grand to me! When I think of all the welcome newbies that drop in from time to time, or stay, this speaks highly of what you have created Eric.  It was the  kindness that kept me coming back & ofcourse the knowledge & support I so badly needed. Availability of information can only make it better. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
November 1, 2019 9:44 pm  

Yes a wonderful idea ! I have a company that is excellent. They are LoCost Medical Supply, out of Georgia.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register