Clear all

Odors??

32 Posts
13 Users
27 Likes
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

I'm about 5 weeks into my permanent ileostomy.  I'd read many times before my surgery that one concern of ostomates is odors from their pouches being noticeable.  I've also read that most ostomates swear that they can smell their pouches, but that no one else, when asked, say that they can.  Well, I CAN smell the contents of my pouch, especially at night in bed when I pull the covers over my head.  It is not overwhelming but it is there.  My wife swears that she cannot.  I have had no leaks in these 5 weeks.  I'm using Hollister two-piece bags with no filter.  I change my pouch twice a week.  The flange is sealed well to the pouch.  The odors, to me, seem to be worse with time (on about day 3 or 4).  I know that I have not been careful about avoiding pungent foods, say like spaghetti and meatballs with garlic.  ? But, I am paranoid that people can detect odor and are just being polite.  I wear an Ostomy wrap from OstomySecrets, and I have even taken to putting a Bounce dryer sheet into the pocket with my pouch.  I've just ordered M9, but waiting on its arrival.  Any takes on this?  I'm sure I just have my nose tuned to trying to find the smell, so it is easier for me to detect it.  Also, I know very well what it smells like, so I can find it pretty easily.  Now, burping the pouch is another, shall we say *intense* experience alltogether.  Wow.  I was foolish enough to try that in bed one night.  Luckily, everyone in our house (except for me) are sound sleepers.  ?       

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK reacted
(@john68)

Hi Glenn, I am willing to wager that you don’t smell ? now if a filter wasn’t working maybe or output on the outlet not cleaned well. I have had the same experience as you and asked my wife who said it’s in your head. I leave it down to a smell in my nose from emptying. Plus my wife can smell better than a blood hound ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Glenn, if you and I had checklists about this ours would be just about identical (my stoma is from April 2018). In my case the M9 drops made such a difference, yet I am certain that I can sometimes smell the bag, especially at night, like you. I bought a set of 3 StomaCloaks ( they are a lightweight fabric, and machine-washable) and sometimes wear one at night, which does the trick. You can wear them during the day, but I don’t because they are a little bulky. LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Yes.  I do believe it is because I know very well what the stuff inside of the bag smells like from when I empty.  Then, I am constantly looking for that smell.  You know, if you look for something, you're likely to find it.  I'm no stranger to dealing with smells, having had ulcerative colitis for 25 years, and particularly the last 5 or so years when we just couldn't find remission anymore.  You've got to have a sense of humor about things, and I sometimes questioned if I was human, based on what was happening in my colon.  We are fortunate enough that I have a "my" bathroom at home, and my family was very happy about that.  The ileostomy experience has been much better.  Just being paranoid.  Thanks!  

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)

Hi Glenn,

Very rarely I can smell my bag and if I do it is, like you said, in bed under the covers. It seems to me that this is more of an issue with a two piece system than with a one piece system. I have read somewhere that eating yogurt can help to reduce the smell. This does seems to help a bit (only to reduce, not to eliminate).

Having said that, at this moment I always use the Safe n' Simple Ostomy Pouch Deodorant (1/3) mixed with the coloplast brava gel (2/3) which I think is similar to the M9 product. Reason I mix it is because the coloplast is paid for by my insurance but doesn't work as good and the Safen' simple I have to pay out of my own pocket.

For me the Pouch Deodorant is really the perfect answer and almost eliminates any odor, also helps to be more confident when you need to empty your pouch outside your own home.

-Marco.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@marco

I changed my pouch this morning and put on a one-piece with no filter (had this as a Hollister sample - #8031).  I don't imagine you can get a more sealed-off system than that.  Looking forward to seeing if there is a difference.  I do also suspect that it is related to the two-piece system and the seal at the flange??   Thanks for your suggestions!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Glenn does the bag you have been using have a filter, I ain’t got any experience of filters but online here problems can arise. I know the 2 piece system are very secure. I have woken with a bag as far as it could go with wind and the wafer would have give out before the coupling. But with an ostomy it’s what works and makes the user comfortable.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir, Robert and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Glen...I am so ?glad you are  doing  well and back at ??⚗????? work!

About  odor....da. da. da. daaaa!  ??? I would say take a depth breath... but I am certain I know what you think you would ☺️ smell ? by doing that!!!  I could not ? afford the M9 for a few years after my ileostomy,  and I was sure EVERYONE was fibbing if I asked if I stank ? ☺️? I was sure  even the Man I slept with ?at the time was fibbing ? too! lol. (no, I'm not a prostitute?, he died, and not from my ? odor!? lol!)

I had three ???dogs ? at that point and  they were "not" sniffing me out. But if I developed a leak, they knew it even if they were outside across the yard,  and they made a huge point of letting me know it too! ??lol! ???....one for each dog?! If you don't have one, get a dog?, they will be honest ⛪with you in a way you never imagined! lol. One time my oldest girl dog, sniffed me out (hey Google, we need a skunk please) when I did not detect a teensy little leak and then she went across the yard and buried her head with her paws moaning and groaning the whole time when she looked back at me with disgust ??? she then snorted? like a ?bull out her snout and continued burying her head!!!?. 

You will LOVE ? the M9❣I honestly did not realize how I had only left the house for  necessities until I bought the M9!  It gave me back my life.  I find,  for  whatever  reason it also seems to somehow neutralize the gaz odor and tho I ? watch  what & when I eat ??, my wierd and wonderful guts produce a lot of gaz,  so   I invested in the Osto- ez- Vents, (I wear a one piece) for convenience and then I use some  hand sanitizer.  Maybe you being a science teacher can teach me if the M9 really neutralizes the  air in our pouch or if I am just imaging it. Maybe while we are on the topic of teaching, is there a reason I feel the need to wash or use hand sanitizer on my  hands every time I release air thru the little vent? I worry that  there is something in gaz that gets on my fingers that drives me to wash my hand/s every time? (Please do not mark my spelling  (gaz), I am mad  at?‍♀️autocorrect right now and am trying to get even with Google. Lol! )

I have reasoned the smell ?we ? think we smell is connected to the knowledge we have related to a babies ?? diaper.  They are not sealed up the way our pouch is so, when a baby has made a message ? for us we all know from 5 feet away ? that they made one. Maybe that is part of why  we think we smell it when even our dogs do not...until a leak of course!  Also, when I empty "gaz", (?take that Google,) or output, it really is kind of in our faces in a way it never used to be, and not behind us so much anymore making it a tad easier to digest. You will Love the M9. Call Hollister and ask for a sample size bottles, they are about a 1 oz., size, and take  it to work with you. Your good confidence will climb to a higher level!  All the continued best Glen, so happy things are going well for you! TIP...when you toss the expired stoma powder, toss the powder and reuse the bottle for M9. All the continued best Glen. You too are a welcome addition at VO!...Linda 

Linda

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@john68

No filter on that bag.  I seriously think it's all in my nose.  

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck

Thanks, Linda.  I'd never thought of the fact that we are now able to fart in our own faces.  Another ostomate superpower.  We do have two dogs and a cat. You make a good point.  Neither of our animals cares the slightest about my pouch.  Neither dog has ever attempted to sniff the pouch, so I'm sure you're right in that's proof that it doesn't smell.  I have some osteo ez vents on the way as well as the M9.  I think I favor one-piece bags, and the vents will come in handy.  Thanks for helping me out.  I appreciate this forum. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Glenn,

Along with Linda, I think that Hollister's M9 works extremely well. I've tried others - even Coloplast's brand - but haven't found one that works like M9.

Linda,

Wow! I think you have the hang of using emoji's! When I am not using my phone to reply (like now) I can't access them as easily. Thanks for making me smile today!

God bless!

Stella

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@sjlovestosing

Yup, I was a bit bored! hehehe!   

Glen, I have the Vents down to a science!  ? I find this alcohol is very quick to remove  the shine off the pouch where you will be putting  on the vent! Pop into your local pharmacy or call and see if they can order in for you a bottle of "Isopropyl Alcohol 99%".   This will help make removing the shine a much quicker process.  Unless....you have access to something better... and would like to share? If you need ideas let me know eh! 

(P S. You may have to sign for the alcohol)

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @glenn-giroir

Any takes on this?  

I don't doubt that you probably do smell something, so let's find out if we can identify the source.

A few questions and comments:

1. Do you notice this at any time the first day it two or is it always after the 3-4 day mark?
  2. Is your wafer a tape border or the thicker hydrocolloid? 
  3. If you run your fingers over your wafer around the flange area, then smell your fingers, do you notice any smell? Gross, sure, but we have to get to the source and it's possible that the smell is permeating from the wafer. 
  4. M9 should help with odors when emptying your bag, but I'm not sure if it will help if the smell is coming from the wafer. We'll see, I guess ?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric.  I think it is from a combination of just having some residual smell from emptying the pouch and maybe getting some output on the edge of the flange (where it connects to the pouch) when I burp the bag?  I try to rinse the bag at most emptyings.  I empty, then pour water into the bag from the bottom and slosh it around, then empty again.  Then clean the opening well with a wipe.  And, it is probably also related to the fact that my output was really, really bad smelling after eating pizza and spaghetti with meatballs with probably more garlic than I should have had.  I've noticed today that my output odor is all but gone now since a couple of days have passed since those meals.  I do normally notice this when my bags are reaching the 3 or 4 day mark.  It's like the inside of the bag is stained and retains smell even after I rinse it out.  I'm using a Hollister flange with a tape border.  I don't notice any smell when rubbing my fingers on the wafer.  It's more when I pat the pouch or move it around.  One thing that I considered is that I am popping the seal between the flange and bag too often (I'm still in the "I need to check my stoma repeatedly" paranoid phase (just about 5 weeks post op).  This was a beige bag, so I can't see through it, which makes me nervous.  Maybe I'm loosening he seal between the flange and bag?  I did have a flange that had a small crack in the plastic seal, and it was leaking air.  That was a while back.  Maybe I have a bad batch of flanges?  I changed my pouch this morning.  No leaks. Skin looks great.  Wafer was in pretty good shape after 4 days.  I put on a one-piece Hollister that I got as a sample (8031).  No filter.  This thing has to be about as airtight as anything, so I'll see how this goes.  So far, no hint of any smell, but as I said, my output has relented on the foul smell today.  This is my first one-piece pouch, and I have to say that I like the low profile.  It's amazing how many products there are out there.  Great to have so many options, but a bit daunting trying to figure this out as a new ostomate.  Thanks so much for your help.  I'll report back in a couple days to see how this pouch does.      

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

After reading my response, I realize that most of my problem may be that I just need to leave the bag alone and stop worrying about things.  This takes a bit of getting used to.  ?

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@veganostomy

This was a beige bag, so I can't see through it, which makes me nervous.  

Hi Glenn,

I started out with a 1 piece bag, which was clear. That was the only way I could feel comfortable that I was lining it up properly, using a mirror. I did like the low profile of the 1 piece, but continually struggled with leaks. I have moved on to a 2 piece with an adhesive coupling. The profile is lower that the click one. I feel much more confident putting on the wafer of the two piece from a visibility standpoint. And I have gotten confident that my stoma is okay, so now use the beige bag. This is more comfortable from an appearance point of view, as I have not been using a belt to hide the bag contents. Not that I go flashing my bag all the time, but at doctor appts and at home, I like to have the contents hidden.   I still have leaks with the 2 piece, but they don’t occur as quickly as with the 1 piece. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

@glenn-giroir

I certainly can relate. We all go through a time when we feel self conscious about our ostomies - especially concerning the odors we may be leaving behind. One thing I have learned is that the more we "play" with our appliance, the more likely we'll have leaks. It seems as though you've come to the same conclusion.?

God bless.

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@veganostomy

After reading my response, I realize that most of my problem may be that I just need to leave the bag alone and stop worrying about things.  This takes a bit of getting used to.  ?

haha!! This would not surprise me! Burping the bag may be a valid culprit as it sometimes can cause stool to get past the coupling (especially inside the coupling channel, which is impossible to wipe clean). 

Out of curiosity, do you know if you're using Hollister's new chlorine-free bags? Their clear bags switched over, and they are moving the entire line to it. One of the benefits is better odor control. There would have been a yellow slip in the box of bags stating the new change and this is something they changed in the last year.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric:

I don't think so on the chlorine-free bags.  No yellow slip and it was a beige bag.  I put on a one-piece Hollister with no filter on Saturday morning.  Output is pretty smelly again (can't seem to stay away from garlic lately), but I'm getting no smell at all from the bag once it is all sealed up.  So, not sure.  I really think it was related to the flange and my popping the flange too often.   Anyway, no problems now.  Liking the one-piece, really.  I love simplicity, and can't get much more simple than the one piece with no filter.  Thanks for the help!    

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@sjlovestosing

Thanks, Stella.  Yeah, it's tough to just trust and let things be.  The hardest part for me after surgery is not knowing what is normal and what isn't.  Getting more experience behind me is helping.    

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2