18 Posts
5 Users
16 Likes
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)
Topic starter  

Good Morning,

Thought I would list what products work well for me to prevent leaks with a slightly sunken stoma that retracts to some degree when discharging.

I have tried a couple of brands and found that I like the Coloplast products best.

Barrier SenSura® Mio Convex Light barrier with the 4.2 mm thick protective seal / barrier ring.

When I want to wear a one piece I use the SenSura® Mio Convex Light barrier with the Brava® Protective Seal Convex.

The reason for the convex ring as well as barrier is the one piece barrier has a little bit of flex in it and the convex barrier rind helps establish good all around contact with my skin.

Barrier change every 4th morning, with either of these two set up I do not have leaks.

At time of removal I use the Brava spray adhesive remover to remove the appliance and then clean that up with wipes followed by a hot shower.

When applying the barrier I use stoma powder and Brava Skin barrier Spray.  I apply the protective barrier ring to the barrier before applying them together to my stomach / stoma. 

During activities including swimming in salt water, hiking and sweating at the gym there have been no issues with barrier failures.  

For me the key seems to be the Brava protective seal / barrier ring, another brand the ostomy nurse sent me home with did not adhere as well. 

If you can manage it and bear the trial and error I would suggest trying different solutions keeping track of what works for you.  I have a whole box if unused items from trying different products that I will get to the local Ostomy group supply closet next time I am in their area.

Have a good day.

cygo

LK, john68 and GoatHerder reacted
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

All good advice, thanks!

My stoma is flush, and a convex wafer is a must! I like the 2 piece system, and use the one from Hollister. It's pretty stiff and hard, but I need it like that with my flush and herniated stoma.

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Great Information for anyone needing a switch or a jumping on/off point! 

Thank you for taking the time to write the info!! I have a longer stoma but sure feel for anyone dealing with a short or flush Stoma!

I truly have to wonder if Surgeons even realize that giving a flush stoma can cause so MANY issues. Ugh!! 

Linda

cygo reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@dlkfiretruck agree!! I came out of hernia surgery to a flush stoma. I literally cried. Surgeon was not too concerned. Said the nurses would help me find a new pouch. I don’t think they know the anxiety we go through even trying to find a new one that will work out. Had blowouts unexpected a few times. Once in Walgreens. I ran out, left a full cart in the aisle and raced home. It took a while to find a new pouch for my flush stoma. Still upset about it. I truely miss my outy stoma and my old pouch.

LK and GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

Surgeon was not too concerned. Said the nurses would help me find a new pouch. I don’t think they know the anxiety we go through even trying to find a new one that will work out.

This is so unfortunate, and likely very true.

Was your surgeon a general surgeon or a colorectal surgeon? The latter may be more in tune with these concerns, since that's their specialty.

Either way, they shouldn't have brushed it off so quickly.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@veganostomy he was my hernia surgeon. He repaired my hernias but he also knows how to do stomas as he’s in the colorectal department. He told me I may be waking up to a new stoma but he left this one because he said it looked perfect.  My colorectal surgeon made the stoma about 2-3 years prior.

ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

@chelly For what it's worth, my stoma was formed in an emergency surgery after a bowel rupture. Mine too, is flush, and I have a hernia. I have zero leaks and get 4 days of wear using the Hollister convex 2 piece system. Not having the luxery of a stoma nurse, I found this solution on my own, ordering samples from different manufacturers.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@goatherder thank you for the info. I’m in a convex but having adhesive issues. Too much adhesive to be exact. It’s an extended wear product and for some odd reason is causing a very sticky situation but today my nurse gave me a new convex bag to try out that is not extended wear. The convexity is a savior!! I agree.

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

@chelly I use a silicone based barrier spray or wipe before securing my wafer. Seems to make it easier to remove. I'm using the extended wear Hollister system.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@goatherder the rep at Hollister told me not to use barrier spray or wipes with the extended wear. She sent me an extended wear cera plus pouch to try and I did not use a barrier wipe or spray but basically the same sticky gooey situation for me. I was using a barrier wipe prior to her telling me that. She thought maybe that was why I was getting too sticky but no.  I think because I rinse my pouch so much due to a very active stoma and pancaking issue that the wafer is getting too much water and turning sticky gooey. I learned today that these extended wear take in the water or liquid so that it stays off our skin. I

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)

@chelly Weird, they told me TO use a barrier spray. I use a bidet to clean out my bag, several times a day. and don't have the wafer adhesive problems you are. Hope you can resolve it soon!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

the rep at Hollister told me not to use barrier spray or wipes with the extended wear.

Yes, I think most manufacturers will advise against barrier spray/wipes with their extended wear products as it could interfere with the adhesive's ability to stick properly.

I will say that I was using some Hollister wafer extenders the other day to try them out, and I did end up with a pretty gooey mess after a shower, like what you've described.

Funny thing is that they didn't even stick very well to begin with (only a few days before peeling up), so it was for nothing. LOL

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@goatherder you are so lucky to not have that issue. I’m not sure the reason why not to use them but I think Eric explains it below. 
my sticky mess seems to be getting better since switching pouches yesterday. The nurse got a whole lot off. Then later that night I changed again to clean up the area even more. Now tonight I took it off and cleaned up again and got into the shower. I can say with certainty that the sticky problem is getting less. Time will tell. You’re using a Hollister. I was using convatec durahesive and only used the cera plus pouch twice so I could have still had my durahesive build up on my skin maybe. I think between my rinsing and sweating it just got so built up and not to mention I was using safe and simple barrier wipes for months until I was told no barrier wipes with extended wear. Safe and simple wipes are most sticky, tacky wipes I’ve ever seen anyhow. So here I had a cocktail of that mixed with the melted barrier residue on my skin and kept applying this over and over not realizing for almost 10 months. That durahesive active life pouch is a great pouch and so easy to manage for those who would not have to rinse as often as I do.  I really miss the way it’s constructed compared to this new one. It’s a trade off for me.

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@veganostomy lol, so you got a small taste of what I’m going through. Imagine months if this. Gooey legs, feet, shoes , socks, hands and even gets into the towels and wash cloths. Shower floor…. Yep my feet stuck to it.

I know a lot of these things they are using pectin in these days and those water absorbing materials. Maybe those strips have that in it? 

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chelly  ... oh my Chelly,  I would have sobbed, not cried ! ...Reading this I'm imagining having a lawyer present to have the Surgeon sign agreement papers for doing an outy only stoma!! Lololol!!! I like my outy stoma so much.  Over the years  (almost 14) I've learned that most with a flush stoma are not happy with it & it seems they certainly face far more challenges because of it.  John, your a long timer, what do you think??  ERIC... any response to this?  Chelly, Your right, after surgery the surgeon really has no clue how a flush stoma affects a patient or the anxiety & challenges faced because of it. About a year after my surgery I wrote a thank you note to my surgeon for giving me an "outy stoma" & explained why I appreciated it so much.  I didn't realize he had retired but the receptionist said she'd made sure he got the card & he was very pleased things were going well for me & the thank you note was a first from a patient with an ostomy.  I really liked that Surgeon & I do wish these good ones never had to retire! Lol! 

Have you tried washing & conditioning  your hair separately from a shower? Like in a sink.. verses risking solutions comprimising the security of a stuck on pouch?  I use extra tapes all the time & though they do swell a bit around the edges when in the water, I find once they're dry enough & only if need be,  I will secure a second layer of stretchy C shaped tapes over them  & get a day or so more out of a pouch wear time. However on pouch change day,  I'm fully submerged in a hot bath for 2 hours then I change the pouch over! Thats when I notice the gross slimy swollen stickiness of tapes but only after I'm in water too long.  I then use toilet paper to grasp the tapes with to remove them. 

Things really need to change for you! It must be exhausting dealing with these things. You are pretty tough! lol! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@dlkfiretruck well the surgeon who do the stoma did make it an outy but after hernia surgery it flattened out. So wasn’t the same surgeon. They say this happens quite a bit after hernia surgery. There are times it will pop out but the most challenging is if it’s in a flat state during pouch changing. I’ve actually thought about that this week. I notice I put my convex bag on, it pops it right out so I’m thinking of keeping a convex flange just to press against it to pop it out and then put my new pouch on after I have it popped out because it will stay popped out long enough for me to get the pouch on. I would say that might work for someone who’s using a flat pouch as well. They could just pop that stoma out with the convex flange in order to get their pouch on right. Of course they can still go flat again once in the flat pouch. 
yes there are times I won’t even use hair conditioner or I will bend my head down in the shower forward and keep away from my stoma area. Doesn’t always happen that way because I’m usually in a hurry. I just have to be mindful about getting anything slippery on this stoma area. 
yes it’s exhausting to say the least. I’m dealing with like 4 other issues not stoma related and have to keep myself grounded and calm. The stoma ordeal is the most unsettling though.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chelly  Hello Chelly... Its hard juggling "a few other" issues going on too... but in time & for me,  it has and I hope for you too that it all becomes old hat! Like you & many others here I'm  sure, I do my best not to let it all get the best of me... its not always easy though, esp. Lately ! Lol!  

Its kind of amazing to me how we figure out little things to try and  adjustments to make all in the name of solving a problem causing discomfort or issues hard to live with & those causing pain & embarassing situations & even serious problems too. 

I admire this community of people so very much! We come together to help others adjust & offer up ideas & things that worked for us hoping to help someone find a conclusion to their issue/s, all the while encouraging them to come back & contribute right back for others newbies or oldies,  lol,  needing help or encouragment. 

I can only imagine how frustrating this has all been for YOU but it sounds like you have the coping thing rather down pat !! Lol!  As much as I'd like to think I do, its not always easy  & I'm  sure I fail often.   Keep it up & feel free to share whats worked in balancing several issues at once... lol, maybe thats a whole other forum.... lol! 

Linda

P.S. . . Hey Eric... I don't know if its just my phone, as I no longer use a computer, but I'm having trouble starting a new forum still.  I just can't seem to figure it out for anything. It sounds easy but my brain just is not connecting the dots! Lol! Can you help/try again please?  My appologies! Linda.

Linda

Mrs Shoob reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@dlkfiretruck hi and thank you. Juggling? Shute if you all only knew the jist of what I’ve been juggling the last couple years. And yeah it would be a whole other forum.

I’m sure we are all going through storms of some sort. not just with our stoma’s and illness’s. We just have to stay grounded and keep moving along I guess. It surely helps to be able to come to a forum where others have experience and can share ideas and what has worked for them. I found it comforting to come here to get help and you all have been great. 

Mrs Shoob and LK reacted
ReplyQuote