Clear all

Holiday supplies

17 Posts
8 Users
26 Likes
john68
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Hi Folks, Hard to believe we are nearing the end of another year. It’s always a good idea to check how we’re doing for ostomy supplies and order ahead of the holiday rush. No point Santa 🎅 being the only one in the house with a bag on Christmas Eve🧦

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, VeganOstomy, GoatHerder and 1 people reacted
Chelly
(@chelly)

Haha! Funny! Only problem here is I’m in the United States and insurance dictates that we get our supplies on a certain date every month. It’s actually nerve racking at times. I always have to make sure I have at least 10 back up bags on hand. Merry Christmas to you!

LK, john68 and GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)

Posted by: @chelly

Haha! Funny! Only problem here is I’m in the United States and insurance dictates that we get our supplies on a certain date every month. It’s actually nerve racking at times. I always have to make sure I have at least 10 back up bags on hand. Merry Christmas to you!

Chelly, 
Yup that is my worry as well. 

I was getting my order in on the 7th/8th of every month then in October my supplier failed to process my order so now my date is around the 20th of every month.  

I will probably call them and see if they will ship overnight to ensure I get the stuff before 2023.  

Frustrating.  That said I am happy my insurance pays for my supplies.

Have a good one.

cygo

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Hi All, That’s an issue I wasn’t aware of. I can see how unnerving that would be. Here in the UK we are spoiled with the NHS. A great service and guess what, not appreciated by so many 🙁

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I’m in the United States and insurance dictates that we get our supplies on a certain date every month.

That's incredibly frustrating. Leaves with little ability to plan or coordinate things.

It's good that you're keeping a buffer, though!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)

When I first saw the Subject Line: Holliday Supplies I thought that maybe someone made pouches in Red and Green for the holidays.  I too get my supplies every 90 days so I'm good until Feb 23.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

john68, VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Great Suggestion John!!  I can't imagine the turmoil of having supplies so strictly regulated! You all in the U.S. & I'm sure other countries, have my deepest thoughts! We all know how one or two (unscheduled) leaks in a row or even within hours can change the supplies available & when finances are an issue. ..  well!! Thats another "Deep" subject there!  UGH!!!  Do they not have allowances for this at all? 

So... on that note, what happens if you change from one # pouch style to fit your needs to another ?? Are you allowed that at least ?    

I know I have been grateful all along for the pouches, wipes & sprays  & stoma powder & even tapes made available through Medical in Canada & not a day goes by that I take it all for granted. I do know too that there are differences in whats covered based on which Province we live in but not too drastically.  Kind of makes you wish more in Governments had the need to use these lovely pouches! Pretty sure the limits & restrictions would be loosened like many of their garment Belts!! Lol! ... just sayin'!!! I think I'd be trying a lot of samples! 

Linda

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I just ordered my "holiday stock" (which, in fact, should last like six months), and realized that prices have gone up once again. 😡 

Like food, I think it's only a matter of time before my 10 pack of 1pc bags shrinks to an 8 pack for the same price 😒 

I'm lucky to have the choice to buy whatever ostomy product works for me, but I can't imagine how difficult things have been/will be for people on fixed-incomes if prices continue to go up.

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)

a simple fix here.  30 cents a day saved for a year equals a 20pack of sensura bags for me. more or less, most people are on a fixed income.  many simple ways to save a little money here and there.   I tend to only buy foods at the store that are on sale, then I buy 2 or 3 items.  as a long time coffee drinker, tea costs less so I made the switch, drink coffee only on weekends.   got to be a little creative. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

Well, my supply company came through! I did get my December supply. And more samples coming from Coloplast to try out. It’s going to be a worryless Christmas for me this year 😁

VeganOstomy, john68 and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @dogtalkerer

a simple fix here.  30 cents a day saved for a year equals a 20pack of sensura bags for me.

This can help if you don't go through supplies very often. But I recall in my first year or two with a stoma, I was using CDN$5000+ of supplies, which isn't hard to do if you've got skin issues or need to change your appliance frequently. A 10% jump in prices would be $500+!

A single appliance change could cost $30+, which is why I relied on private insurance back then.

These days, I'm very fortunate that I'm able to get over a week on a single 1pc appliance (switched from a 2pc to save money), and don't require any additional supplies to go with it. But I know it's tough for so many out there, at least in countries where supplies are still purchased out of pocket.

Being frugal is a good strategy, but we should really be following what other countries do for patients and provide these supplies for free.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@veganostomy I never knew Canada had to pay for supplies. That’s horrible.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@veganostomy I never knew Canada had to pay for supplies. That’s horrible.

It is. But some provinces do offer grants, special discounts, etc. Not enough to cover it all, but it can help.

Private insurance is still more affordable if you use a lot of supplies per month, but it's also difficult to find one after your surgery, since they will flat out deny coverage for your "pre-existing condition".

I ended up cancelling mine a few years ago because the premiums were more than what I was spending on supplies out of pocket once I factor in government grants. But it really did save me in the first few years.

GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I assumed that Canada would have paid for supplies, also. My insurance here in the states (there are many different insurance companies and coverages) has paid for most of my supplies. My premiums are quite high. And the insurance company is very vigilant (!) about making sure that I don’t have a single thing more than I need. They require a precise prescription from my doctor annually. They will only send one month’s supplies, at least one month between orders, and I must call to order. They sometimes ask me just exactly how many of each thing I have left. Honestly, I try to live carefully and responsibly, and not squander anything, and that last one annoys me.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)

I think john68 can asnswer some questions about free supplies VO.   I seem to recall john68 saying that the basic bag is free (UK), maybe he can expand on what that actually means.  would my sensura with velcro and filter apply to free supplies, and what if you want to use a bag not offered by the government?

VO, if all is free, would you suggest price controls so all different bags are the same price?  how would you price a 1 piece relative to a 2 piece?

VO instead of limitless bags for people who have dificulties, wouldn't additional medical help be more cost effective than limitless bags?

VO, why was it costing you $30 CDN per bag change, you were changing every 2 days?  in hindsight, could this have been corrected with proper medical help?  i pay $7.46 CDN per change.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Hi All , The UK NHS.. National Health Service is a free service at the point of use. What that means is any one needing to use Hospital services no matter what that involves is free. Any one receiving medication short or long term is also free. I know that any ostomy supplies no matter what the brand can be received at no charge. The exception would be guards or ostomy related clothing. Any Uk citizen can avail of treatment and medication. How’s all that funded. At 16 every one receives a national insurance number. When employed a percentage is deductible from wages over a certain amount. These contributions also count towards a state pension when retiring. The Government also sets a budget every year which the NHS receives money from. That’s a general explanation of how it works. I know I feel bad when I read of what American and Canadian ostomates have to pay and go through .

LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@john68 I have heard the UK has the best health system than anywhere. You are so fortunate.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote