Notifications
Clear all

PNW Zoom Ostomy Support Meeting

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all,

My ostomy nurse just sent me an email about an online support group meeting on May 6th at noon. It is open to people in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska. I don’t know where everyone lives (except @lynne), but if anyone in these states wants the information about this meeting, just send me a PM with your email and I will forward this email to you. 

There will be a speaker, Brenda Elsagher. It says she is a comedian and UOAA Director of Support Groups, so I’m guessing it will be good hour.  @veganostomy have you heard of Brenda Elsagher?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and LLNorth liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

I just looked on her website, and she lives in Minnesota, just a few hours from where I live. Looks like upbeat, funny, inspirational presentations and writing! Hope I can see her sometime. Love this quote of hers: “Balance is overrated!” My kind of woman - yess!

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@squeakyandliza

I wish I could be part of that, but I'm in the northeast. It sounds very interesting. Let us know how it is. 

@llholiday

I'll have to check her website out.

Thanks for the info.

Stella

LK and LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

@veganostomy have you heard of Brenda Elsagher?

Actually, yes! Someone mentioned her book about ostomies not too long ago. No doubt that the meeting will be fun :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!!

I just finished the Zoom meeting and it was very good.  Brenda was very entertaining!  One thing she mentioned that I was excited to tell you guys about that she mentioned.  She said the UOAA is going to start doing quarterly Ostomy Academy webinars.  The first one is June 9th.  It will be two hours.  Brenda will do the introduction.  Then there will be half hour speakers on three topics, diet, exercise, and ???  I forget the third.  Then someone will wrap it up with some sort of mental improvement of some sort.  Guess my attention span wasn't that great.  haha

She said to go to ostomy.org and sign up for the e-newsletter.  That is where they will put the information about the Ostomy Academy.  I signed up, so I will let you guys know about it when I get information.

Brenda was a delight, so if you ever get a chance to hear her speak, I would recommend it.  She said she hopes to see everyone next year in Houston.  I assume it is some sort of ostomy conference or something??  

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

I just went onto the Ostomy.org site and signed up for the newsletter. It was easy. Thanks, Liza.

Brenda’s books are on Amazon, and samples can be viewed. They are interesting to read, and I liked the parts I could see about her journey - or, a better word here: for myself as a baby boomer, I would call the ostomy life a “trip” - at times VERY trippy!

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote