Notifications
Clear all

Lurker turned Member

8 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
(@uctoostomy)
Topic starter  

I would like to thank Eric first and foremost.  His videos and this website have given me confidence, information and power that help me daily through my life with an ostomy.

I am a 34 year old male, live in Alberta, Canada and LIVE with an ileostomy.  I suffered from UC for many years, tried lots of meds and spent thousands on naturopathic treatments.  After failing several treatments, my GI told me surgery was my only option (other than another biologic)  Had subtotal colectomy and ileostomy formed Sept 2016.  Watched every video on this website, sometimes more than once.  

I have decided to keep the ileostomy for now, live my life and enjoy time with family.  Thanks to everyone who posts here and provides feedback to the challenges of living as an ostomate.  

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome to the forums! Your story sounds similar to mine, so I get where you're coming from. 

Feel free to ask questions or share tips ??

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Hello UC2---- (o.k. to call u this?)  Welcome!  Yes, Eric and many others have suffered for to many years as you did with all those medications and what ever the Doctors came up with. As you can see how happy the are now and living life and traveling they ever thought possible.  Hope you are/can be following their foot steps.  Seems to me they found a new life of total  heaven as it seems to me, compaired of what they went through for so many years. God bless you and them.  

I think you will find yourself a new person here on this blog.  I did.  Your in a group of the same.  We in the dame boat.  Some like me still having issues and slowly getting it together..(I was a surprise and never felt sick at all---) but so many are up and riding motor cycles within a year !! Your so young, and with a family- This blog will help you get to phase by phase  with comfort as you go forward to anything you want to try.  Heck, if others here can do it?  So can I.    I want to ride a horse... ???????? :-0  - IT is just getting on it is my problem.  I am weak with dehydration--but  this fall, I will stop by the barn around the corner, and see what they can help me with. Never be afraid to ask for help--  I will never tell my husband about this tho until afterward. I don't need the extra stress. :-).  I want to go forward. hummmmmmmmmmmm  got to find some jeans huh?  now that is stress!! Best to you and you and your family! M. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@uctoostomy)
Topic starter  

We are a strong bunch and we understand each other.  We all have good days and bad days (Hopefully more good than bad).  When I am having a bad moment, I remember how I got to be an expert at ripping off my underwear after an accident and leaving the waist band.  These are moments I never want to re-live.  A major reason for not trying a J-pouch.  No more accidents.  My bum is just for show.   

Life without medication is excellent. (In my case, and my sympathies for many who still struggle with medication and illness) And we can sometimes look at others as if they have a 'halo' above their heads with their luck at health.  Many will never fully understand the pain we go through and the strength it takes everyday to stay positive.   We never know how strong we can be, until all we can be is strong.   

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi UCtoOstimy, "Lurker turned member" Brilliant title for yer introduction! have to admit it took a while for the "penny to drop" Some of us here are sharper than others LOL :-) you have a great attitude which is important. VO works so well as members gain info and in return pass on experiences and tips so win win for us all. So Hi and looking forward to more posts.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

UC2, We r stronger than we think or give credit for at times.  But when we or I any ways, go down, and find myself back up, I am up further than when I went down.  What is the saying?

The ones who falls and gets up--

IS:

So much stronger than the one who NEVER FALLS !! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Life with an Ileostomy is pretty darn good . Sure beats being chained to a toilet. 

Enjoy life . Be well , Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Welcome UCtoOstomy...So glad you finally chimed in here. I too have an ileostomy, did the whole J-Pouch thing. Turned out good at first then not so much.   My butt resembled Erics  (see his story) for a  very long while, minus the extra caverns!  I was ten and no one had a clue what was happening to me, Maybe I should have complained instead of thinking everyone went thru this stuff, and then at 22, a newlywed, my hubby informed me this was not normal when he found me taking a nap on the throne after passing out from the pain.  Imagine my surprise!  I have sort of come out of my shell on this sight thanks to Eric and his videos and pictures and this forum.  My goodness, how did people manage before computers. You can only hide for so long I guess.  You are lucky to have home support from  family. It will go miles...or so I am told.  Do not be shy here, you will be surprised at what is talked about. The support is also very fantastic. I am still re-watching videos that I re-watched prior to joining up. 60 and 10 years or so into this is not too late to learn. Again...welcome! I am in B.C., Okanagan, sorry for the smoke.  

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote