Clear all

Sensura pouches

15 Posts
3 Users
9 Likes
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Is anyone using a sensura standard wear convex pouch? Not the mio just the regular sensura?

reason I’m asking is my nurse is ordering them for me. Coloplast has samples in the way. My nurse gave me some mio to take home because that is all she had to give me but they are fine. my questions about the regular sensura is do they stay on well? This mio seems to but not sure if the standard wear will. 

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I used the Sensura Click and Sensura xpro 2pc years ago (they were the first wafers I used), and they worked well, but definitely old school in style/comfort vs the newer Mios. I found that the Sensura Click wafers were too rigid for me, and would dig into my skin. The Mios are soft by comparison.

The adhesive on the Xpro was very aggressive, but I seem to recall only edge peeling on the standard Sensura wafer (common with some wafers).

I've been surprised by products exceeding my expectations, so the best you can do is try them :)

Let us know how it goes.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy thank you! I am getting the standard so I will prepare to watch for edge peeling in case. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with these.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

I got my samples of the sensura yesterday and put one on today since I had the day off. So far I’m liking this one. Only as you said in your review of the extended wear sensura that the filter clogs and the top flips over. I have already experienced this.  I like that it does not have that circular filter like the mio. Less pancaking. I will have to see how this adhesive goes as I go along with it. Hopefullly it won’t be bad. 
Eric is there any harm of the filter being clogged? I mean will it make me smell? I really don’t care for filters much but it does not come with an unfiltered version. 
Also I notice on all my convex bags that I’ve tried that the stool likes to pool up in the bottom of the convex bowl part. 

cygo and GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

Eric is there any harm of the filter being clogged? I mean will it make me smell?

Clogged filters can leak through to the outside of the bag, which sucks. And if that happens, you will notice a smell. You can cover up the filter with one of those included filter stickers (or a good piece of tape), or switch to a non-filter version of the bag, if available.

I stopped using filtered bags a while ago, and it's been much easier to manage without worrying about it clogging.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy ah, not good. Yes it’s clogging every one that I put on so far. The only problem is this one has the filter that’s inside the pouch so putting a sticker there is no option. I wore one to work yesterday and the bag did not hold up all that well. I changed in the morning and could not wait to get home to get it off. I was leaking a bit around the stoma area and itchy. I don’t think they make this one with no filter but I think the mio may have an unfiltered version. 

I think I’m liking the sensura mio that my stoma nurse gave to to get by until the others are approved. Even though it has that circle filter. I may try to get them instead. They seem to hold up better with no waxy feeling. I do feel a bit of stickiness but without the wax mix. 

also with the regular sensura I noticed the waxy sticky coming back. I’m thinking it may be the hydrocollids that are bothering me. I feel like a waxy feeling in my skin. That really gets me distressed to the max because I feel coated and unclean. I have actually been using suave clarifying shampoo to get it off my body. I have to soap up with it and let it sit in me for a minute or two and rinse and soap up again . It gets the bulk of it off but not all. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

The only problem is this one has the filter that’s inside the pouch so putting a sticker there is no option.

The sticker should go on the outside of the bag, where the filter "exits".

Unfortunately, if a leak develops through the filter, and you have to use a sticker to cover it up, I wouldn't suggest removing the sticker after that. It's really just a temporary solution to delay having to replace the bag too soon.

I'm glad to hear that the Mios are working better for you 👍 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Now that you have explained…. I inspected and I see where the filter is accessible at the top back side of the pouch. There is plastic that I lift up and I’m like, whoa!!! I rinse and wow the poo water can just come right through that area on the sensura standard wear pouch. It looks like there is an opening to where you can pull the filter in or out. I don’t think I like this. I’m  so glad we got on this subject. Now I know what to watch for. But is that where I would put the sticker or tape? On that back side of the outside? Under that flap? 
this is basically a pouch with an opening at the top. No, no! Not good. Poo can can come flying out of there at any time. 

they shipped out my months supply but I’m going  to order the filterless mios next order. So other than the filtered mios I have left I will be stuck with these till next month. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

The sensura standard wear was not the right fit for me. I did not like the waxy sticky. The filter was horrible. The filter clogged always. I did not like the construction of this bag. It did stick though but too well for me. I don’t need sticky everywhere. Was the same if not worse than my original pouch. It may be due to the dual adhesive used on the wafer. 
I’m trading them in for the sensura mio convex light transparent and with no filter. It is cut to fit but I don’t mind the cutting as I did it for years before I had to go convex. My supply company sending my month supply and a return label for the others. 

al

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

I have tried several filtered bags over the years, and none of them have ever worked more than a couple hours from first install. I use the Hollister 2 piece convex and have been quite happy with them, regardless of the filter issues.

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@goatherder same here any bags I’ve ever sampled with filters only work until that first poop. Ya know it sticks up by them things. Uggh!! I’m happy to hear you have a pouch that is working out for you. That is key in this whole thing and we are all so different and with different problems and body makeup’s. 
I’m jealous as I wish I could use a 2 piece pouch. I usually hear good from people that wear them. I won’t even try them again. When I first got my stoma I was at the nurse and she put a 2 peice Hollister on me and I left happy on my way to the store when I smelled something and Lo and behold the clip from the bag that attaches to the wafer came off. Accident everywhere! I was crying. I think the location of my stoma is why. It’s down in my mommy bulge tummy area so when I sat down it popped off. It just made me nervous to ever try one again.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

@chelly The Hollister bags don't use a clip, the end rolls up with a velcro closure. I've never had one fail in 7.5 years.

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Now I know what to watch for. But is that where I would put the sticker or tape? On that back side of the outside? Under that flap? 

The sticker should go directly over the filter opening, under that flap. If you apply it to the flap directly, it won't do much. Some bags have fabric on the outer shell, and tape often can't stick very well to that.

When I first got my stoma I was at the nurse and she put a 2 peice Hollister on me and I left happy on my way to the store when I smelled something and Lo and behold the clip from the bag that attaches to the wafer came off.

I don't like clips for that reason, but as Goatherder stated, Hollister also makes bags with a velcro-style opening, which is what I use. Far more secure.

There are some third-party clips you can use with Hollister clip bags, which are more secure and won't open by accident. The only reason why I'd consider a clipped bag is cost. There are no other advantages that I can see.

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@goatherder I meant the clip on bag that clips to the wafer. It popped off on me.

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy the adhesive was irritating me on that sensura. I’m now using the mio convex light and they have the option for no filter so I got those now. I’m really liking these mios. I understand that they are extended wear but their adhesive is not bothering me thus far. I stopped using a ring as well and the bag will last just a tad bit longer for me. I totally forgot about remove and unisolve adhesive removers as well. They will get anything off. I do remember that they are a bit oily but better than using oily hair conditioner. I can just wash real good with soap and water afterwards. 
gosh the things is ostomates have to go through to finally get things right!

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote