Notifications
Clear all

Very sensitive skin around stoma  

Page 1 / 2

Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi- I’m getting very depressed about finding a pouching system that doesn’t irritate the skin around my stoma. My colostomy is a secondary health issue but so difficult to deal with.  I keep pushing my dermatology appointment back in hopes I’ll get vaccinated before it but I don’t think my vaccine will be available until summer. I read an old post about an ostemate using skin tac then applying mason colly skin barrier pad over that.  I have requested samples of those but they may not supply them.   Does anyone have suggestions?  Cymed worked for a few weeks my current system.  I find it ironic that I was given a colostomy but now can’t find an appliance.  

LK liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Loveanimals, it’s very easy to get down when things aren’t going well. I take it that it’s a reaction to the wafer rather than leaks. Are you letting the skin dry well before applying a new wafer. In fact Eric suggests leaving the appliance of for a few hours to help healing. The ostomy companies have help to deal with any issues so it may be worth contacting yours. Switch different systems to often will only add to the problem. Dry well and add some calamine lotion. It drys to a while chalk and creates a healing barrier. Understand your concerns with Covid but a lot of appointments are being done by phone, FaceTime or zoom. Best wishes 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

@john68

thanks John my dermatologist won’t do virtual with new patients.  I’ll try another dermatologist but eventually I’ll need to go in to get patch test so there’s that.  I haven’t tried calamine lotion thanks.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered

If it's an output making it past the wafer to your skin, I have dealt extensively with that and found a solution with stoma collars - that would be after the skin healed to help prevent further leaks. But if your issue isn't related to output getting past the wafer, we'll, I guess that's another story.

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Hey Loveanimals, there is going to be a solution to this - you just have to persevere. Sometimes having an ostomy is ridiculously hard to figure out! Are you having excoriated skin around your stoma? Can you tell us a bit more about what exactly your skin issues are? If you have open sores, have you tried silver powder? I don’t have skin issues very often, but I find the AG powder very effective. It’s expensive, but you only need a tiny bit. I like the idea of letting the air get at your skin too. Hope that’s something you can do.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

@chris

It’s not related to leaking it’s just sensitive skin that doesn’t tolerate anything on it but thank you!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

@tigerlily

thanks Laurie I’ll look into AG silver powder.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@loveanimals...I get a rare form of Eczema and my skin under the wafer was really picky at 1st.  I stick to Hollister because I found Coloplast, as much as I liked the feel of them made my skin itchy and hot feeling under the wafer  

The 1st months after my ostomy I would get a rash under my wafer that sort of resembled a low dry bumpy heat rash.  Desperate to relieve itching one day, I took my Eczema cream, (not an ointment) and sparingly applied it on my skin then used Stoma Powder on that. I changed my pouch everyday until it settled down, repeating the process. That seemed to be what worked best for me.  I've used it on skin that would seem to refuse healing as well. A Cortisone cream can be purchased in Canada without prescription. Its not the strength of my cream, but might work for you.   

Do you use the Skin Barrier Wipes? Gratefully learning this here, I switched to the Spray.  Unknowingly, for me, the wipe itself was causing irritation but the Spray once I tried it, ended that too. My skin didn't like being  "wiped" of all things!!!  Picky stuff I know! Best of luck figuring things out. It can seem very tiring but it worth it trying one change at a time & making notes to help figure things out & comparing issues! 

One more thing.  I'm going to suggest trying new products on the other side of your tummy first, before under you stoma side. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Cross
(@cross)
Registered

LOVEANIMALSaid:  "It’s not related to leaking it’s just sensitive skin that doesn’t tolerate anything on it but thank you!" 

I would also suggest Convatec Esteem products.  Several of the older ladies in my group suggested that I try Convatec because I was having irritation issues myself with another companies product line as they had many years ago.  It will not solved the peristomal itch issue but does help by lessening the skin irritation issues.

You can call them and they will send you free samples. Cross

ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

@crosse

Thanks for all the suggestions I have started a journal per the suggestion here. I have tried convatec esteem but it also was very itchy.  The steroid cream may be helpful I’ll give it a try, thanks.  Good idea to try new bags on other part of abdomen first you guys are full of good ideas.   I think I may be stuck with the itching as I’ve sampled all pouches avaliable to me I guess it came with my ostomy but there’s not been issues with skin breakdown.  So I’ll go with least itchy pouch try various creams and see how that goes. Thanks again! LA

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Hi loveanimals

In another post on the forum  (Maybe Eric or someone know how to post the link to the post) I've detailed how a homemade marigold cream has worked wonders for a similar problem I had. My skin is incredibly sensitive I can't have any woollen clothing at all even as a jumper the itchiness seeps through the undershirt?

I found the adhesive even sticks, if the cream hasn't yet all soaked in.

Try the steroid cream on skin elsewhere first, sometimes they worsen the itching and spots -reaction test!

Hope you find your solution- let us know, skin healing I understand is one of the difficult problems. It appears to me you have find out by trial and error which can be very demoralising and I feel is medically has not been researched enough IMO

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I'm sorry that you're going through this @loveanimals. It doesn't help that your derma appointment keeps getting pushed back, but I do think a solution can be found with some patience and experimentation. 

Lots of good advice in the thread. 

In addition to trying other products (from different brands as their formulation will be different), I would also suggest going easy on products (don't add more than you need to your routine) and examine any soap or body wash you use to eliminate them as being a source of this sensitivity. 

Do you have any known allergies or sensitivities to anything that might help narrow down/eliminate your options? 

I know that this product has been used UNDER the wafer by some people who have sensitivities: https://www.veganostomy.ca/aqua-seal-ostomy-wafer-extender-review/  

I haven't personally done that, but protective sheets may be another option until you find a long-term solution: https://www.veganostomy.ca/a-mini-guide-to-ostomy-supplies-protective-sheets-w-video/

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

thank you admin I have not come across aqua seal but will look into that but I do have some barrier sheets to try. Thanks again! LA

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
mmz
 mmz
(@mmz)
Registered

Posted by: @veganostomy

I would also suggest going easy on products

@loveanimals

I'm curious if you are using any products like 'remove' by hollister. I have to use it on occasions when my appliance leaves a gummy residue, but I've found I have to then wash off the residue (using non-oily soap and then wiping that clean with damp paper towel or gauze) left by the Remove or it burns and gives me a bit of a rash. I agree with Eric that the more products used, the more chance for adverse reactions. I still get heat rashes under and around the gear sometimes, but less so without the Remove residue.

Hope you're able to connect with a dermatologist soon or at least find some relief from trial & error with suggestions posted here for you. Going for treatment without a Covid vaccine is definitely worrisome and I think many of us won't be able to get those shots till later this summer. We're just doing our best to balance when it is or isn't worth the risk of exposure to get medical care.  

Best wishes!

me & my little volcano 🌋

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@loveanimals...something keeps standing out to me here....you said in your first bit up top...."that doesn't irritate the skin around my stoma".  

So I may have failed to ask... exactly how much skin is affected here?  From your stoma to the outer edges of your pouches wafer? 

Linda

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@tigerlily

Laurie, I was reading through this thread and was going to reply because I have had so many skin problems. Then I saw your post about silver powder. I have never tried that, but I currently have a lot of bleeding from the skin around my stoma. It is like a little bleeding rash, not big sores, but it just won’t go away. Where do you get the silver powder?  I will check Amazon, as well as Parthenon, where I get my Marathon. Thanks for the suggestion. This bad skin is driving me crazy. 😕

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@loveanimals

I can do much relate to skin issues. Mine are often related to leaks, or at least much worse with leaks, but I do have very sensitive skin as well. I haven’t found a super reliable solution. My ostomy nurse introduced me to Marathon, which is a skin protectant. Though expensive, it is usually pretty effective for me. Though this last week or so, it hasn’t had the desired effect. I have changed my appliance every other day and the skin is awful. I have used Marathon every time and it isn’t getting any better. 

I am keeping an eye on the responses here to see what everyone is recommending. Thanks for asking the question. If I try something that works, I’ll let you know. 😀

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@squeakyandliza Hi Liza,

The powder is called ARGLAES. Silver antimicrobial barrier dressing, and the company that makes it is Medline. Try www.medline.com or there is a phone # 1-800-633-5463. I buy it where I buy my ostomy supplies. It is pricey, but you don’t have to use very much at a time. Hope it helps.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@tigerlily

Hi Laurie, so do you use it like a stoma powder-just put a bit on the skin and then put wafer over the top of it?  I’m willing to give it a try. My skin hurts so bad. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@squeakyandliza I just use a little bit, directly on the problem skin. Much less than if I use a stoma powder. And yes, I put the flange right over top. I really hope this helps you.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2