Ileostomy lessons l...

Notifications
Clear all

Ileostomy lessons learned

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

Any time I have an ordeal where I learn a lesson, I want to share it so others can learn from me and not have to learn on their own. 

Here is my ordeal. I never sleep very well, and therefore am up several times a night emptying my bag. Sunday night was particularly bad and I work up early with a leak so showered and changed my bag early. I was busy all day, so didn’t really nap. We ate dinner about 5:30 and had some leftover strawberry shortcake later in the evening. I went to bed at 1 and tossed and turned until about 2:30 when I started feeling really sleepy. I checked my bag and there wasn’t much in it, so I rolled on my side and finally fell asleep. I woke up just before 6 (very unusual for me to sleep this long without waking up) and my bag was seriously as hard as a rock. I rolled on my back and was going to undo the tail and let air out. But it was so tight I couldn’t even untuck the tail from the little bag flap it folds up under. So I rolled back to get out of bed and felt moisture on the bed. Then I also noticed it on my nightie. I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I tried again to unfold the tail, but it still didn’t work so I detached the bag. You would think the story is predictable from this point. Nope. I was standing over the toilet when I took the bag off. As soon as it was off, Squeaky projectile spewed all over the back of the toilet a couple times. So I now am trying to hold big wads of tp over him while I clean things up. I still had the wafer on with all the output under it. To make matters worse, there was a clog in the tub/shower so it was draining really slowly. I’ve been procrastinating dealing with that. So at this point, I am standing basically naked in the bathroom, having taken off my dirty nightie, holding tp over Squeaky, pouring drain-o down the drain and cutting a new wafer while waiting for the drain-o to do its thing. My husband delayed his departure to work to strip the bed and start a load of laundry. I managed to shower and eventually get a new appliance on. Squeaky was not cooperative at all. Now I’m sitting for a little bit while my bag adheres before I go tackle finishing cleaning the bathroom. 

I figure there were at least 3 important lessons for me to learn from this. Maybe 4. 

1. Do not procrastinate. It would have been nice to skip the drain-o step this morning. 

2.  Any time you are awake during the night, empty your bag, even if it doesn’t feel like much and you are super tired. You never know when you might actually sleep several hours without waking up.

3. When the pressure in your bag is so tight that there is literally no room for anything else, it has to stay in your stoma, so when the pressure is gone, your stoma will angrily get rid of it in a projectile manner. Be prepared for this. 

4. I’m thinking strawberry shortcake may cause a surplus of gas??

I hope this gives you guys some laughs this morning. My husband just saw me still typing away and asked if I was writing a book. 😂😂 He suggested “Tales From the Squeakmeister: Life is a Bowel of Cherries” as a title. 😂😂

Have a great day everyone!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

GoatHerder, sjlovestosing, LK and 1 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

On lesson is great, but 3-4 is even better! Wow. That's like an infomercial disaster, but I'm glad you managed to get through it! 

Nighttime is such a challenge for so many people. And it sucks because there's no single solution or advice that anyone can give to help everyone. 

But I've definitely had that "after pressure" output when a ballooned bag is dealt with. It's good that you now know how to handle it for the future :) 

Thanks for sharing your story 👍

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

Any time I have an ordeal where I learn a lesson, I want to share it so others can learn from me and not have to learn on their own. 

my bag was seriously as hard as a rock.

Liza this is the important moment to pause long enough to think ahh! like a rock very unusual trouble brewing :-0 

Positive note: prior to that a really good night sleep, maybe more strawberry cake equal undisturbed sleep- watch out for transition to fully wake? :-)

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Positive note: prior to that a really good night sleep, maybe more strawberry cake equal undisturbed sleep- watch out for transition to fully wake? :-)

Thanks Chris!!  I thought I slept so well because I was exhausted from not sleeping the night before, but I think I should research your strawberry shortcake theory!!  😉😋

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

sjlovestosing and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Oh my goodness Liza!! I'm so familiar with that hard as a rock thing! My 1st thought was ... what??? You don't apply & use the Osto EZ Vents?? They have truly been a God send by way of Eric's information & I will be eternally grateful for his knowledge! Thank you Eric...again and honorable mention to Glen for  turning the application of them into an easy peasy situation I now actually enjoy doing! 

Last week, I awoke to a hard as rock pouch stuffed so full with output I was afraid to move. Note, it's usually a Gass filled pouch. But, like you, exhausted I slept my 1st seven hours straight in 16 years!!! Yay!!! But...my pouch was so hard I needed to take a few moments to figure out how to safely get to the washroom & avoid a natural disaster.   My pup Missy did the Romeo thing, when she saw me struggling to get off the bed, she wisely moved out of the firing line & sat in the furthest corner of "our bed" to a place of her choice & watched intently as I struggled to get off the bed and desperately needed to avoid doing  laundry and have the carpet cleaned! lol! 

Once in the bathroom, I sat on the throne & tried to release the wee bit of air that I think surfaced from slight movements I had made. My goal was to be able to bend the pouch enough to actually see the velcro opening.  Well, that didn't happen until I opened the vent to release that bit of air & output came shooting out. Experience paid certainly paid off here as I was armed with TP & able to actually prevent a huge mess to clean up after. 

Your story is rather sadly funny. I want to say hilarious but I just can't because I've been there!!  When it comes down to it, I think we have to admit that if anything, this pouch experience is developing some pretty great character responses in all of us!! 

May your day be bright and your bag be soft!! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

I should of added, wake up bag hard as rock. with a two piece have a new bag ready, struggle to the toilet and prepare to abandon ship so to speak. using a nautical term check the wind direction. Have I been there myself "oh Yes" CT scan with contrast next day wake with headache, itchy and Bagpus in tornado mode!!!! twenty minutes later knees buckling I think I can relax now, Oh no Bagpus waits for me to lie down first before a final push!

Looks like I'm reactionary to iodine contrast now to add to the list of adverse, such is the joys and amusement of life with Bagpus the bossy one ;-)

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

(@squeakyandliza)

I am sorry to hear about your explosive experience. Night time is when my pouch usually fills with gas. A couple of times I thought that I would float right out of bed! About a week and a half ago was when I first experienced a full bag. It wasn't hard packed, but on the verge! Fortunately, I was able to get to the bathroom in time. I must admit, I haven't had too many nights when I don't have to get up. Since my operation, I don't have the feeling to urinate as I should. I guess a couple of nerves were severed. So, I have to make sure that I empty the old bladder every three to four hours during the day and get up at some point during the night. Hoping you won't have to go through what you did again! :-D 

Stella

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@chrisandbagpus

Wow, that doesn't sound pleasant either! I don't know if this may be helpful, but when I had to have CT scans and an MRI prior to my operation, as soon as I got home, I soaked in a tub of very warm water with about 2 cups of Epson salts added for about 20 minutes. My homeopath said the salts help to draw out the poisons from the body. I also drank loads of water after my scans.

Stella

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@sjlovestosing

Stella trauma to the nerves in the pelvic regions I think is quite common. there a lot happening there, the surgery is quite complicated. Its not impossible for to recover function slowly Nerves can grow back very slowly, bladder training can help. You like me would of had a very traumatic (Big) operation. For me 10 months later at times I need to go to the bathroom urgently only by body doesn't know which of the four things it might do! one of which it can't (Break wind) and I sure get the feeling I wish I could. Usually urinating relives the tenesmus although I had no sensation for such. just sharing ;-(

I sympathise with you 

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote