Community Forums

Odors??  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 14, 2020 11:47 am  

glen, what I think you are experiencing are two things, permeability and the rate of permeability of thin film plastics.  the bag film takes on a stink.

the nose knows.......

I see the same thing all the time, 3, 4 or 5 days and the bag stinks, not so much human waste but more a bad morning breathe smell.   good ol sulfurs.

if you have a 2 piece, you could  rinse with water while its attached, then remove it and do a hydrogen peroxide rinse.   put it back on.   i don't think the deodorants will help, but worth a try.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 19, 2020 11:40 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

I see the same thing all the time, 3, 4 or 5 days and the bag stinks, not so much human waste but more a bad morning breathe smell.   good ol sulfurs.

When I notice the smell, the inside of the bag does have the smell of sulfur.  But, the smell I get with the bag sealed is like the faint smell of a baby's diaper.  The interesting thing to me is that it happens only when I have on a two-piece appliance.  I've tried one and two piece Hollister and Convatec appliances.  Never had a single smell from a sealed one-piece bag. The worst was a Convatec 2-piece with accordion flange.  I'm wearing a Convatec one-piece now and happily NO hint of odor after day 2.  I'm not particularly concerned about this, as even with the odor, I'm confident that I am the one one who can smell it, but it sure is nice to have ZERO odor.   

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 20, 2020 1:15 am  

Glen, I think this may well get better when you get the M9 you ordered.( if you have not already recieved it))  I use a one piece, but about twice a day I also rub the sides of my pouch together to sort of scrub it and I will also use rubbing alcohol on the outside of the pouch and clean  the vent about once a day or as needed too.  I am so glad I have the alcohol on hand as the other night while holding my baby Grand daughter I had a leak from the vent.  I had not properly closed it.  I guess the weight of baby and the pressure of snuggling her close on my lap  allowed content to be pushed up and out the vent.  This was a first for me.  But knowing I have 99% alcohol to use, made the difference of needing to change the pouch or not, when I had just put a new one that morning.  Your a science teacher, I learned years ago of a homemade recipe from the internet using 3% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide and made a rinse for my pouch with that, also scrubbing the sides together.   I have done this for years now.  I do not notice any of such an odor and like you I am very sensitive to whether I can be "smelled" or not. For the record, it was not odor that led me to the leak holding baby, it was my puppy! lol!  Even my son sitting right beside, had not noticed a smell.  Is it true that we need Hydrogen Peroxide to break down waste?  I believe this is why the creator of the recipe I use added it to the little list.  Be well and stay strong!  You are doing amazingly awesome on  this journey for a better life of health and fun and teaching.   Have any students contacted you yet?  My, what I would have given to have an adult to talk to me about what I was experiencing at that age!  They are so lucky to have you!   

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
January 29, 2020 12:30 pm  

the diaper smell sounds like a micro tent problem.  this is the reason I stopped using hollister.  i liked the bags but after repeat bending for a couple of days the flange would tent.  very small but enough for a pin sized direct vent hole.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: