Clear all

Pain medication

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

When I had my first surgery the pain medication dosage was not enough and frequently had searing pain for days it seemed like the medication only lasted a couple of hours and I had to wait for an hour-2 hours for my next dose. It’s bad enough being in the hospital having organs removed but do I have to be in pain afterwards?  Has anyone asked prior for a button or higher dosage? At least for the first 72 hours?

wondering

LK reacted
(@chrisandbagpus)

Hi Rick

I'm assuming your talking about a morphine pump. they can give you other pain medication also to help with the pain relief.

My experience on the morphine pump was that I suffered either ileus or gastroparesis after my surgery, needed a ng tube and iv only fluids for 6 days until my digestives system woke up! again, apparently the morphine can effect the vagus nerve function. also I had a very bad withdrawal from the morphine to the extent its now on my medical record as an adverse reaction to opiates.

I mention this here so you can see a reason why they might want to limit the dosage of morphine. There are slow release patches and medications that might work better for you.

Mention your previous experience  and another worries you have to the surgical team in your pre-med

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Rick...that is an  issue with me as well.   Let your prescribing Doctor know that you find this happens, and ask what can be done, or  request for a four hour interval instead of 4 to 6, or ask if there is a medication that may work better for you, then the one he prescribed. If he says he ordered 4 to 6 then ask why your nurse refuses to give at 4 hours. I was often in pain by the 3 hr mark.  Be vocal about your issues to the nurses & the doctors. I learned to tell them flat out, this drug is useless in my body. The pain was always in the high 9 - 10 even up to 14 range or what I felt was out of control sometimes & I feel like I'm being tortured!!  Can we please try a different medication?  Do not be afraid to ask the prescriber how he is advising the dosage. This is your right to know how much & when. Keep track of it & the nurses name too.  I'm learning phones are fabulous for this too.   Some nurses hold back an amount if the Doctor says as an example... 10 mg. they might give you 8 mg. Capping the syringe is usually a clue especially if they do not put it in the sharps container, but in their pocket.  The 1st 3 days after surgery are usually the hardest.   I've learned to ask the nurse how much she gave me & when can I have more if I need it.  Check the clock.  Then make sure you tell the doctor what she does & in front of a head nurse too. You can also, for lack of a better word,  "tell" on her to the head nurse if you feel your not getting the prescribed meds or the relief. The head nurse usually accompanies the doctor on rounds, ask her to please make sure that your getting what the doctor prescribed!   The head nurse has a big job, but part of it is making sure your comfortable & that your getting as the doctor prescribed. Nurses are obligated to play their roll in preventing drug addiction & some will drag it out for you. I once actually reported a nurse for withholding some in the syringe in one stay , turned out she was later caught taking what was left! 

If need be, you can be ready to video your conversation but I hope it never comes to that for you.

I have learned that my bodies physical build affects the rate it accepts medication.  As an example, my new GP always prescribed 6 to 8 days in an antibiotic. About 3 weeks later I was always back in the office & required a repeat, or landed in hospital with a kidney infection.   I get frequent  bladder infections due to my bladder disease. I had to tell my new GP after  months of repeated visits & infections that my old GP, always prescribed 10 to 14 days and it worked far better saving me frequent office visits & unnecessary tests &  repeats from an original infection that never cleared as well as money,  car fuel & my energy. When possible before surgery always tell your surgeon your concerns ahead of time too. Some of us simply require a more frequent dose due to metabolism as well. I truly hope this changes for you. 

Linda

ReplyQuote