Community Forums

color of stoma?  

RSS

Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 8, 2018 11:41 pm  

Hi Eric. I had an experience this morning and I know you will say to see a doctor or go to emerge, but because things have improved within the hour, I did not go, being Sunday and my sons birthday, I opted to stay home and see the doctor later or tomorrow. I kept a close eye on the situation all day. Had they delined again, I would have gone to emerge.
Anyways I have a question for you. Have you ...do not get upset here, have you ever had your stoma turn blackyblue in colour,more black than blue. on you? When I got up this morning I had to change my bag over. When I took it off, I was somewhat surprised to see the color of my stoma something other than the usual bright red colour. Have you ever had this happen to you or heard of it. Anything will help here. and note I WILL go to emerge should anything change, not to worry there. I chose not to go to emerge based on a few things. Rose improved in color, there was no pain, no fever, tho she was drier than I have seen. I am aware that my heart has been causing issues again and it may well be bradycardia. I am malnourished from mal-absprption.I have been B12 deficient which causes the same numbness in my hands and feet as some bradycardia symptoms can cause, I have an appointment to see the doctor Tuesday about this, I am not afraid to call an ambulance should I doubt anything. My geriatric nursing experience knows that nothing is going to happen in a hurry here other than being seen in emerge, you still wait to see surgeons and for tests. Being a Sunday the wait would be worse.
Thank you for you time on this. I appreciate you a lot.
Linda Knelsen...and Rose.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 8, 2018 11:57 pm  

Hi Linda,

You are correct - a stoma should be a bright red color. 

If the black/blue color is not caused by anything you've put in your bag (i.e. many pouch deodorants are actually blue) and you cannot wipe it away (i.e. not stool), then I would get it looked at. 

Black/blue may be bruising or a lack of blood supply to the stoma - either way, it's not normal and I'd feel more comfortable if your nurse could have a look at it. 

If you do end up in the emergency room, insist that a stoma nurse see you - a regular nurse likely won't know how to diagnose stoma complications. 

Best of luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 9, 2018 5:23 pm  

Can you imgine, I saw a stoma nurse twice in the hospital and then once a week later also at the hospital. That was about 11 years ago now.  I was never told...hey anytime, call us. Our local hospital has a total of 18 beds. It seems nurses are puttingin time to retirement and have lost there heart for the job.  I would have to travel to be seen by a gastroguy or a stoma nurse of any experience. Anything I know, I learned on my own, right down to how to organize, what to buy and how to change my pouch at home. No help with any if it. It was hit and miss. I often wondered if I was doing any of it correctly. The adhesive remover I had been told to use, burned if it came within a half inch of my stoma. No one told me about Barrier wipes or spray, I learned all that from you. The struggles I have had have been insurmountable at times.  The exhaustion that never seemed to leave was endless. I never had a clue about the things that you have taught in videos and the things I did know, I was so grateful to have you knowledge to compare it to. Eric, you are a God send the way I see it.  I had never told anyone about my surgery of talked about it with anyone but my hubby. When he died, I think I lost a piece of myself. My friend. My confidant. But I was okay with it. I new I had been thru about 8 surgeries in less than 7 months and could survive. A year away from my family was a dress rehearsal for real life. The one person in our church I had been somewhat aware of that had a colostomy, was not helpful at all. She seemed to have this attitude...I had to struggle and you will too, thing about her. Almost like she wished it on me. Not a helpful person at all. I would have been so different if someone had come to me. I would have asked them questions, supported them make sure they got information...like what your doing for everyone. This is an important thing you are doing. We seem to be an exclusive club us ostimates. The other day I read your glossary of terms for ostimates. I was surprised again at what I did not know. I always just called the wafer a plate. I had no clue it was a wafer!  Still learning which is good I guess. I think problems happen when we think we know it all or stop learning and helping others. This applies to all areas of life. Rose was blue again this morning and twice already again today. I see my GP tomorrow at 10:30. I pretty much know it is a heart thing and never wanted a pacemaker, but sometimes we do not have a choice. I guess we will see. I do not think it is healthy for Rose to not have her pretty bright colours. Thank you again for what you are doing here for everyone. You nailed it when you started this sight. You ARE awesome!!!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 9, 2018 5:48 pm  

Hi Linda,

I hope you learn more tomorrow and can get it dealt with. Good to get it checked out. Thanks for sharing your story. We all echo your appreciation of Eric's work and this great web site.

Let us know what you find out! Passing along hard earned information is a great help to the entire community!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 11, 2018 1:14 am  

Okay, here it is.  I saw my doctor this morning and told him what I based the facts on and he agreed that " I " did not need to go to emerge right then.  He also, based on the facts I gave him went straight to a circulation problem.  I get Re-entry Supra-ventricular Tachycardia a fair deal and a weird arrhythmia.  I have had heart surgery  for this, and was told that at some point a pace maker would be important for me. 

However, I had no idea it would possibly turn my stoma such colors, but it makes sense.  So, tomorrow I have to go for an EKG. and to be hooked up to a holter monitor for 48 hours at home doing what I normally do. This has been done so many times to catch what is going on with me. I once spent three days in emerge  on a monitor with my heart rate in the 160's plus.  It was exhausting. They transferred me to Vancouver.  I was given,  as the doctor said... enough drugs to stop an elephant in his path and they did not work....hence the surgery.  I usually run somewhat high of a heart rate even at rest and sleeping.  I have low blood pressure if you can believe that.  Nurses and some doctors have judged me because of this.  When I  tell them that if they have issues they need to ask my doctor, I am here for a reason he deemed important  so if they have an issue...take it up with him!  End of topic. No more explaining from me. I so tire of  bad attitudes in the medical  profession, as the ones that have them tend to colour them all and  because I am not text book for anything other than recovering from surgery I am so aware of it.  This is a whole other conversation.  I am sure many have had some kind of experience or similar.

So, in order to correctly diagnose what is happening here, I have to have these tests and the go from there.  I do not like carting around the portable monitor at all.  I find it a pain in the stoma. Am I allowed to say that? 

I will update as things get done. It takes about ten days for the results to come back from Vancouver so...I wait. Patience is free after all.

Later....Linda                                                              

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register