Notifications
Clear all

Tofu marinades without onion or garlic

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@johnken)
Topic starter  

What's the best marinade for tofu? I'm fed up of soy sauce, ginger, maple syrup and chilli combo but can't have garlic or onion. I usually marinade then coat in cornflour before shallow frying. Baking didn't give a good texture in comparison.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

What tastes do you like?

How are you preparing the tofu beforehand? Do you freeze and thaw it before marinating and cooking it? If not, you're missing an incredible texture to work with.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Freezing it really does change the texture, more chewy? nice.

But even a very firm tofu ( I like the high protein one from Trader Joes) really benefits from some spice. I make a coating of olive oil, middle eastern spices ( cumin, pepper, Ras al Hanout, etc) ,and after crumbling or cubing it, mix it all together. Let it sit for a few hours if possible ( in fridge). Then I bake it on non stick foil pan very hot around 425 with convection if you have it. for about 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Don't crowd the tofu. You can do chick peas the same way, and vegetables too. Serve it all on some kind of grain ( I like ferro or some other wheat like one). Top with avocado if you have one and feta cheese if you do dairy.  Or just serve it over a salad, always nice. ( you can tell we eat a lot of tofu).

Middle eastern Buddha bowl. easy to add and subtract to your tastes. I use tomato paste sometimes in the mix. Indian flavors are great too...

have fun

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote