Notifications
Clear all

Stoma question  

Feetrix
(@feetrix)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a strange dragging feeling / pain in their stoma where it feels like output can’t get through. 
I thought it may be a blockage but I do have output although more liquid than normal.  
I’ve had my ileostomy for nearly three years now and never experienced this before.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks 

Tony liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome to the forums, @feetrix

Does this pain feel like it's coming from the stoma itself or under the skin somewhere near the stoma? Does it change throughout the day or when you do have output? How long has this been going on?

My suggestion with pain is usually to seek medical advice, but sometimes what you describe might be "normal" for some people and may simply pass without ever knowing what caused it. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
UCtoOstomy
(@uctoostomy)
Registered

Hey Feetix,

Hope your feeling better and the discomfort has subsided.  I sometimes experience similar feelings/pain and attribute them to a minor obstruction / blockage.  I try to drink alot of warm liquids, and move around. I will also stop eating for several hours.   Eric has a video and article in relation to blockages that is very informative.  Good luck

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Feetrix
(@feetrix)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi, 

It’s definitely coming from the stoma and happens every couple of hours with or without output. 
I have had two ‘proper’ blockages in the last two years and the pain then was pretty horrendous so this is nothing in comparison.

It’s just when you think you’re getting the hang of it all and then something like this happens to make you realise you really don’t know too much at all.

I’m hoping this may just pass as you say.

Many thanks for your advice 

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @feetrix

It’s definitely coming from the stoma and happens every couple of hours with or without output. 

One idea comes to mind. Since it seems to come and go (with or without output), it may be following your natural peristalsis. And if that's the case, do you think that your wafer has been cut too small or not positioned perfectly?

When I have waves of pain that seem to come from the stoma, it's nearly always because I've cut the wafer too small (or my stoma has grown extra large since putting the wafer on). If you notice blood on your stoma when you remove your wafer, it could be confirmation that this is what's happening.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Feetrix
(@feetrix)
Registered
Topic starter  

@uctoostomy

Hi there,

Yes hopefully just something minor. Will check out that video.

Many thanks for reply 

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Might it be gas ? wind pain can be very uncomfortable, if there's a bit of a strange loop in the intestine the gas might have a job turning the bend?

It is surprising how much our bit jiggle about dancing inside as a result of food and other activities. remember you have more space inside after your surgery for bits to wiggle into strange shapes.

Just my thoughts

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
Feetrix
(@feetrix)
Registered
Topic starter  

@chrisandbagpus

Hi

Yes it could be. 
Fingers crossed it might just settle down soon. 
Thanks for your help 

ReplyQuote