Bag Separating at F...

Notifications
Clear all

Bag Separating at Flange  

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

Has anyone had this problem (see picture).  This is my 3rd bag to do this in a month.  Not sure if Im doing something, or if it is a defect. This is a Hollister 18113.  It comes apart at the bottom, right where the bag is sealed to the plastic coupling that fits onto the flange.   

1614020062-IMG_8907.jpg

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Holy smokes! I have never had that happen, but let me ask you this: do you live someplace in extremely cold or hot? Are your supplies delivered to you?

I'd report it to Hollister. Hopefully, that's isolated to a single box/lot number. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Glenn, I can’t quite see - did the plastic rim actually separate from the bag, or did the coupling come apart at the bottom? The second has happened to me several times, I cannot figure out why.   Ps - I use a 18113 also.

Colostomy 4/30/18. I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered

Hi Glen,

That has happended to me but not frequently. I attributed it to my own fault of pulling too hard when removing the pouch.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

@llholiday

Yes.  The plastic rim separates from the bag.  

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

Some thoughts on what I might be doing if it is my fault.  I wear a support belt often for hernia prevention.  Maybe the ring on the belt is putting pressure on that area (it always happens on the bottom).  Or, I always rinse out my bags after emptying by filing with water from the outlet, then closing the bag and sloshing the water around.  I do tend to get a bit forceful doing that.  Or, I use unfiltered bags and I do tend to balloon at nighttime, but not excessively.  

I'll call Hollister to see if they have any input.  

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Eric.  I live in Colorado.  It's pretty cold this time of year.  My supplies are delivered via FedEX.  

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered

Hi Glenn,

I use a 18113 ... looks just like the bag your photo from what I can see. I have never had that problem.

Looks like a total fail!! Good advice to contact Hollister. Good luck.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @fred

I attributed it to my own fault of pulling too hard when removing the pouch.

Don't blame yourself for something like that. That plastic flange should not fail in such a spectacular way.

Posted by: @glenn-giroir

I wear a support belt often for hernia prevention.  Maybe the ring on the belt is putting pressure on that area (it always happens on the bottom).

I've used all kids of support products, including those that go tight around the flange, and I haven't experienced this. That's not to say that the hernia belt you are wearing isn't shearing the flange, but I'd be surprised if that was it. 

How long have you been wearing the belt vs. when did these problems start?

Posted by: @glenn-giroir

I live in Colorado.  It's pretty cold this time of year.

I had to laugh after checking what your current temperatures are. You guys have what I'd describe as "warm spring weather" 😂  I don't think the temperature is the problem. If you were getting orders when it's -20 Celsius outside then I'd be more suspicious. 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric.  I have been wearing a support belt (Nu Hope 4") pretty much since I got my stoma (14 months), and this problem has happened only this month.  I'm pretty active, and I feel more secure with the belt.  So, I do suspect that the belt is not the issue.  

Yes.  You are right.  We are beginning to get pretty toasty right now.  :)  It was down in the -15 to -12 Celsius range last week, and it snowed about 9 inches. Then it quickly warmed up  and it is mostly melted already.  It's supposed to be somewhere around 8 degrees Celsius today.  Love this time of year!  I certainly don't think cold is the cause here.  Thanks for all of the replies!

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@glenn-giroir

Glenn, I had a couple of my Coloplast bags to the same thing, but at the top, rather than the bottom. It was just two and they were from the same box, so I wrote it off as a glitch. I thought maybe I had been too rough with them, but it hasn’t happened again and I haven’t changed the way I handle them. If it happened more though, I would call Coloplast. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

I had a couple of my Coloplast bags to the same thing,

There is where it would really be helpful to know whether a manufacturer changed something with their product, no matter how small the change is. 

But when problems like that happen, I tend to let the manufacturer know, not only so they can investigate but also because they tend to send replacements 😁👍 

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered

i had 3 out of a batch of 5 separate on me a few weeks ago, I thought at first that I might have caused it myself (nails or frequent bag changes) but I was extra careful with the last two from a different box and no problems .

ReplyQuote