Clear all

Aches In the Abdomen Near the Stoma

9 Posts
6 Users
10 Likes
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone.  I know the best way to get an answer here is to see a Dr. or stoma nurse, but I was just wondering about your experiences.  I'm almost 10 months post-op for my permanent ileostomy.  Stoma works perfectly and I'm yet to have a single leak.  I do have a dull achy feeling in my abdomen after long periods of inactivity, particularly upon waking up in the morning, and after sitting at my desk for long periods.  After I stretch out and move around for a while, it seems to go away.  Sometimes when my abdomen is achy it feels a bit tender to the touch near my stoma.  When I take my bag off and take a shower, I do feel several lumpy, hard areas under the skin.  They have not changed at all since I started noticing them months ago.  I'm very active, and this has not stopped me from doing anything.  And, I wear a 4" Nu Hope support belt nearly all times when I am not asleep because I like the support and security it gives me when I am active.  I think it is just scar tissue that I feel.  My abdomen on the right side with my stoma does stick out a bit more than my left side, but I cannot feel anything out of the ordinary, and when flexing my ab muscles I feel nothing but firm tissue (no squishy lumps) etc.  I guess my long-winded questions is, do any of you have an achy sensation in your abdomen near your stoma after being inactive for a while and then moving around again?  Thanks for your time.

Glenn  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK reacted
(@john68)

Hi Glenn, The first thing springs to mind is a hernia! But that would be less bothersome when resting not like you are experiencing This is just a thought about the lumps could these be ingrown hairs. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@john68

No.  They are deep in the tissue.  My surgeon did use mesh in the construction of my ostomy, so may have something to do with that?  Not sure.  At this point, it is of little bother, but I hate t think that I have a problem that will get worse with time.  Again, I guess I should check in with a Dr. to be safe.  

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giroir

HI Glenn,

I am going on my 1st year since my ostomy, Oct 17th 2019. I still feel the sensations you are talking about. I"m not sure they will ever subsided, but things do get better. But it seems like there will always be some type of issue with the ostomy. I'm not sure it will change with time, i am trying to be optimistic . In some ways it has changed my life for the better, but in other ways it seems to add a bit more anxiety. I think that is the way it will be.

I feel the ostomy more in the morninig and after being inactive. You do have to distinguish this between a leak and normal feeling of just having the osteotomy. I hope this helps answer your question, ,it is a very hard balance between feeling better and normal. 

Kevin Dieffenbach

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi there Glenn...I had similar to that for some time after surgery, then it went away & I got busy.  Back to life as normal & after I got back to doing everything, it revisited me!!  I was told it was  deep tissue swelling that had not healed yet.  There was a dull achey pressure, sometimes a bit of nausea and sore, but  not quite painfull areas... I remember being very aware of my guts moving & contents going past those achey thick places.  I was told to take it easy again for a few more months which just about drove me around the bend! Eventually the swollen areas did simmer down & go away.

I hope his heals up for you!  You did make that Doctor apt. just to be sure right? 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@glenn-giroir It can be normal for some, but I would suggest speaking with your doctor just to rule out any other concerns. If you had the mesh put in, it's possible that it's related. 

Out of curiosity, do these pains subside after you pass some output? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric.  The pains are not related to output at all.  My stoma works like a champ, and I rarely notice any sensation with the passage of output.  I think it is tissue stiffening up when I have been inactive for a while.  Once I have been moving for a few minutes, I feel nothing at all.  The lumpy spots that I mention seem to be either getting smaller with time or are not changing at all, and nothing is bulging.  I'm thinking I'm dealing with scar tissue and the continuation of the healing process, but I certainly will be making an appointment with my stoma nurse to ask if she thinks this warrants a Dr. visit or if all seems normal to her.  Then I'll go from there.  It is WAY easier for me to visit my stoma nurse because she is local, than my Dr., who is 350 miles away in Denver.  Anyway, I'm still doing very well with my stoma and recovery.  Thanks for the input from everyone.  It is always appreciated and I am always impressed with the willingness of people to listen and talk on this forum.  

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone.  Ostomy nurse thinks all is well.  Probably just deep scar tissue.  Perhaps continued integration of the mesh with tissue.  Things are likely just still finding their happy place.  She saw nothing that pointed to hernia or any other problem at this point.  Stoma is working great, and my skin looks very good.  Check back in a few weeks, and if anything gets worse they'll take a closer look.     

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

@glenn-giroir

Hi Glenn,

I just found out about your problem. I caught up on everything today. I am certainly glad to hear that things weren't as bad as you feared. Healing takes a while sometimes. 

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote