Community Forums

How often do you em...

How often do you empty your ostomy appliance?  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
24/01/2018 12:34 pm  

One question we often find ourselves asking, even if just out of curiosity, is how many times most ostomates empty their bag throughout the day.

@shulmjs asked this in another thread, and it'd be interesting to see what everyone's experience has been like. 

I'll go first!

Having an ileostomy, if I'm eating three regular meals a day, I'm probably emptying at least 10 times per day. A lot has to do with the volume of food I'm consuming.

If I decide to fast (i.e. before a trip), I may only need to empty three or four times and it's nearly always going to be liquid. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert liked
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
24/01/2018 1:01 pm  

Hey Eric I also have an ileostomy and I average 10 times in a 24 hour period depending on what I eat and drink too . Sometimes can be pretty liquidy or sometimes it can be kinda thick depending on what I eat .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
24/01/2018 2:23 pm  

Robert, do you empty your pouch when it's half full or less/more? I try to empty when it's about 1/3 full, but at night (when watching TV or editing videos), I tend to let it fill past the half-way mark (which I do not recommend!).  

If I were to always empty before 1/3 full, I'd be emptying far more than just 10 times.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
24/01/2018 2:43 pm  

Hi Eric:

I have a loop ilieostomy and try to empty my pouch when it's half full. I empty immediately on rising in the morning and usually seven to eight times before bed and luckily, I am only up once in the night to empty or not depending on what I ate during the evening. One problem I can't resolve is gas. I always had a lot of it during my life and I guess it just continues on with the ostomy.

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
24/01/2018 2:47 pm  

I try to get it at 1/2 full. Though,  due to negligence,  a bag burst off,  yesterday.  I forgot my priorities. 

Figure it out half of 650ml. is 325 , 10 times is 3250ml. That is between 3 and 4 liters. 

If you do more, you can figure it out. 

Needless to say,  you need to take in at least 100 oz. Of liquor to just stay even.

Food for thought! 

DRINK V8!   :lol: 

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
24/01/2018 2:58 pm  

At half full. I do not like it getting all puffy and noticeable. Empty at least 10-12 times a day . I am only 4 months out so still high output ,watery .

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
25/01/2018 8:12 am  

I usually empty about 8 times per day.  I try not to go over about 1/3 full.  I try to time it while I'm at work, which for the most part works out. I nearly always empty before I get in a vehicle to go anywhere, or before any work that will require me to bend or squat. 

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
25/01/2018 11:10 am  

I try to keep mine emptied at 1/3 and not go over that but sometimes it might get a little more . Eric when watching TV at night yes it might get a little more than it normally would depending on how good the show is ! Lol . But I always empty before going to bed then I am still up 2 to 3 times during the night but we also eat dinner around 7 and in bed by 9 or 10 . Like Sasquatch I always empty before going anywhere . And before doing much bending . Gas is not really a problem for me .

Hey Z , I just have to say 100 oz of liquor a day WOW ! I'm just kidding ya I saw the typo and just had to ras ya a bit . Lol

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
25/01/2018 1:16 pm  

Hi all.  I am a bit over your empting.. but not by much-- so that makes  me feel normal??

This helps me a lot.. thanks.. I empty every time I can when out--or know that I will be in the car for a bit or driving into the hills of no place to go. .but the trees. I think it is important to do this if your out and about shopping etc. And u find the best rest rooms for future adventures.. CVS drug stores are the best!! Dunk 'n donuts, Mc Donalds, if your interested if u get a leak and have to change.. And yes, Robert, Dennys........... :-)

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
25/01/2018 2:19 pm  

Navey, What is a loop ilieostomy? 

As for the above- When I eat a decent breakfast of cherroies, 1/2 banana and a nice glass of O.J. My emptying is like every 3 hours, until-------- the late afternoon???........ Then Nellie is really pushing it!! =liquids.  I do empty about 3 times a night = liquids..  Tee breakfast seems to be the meal of choice--try it. :-) OR just snack on the cherioes (how ever u spell it) helps..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Registered
25/01/2018 6:02 pm  

Ooo! I can answer that one :) A Loop Ilieostomy is where they bring a loop of intestine to the surface and anchor it in place. Then the loop is cut open to create two openings. One is the active stoma emptying the waste. The other leads down to your large intestine. Often these are the types used for temporary ostomies. Oscar started as a Loop.

I empty 8 to 10 times a day, usually at about a cup of output. If I find the bag showing badly through what I am wearing I empty a bit more often to avoid that. 

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
25/01/2018 6:11 pm  

Felicity, Thanks.. Sounds weird tho--must have been a difficult beginning for you!! I cant even picture the pouching procedure!!! 

Thanks for the empty advantage.. and to all of you-- I guess I am of the normal of an ostomy--sure better than the early stages!! Just wish I could absorb the fluids!! :-( but help may be on the way, I hope for me.......time will tell....... I am at my end of my ropes with dehydration!!!!!! 3 1/2 years, I should be better off....... 

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
25/01/2018 6:12 pm  

Marcie and FelicityG 

Thanks FelicityG for answering Marcies question. Unfortunately mine is not temporary as I have no large bowel left, so no reversal for me.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
25/01/2018 6:18 pm  

So u still have the loop jobber????? How do u pouch this?  Going into a single stoma?

Sorry it is not temporary........ We all would have loved that!! 

As Eric says, 
"no colon still rollen" but what an adjustment huh?  

ReplyQuote
Cross
(@cross)
Registered
26/01/2018 9:42 am  

I empty 10 to 12 times a day.  I drink coffee to thin out my waste in morning then early evening which comes out with it and not as urine.  More empties as I try to keep the bag waste down do to bag weight pulls on my stoma as it prolapsed.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
26/01/2018 10:13 am  

Cross, do u drink regular coffee? YEs the weight does pull the bag down and hits the stoma, I think that is where we have or some of us do-feel an irration around the stoma.. So an  earlier change is in progress. :-)  :-(       for me anyways.. I change every 3rd. day. safer, cleaner..

When I drink reg. coffee I do find that it does do a good clean out..   :-0

Bubbles, what is inca?  

Z, and all.. let this not be the black dot !!!!!!!!!  :-)

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Registered
26/01/2018 11:02 am  

Oscar was a little more oval in shape than round so you cut for that sort of shape. Only change has been Oscar is now a more regular circle shape and no longer has a second mouth.

I'm a member of the no colon club too. Can't say I miss it, it caused me so much trouble.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
26/01/2018 2:49 pm  

Stay hydrated Felicity!! Do u drink reg. coffee?  you mentioned that u do drink it.. don't count on that as a fluid..  just enjoyment. IT is also runner!!!!!!  Let me/us know how or if there is a change in the emptying.. No colon makes a big difference. Hopefully, you will not have any trouble.. M.

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Registered
26/01/2018 3:14 pm  

I've not had coffee since my colectomy, I take it with a heap of cream and sugar when I do. I also enjoy "Irish Coffee" with a shot of whiskey in it. Coffee is a stimulant and can make our guts go a bit wild and due to that can make it easier to get dehydrated. I've got a soda habit that has been hard to kick, had it licked for a bit, figures when I'm half dead I could kick it... Caffeine all around is not that good for us, silly monkeys that we are we enjoy getting an energy jolt/ buzz and keep going back for more.

Mmm... Coffee sounds awesome. Maybe next weekend when I'm not working I'll test Oscar on it and see how he does.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
26/01/2018 4:10 pm  

Oh yes, the Irish coffee..... :-)  honestly, do these try outs on weekends.  I do enjoy my coffee and an Irish coffee-but only when I am going to infusion the next day.. Which is all the time!! :-( YEs the dehydration is the problem of such-- So summer time is not good for cokes and coffee.. sugars.......  But a treat is always nice.....  Then watch out for the out puts.. Then more changing of the pouch.. As long that we aware of what may be ahead..  Not like the old life huh? how r u feeling?  go to lounge.. hope to see yo there my friend.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register