Wow! My body sudden...

Notifications

Wow! My body suddenly absorbs water...?  

RSS

raspout66
(@raspout66)
Registered
February 23, 2020 3:18 pm  

I had my ileostomy only 6 weeks ago and up until 2 days ago I had very watery output and numerous daily pouch changes. Also everything I drank went to my pouch in less than 30 minutes. And I almost didn’t pee -once a day maybe- plus I my pee was obviously too yellow indicating dehydration. But all of a sudden my urine color is almost normal and I pee numerous times a day, like before! And I don’t have this urge to drink anymore like the first weeks.

How can that be? I thought it was impossible with an ileostomy... Can my small intestines suddenly adapts and absorbs water as well as my defunct ( non functional) colon?

I have no explanation and it completely defeats my brain..

Any idea?

LK and VeganOstomy liked
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
February 23, 2020 4:14 pm  

I had the same thing happen to me after surgery. I couldn’t figure it out either. Even with the liters of water I was told to drink. I was relieved when my body adjusted and stopped with the numerous bag emptying. It just took some time. I also struggle with electrolyte imbalance, nutrient absorption and still do off and on.  Things I wasn’t prepared for.  Long term Type 1 diabetes adds to all those issues. Wish I could help but I’m following for any info.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 23, 2020 6:00 pm  

I honestly think the whole "only your colon absorbs water" thing is either a myth or grossly exaggerated. 

I can drink several liters of water in a day and all that does it cause me to pee more often - it never ends up in my bag. LOL 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
February 24, 2020 2:00 pm  

to steal a line from the TV show Northern Exposure, " the body is an amazing self righting machine..."    that said, don't make the mistake of over simplifying such a complicated system.

all depends on what is a normal function compared to a compensating function. seems more common for watery output in an ileo compared to a colostomy.  also considering who empties when and how often? i empty mostly at AM coffee time.  sometimes a little in the late afternoon, maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 cup in volume.   

a fistula comes to mind thinking of compensating functions.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
February 24, 2020 2:14 pm  
Posted by: @raspout66

I have no explanation and it completely defeats my brain..

I have been curious too about how my body know what to send to my bladder and what to send through my ileostomy. I’ve noticed drinking plenty of water does keep my output from getting too thick, but mostly goes to my bladder. But some things go straight to the ileostomy. For example, I had a milkshake the other day, and I believe it went straight to the bag. 😂

LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 25, 2020 9:42 pm  

@squeakyandliza

I hear you, Liza.  I try to increase my water intake, and spend all day in the bathroom peeing.  Sometimes I notice a liquid output when drinking lots of water.  I need to test the milkshake and see what happens.  Thanks for giving me an excuse to drink a milkshake.  

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 25, 2020 9:49 pm  

@veganostomy

I've read that most of the water that we drink is absorbed in the small intestine.  The colon kind of "cleans up" the excess water from the digestion process.  I have noticed NO difference in water intake/output since my surgery.  I think that is because my colon had stopped absorbing water some time ago.  My stoma output is pretty much what was coming out of my colon before surgery, minus the blood and mucus.  My UC had not been nice, so I think my small intestine had given up on my colon a long time ago.  I agree about the increased water intake - I had been over-hydrating after my surgery because I was paranoid of becoming dehydrated.  All it did was made me spend most of the day in the bathroom peeing.       

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
February 26, 2020 12:24 am  
Posted by: @glenn-giroir

I need to test the milkshake and see what happens.  Thanks for giving me an excuse to drink a milkshake.  

You bet, Glenn!  I recommend Baskin-Robbins, a shake with jamoca ice cream with a little chocolate syrup. So delicious. 

LK and glenn.giroir liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 26, 2020 1:56 pm  
Posted by: @glenn-giroir

I've read that most of the water that we drink is absorbed in the small intestine.  The colon kind of "cleans up" the excess water from the digestion process.

Here's a cool image that gives some perspective (taken from https://opentextbc.ca/anatomyandphysiology/chapter/23-7-chemical-digestion-and-absorption-a-closer-look/ )

The colon does reabsorb a lot, but that's when all the plumbing is there. Once we lose our colon, the rest of the system seems to pick up the slack quite nicely. 

Still, I'm not saying that drinking something only to have it pass through very quickly isn't a thing (I've experienced it myself and can do it on command with prune juice), but I do believe that most people will find that their body adjusts over time.

For those who are curious, some of the same apply to the gut bacteria that would normally live in our colons - they take up shop towards the end of the small bowel/ilium when the colon is removed. 

1582743364-2430_Digestive_Secretions_Absorption_of_WaterN.jpg

LK, Lynne, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 26, 2020 2:11 pm  

@veganostomy

Great graphic to put it all in perspective!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
February 26, 2020 3:28 pm  

Ah,,, lets put it to the test!!!!  looks like an ileo should put out about 7.6 times more than a colostomy.  for me 150mL - 200mL is probably close.   how about you ileo's? is a liter a day about right?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 26, 2020 5:18 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer
 how about you ileo's? is a liter a day about right?

After surgery, the output closely matched how much I drank, but now it's pretty much entirely dependent on how much I eat and I say it can easily get to 1L a day if I'm not skipping meals. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
February 26, 2020 6:03 pm  

So, whats interesting here, the small intestine clearly re absorbs more liquids, BUT the large intestine absorbs more when compared what has been  consumed.

800mL vs 1050mL ,  small vs large as to above chart. so the answer to the question seems a little murky since the discussion was talking about consumption vs expelling. 

ReplyQuote
Sharonlyn
(@sharonlyn)
Registered
March 8, 2020 1:10 pm  

@veganostomy

I find some liquids go directly into the bag. Like ciffee... I had to give it up because it also caused leaks. I find a little juice or Gatorade helps make me pee.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 9, 2020 11:12 am  
Posted by: @sharonlyn

Like coffee.

Was coffee a problem for you before your surgery? I know that coffee tends to make a lot of people "go", regardless of whether they have an ostomy or not, but it's more noticeable if you have any length of bowel removed.  

ReplyQuote
Sharonlyn
(@sharonlyn)
Registered
March 9, 2020 9:23 pm  

@veganostomy

hello

coffee was never a problem. Just one of those weird new things.

have a great day.

ReplyQuote
Share: