Clear all

Liquid Hair Removal around stoma  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 1, 2018 8:23 am  

Member @dlkfiretruck asked the following:

Hey Guys...just a question, have you ever tried the cream hair remover?  It is by Nair, and I use it on my legs about once every two or three weeks.  I find I had longer time between having to shave my legs using this product verses the every two days with a razor.  I do not envy you having to shave you tummies for your pouches, I would go nuts if I had to do that also.  You would have to protect your stoma of course but I would like to know if you tried this and if it meant less shaving for you.  Its about 10 bucks a bottle. Read the label first. Just wondering.

Hi Linda,

I have not used any chemical hair removers, but I'm sure it can be done, although I do have the following concerns:

1. Is it even safe to use around your stoma? (i.e. can it burn the stoma or enter the bloodstream if it comes in contact with your stoma?)
  2. If it causes a skin reaction, will that compromise one's ability to put on their appliance? I would imagine someone going this route would test on another patch of skin first, although things may change once the wafer is on and that may introduce another variable that may increase the risk.
  3. Does it work better than tweezing/epilating (my current method)?

Not that these questions are directed towards you or anyone in particular, but they do come to mind. 

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried it.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
July 1, 2018 9:40 am  

Nair???????  NO NO NO !!!! A friend of mine (Man) did that bikini lines (in Florida) and he ended up so ill by it..  that also is sensitive skin area..  Putting that stuff near an open wound or stoma your talking in horrible bad tones of verbal abuse !!!

Eric would never try that one for us !! Right Eric??   Not because he does not speak in those tones, and ohhh !!  Putting a barrier/wafer on top? We have enough trouble with sensitive skin weeping skin there as it it is.. Nice kindly thought tho.. I don't  know how the guys put up with the plucking of the hairs tho-- My heart goes out to them that do this. That is a tough one huh !!   

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 2, 2018 8:13 am  

Don't ask me where, but I remember reading somewhere not to do this.  I don't remember why they said not to do it either.  I just filed it away in my head not to take the belly hairs off this way. 

If I'd had a little more foresight, I would have looked into laser hair removal before surgery.  I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed on the laser hair removal now. Being a fairly hairy guy (hence the handle Sasquatch), this was one of the first oddball things I had to navigate as an ostomate.  I shave most of mine, I do it in the shower when I do my bag change. No shaving cream, just water, with a non-lubricated razor.  The hair too close to the stoma to shave gets plucked with tweezers.  It has worked out well so far.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 3, 2018 6:06 pm  

Certainly testing the area first would be vital and definitely protecting the stoma a must, everyone has very different skin and can tolerate different things, but,  I have never read anything on it or heard if anyone had tried it.  Some response there group, lol.  I have found that the cream does not run  and of course testing an area is essential, common sense there, and I certainly would never try this without also testing it with a portion of a  bag plate on top of the area after, for as long as you may wear it normally...whatever normal is. I get eczema badly and I have this supper sensitive skin, yet this is a product that I can use even in my " sensitive " areas.  They make it with Sunflower  Seed Oil and Green Tea Extract.  Also, washing the area thoroughly after the cream would be  the responsible thing to do first removing it with a soft cloth and then perhaps in the shower. Don't you think Eric should try this and let us know?  Lol.  Of course if your not comfortable with this, certainly write it off as a bad question and we would all certainly understand.  But inquiring minds have to ask. I just thought that if I had to shave my tummy and pluck the hairs...I think I would see if the cream works...but test test test first.  Maybe I will see if my hairy, kind of sweaty  son would give this a try for us.  Knowing him he would even wear the bag for a few days.  I know his father would if he were here. He would give me the jokes to go with it too.  Hmm....just a thought, if it were used around the stoma, missing the top part area and with in an inch of the stoma, so the stoma has no contact with the cream to further protect the stoma,  would it be worth it if it  meant a whole lot less shaving or plucking?  With hair removal of any kind there is always the chance of an angry pore issue. If I were to try this, it would be a totally be a different kind of hair compared to that of the male kind. Would protecting the stoma with a damp paper towel be enough to protect it? Or, protecting the stoma and laying down till the cream has done its thing  work?  I have tried to call the number on the back of the bottle to ask a few questions this afternoon, but they were closed,  being back east and all. Ontario. I will continue to try and get a hold of them and see what they say about the chemical makeup and also ask about it getting into the bloodstream and concerns there also.  I know I used it over a bad scratch one time and never noticed or felt any bad result from that experience.  This could be interesting.  

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 3, 2018 8:23 pm  

I don't think we should be encouraging anyone who hasn't tried this to do it. 

If anyone already has experience with using chemical hair removers close to their stoma then I would be interested in knowing how it worked.

To me, it's not worth the risk of possibly causing skin irritation that might prevent me from wearing my appliance.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)
Registered
July 10, 2018 6:41 pm  

I know for me I would never in a million years put this on my body anywhere...severe contact dermatitis, especially when I lived the 1st year and a half into my ostomy with severely broken and bleeding raw meat for skin the entire size of my flange and then some, but that's me. I would have to question the residue left behind, if any, that may cause the appliance not to stick. I have looked up this product, and all the info I could find were the following:

1531262463-Nair.jpg

ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)
Registered
July 10, 2018 6:43 pm  

The other screenshot says that if you have exceptionally sensitive skin, or other skin maladies, consult your doctor first.

ReplyQuote