"Toxic" feeling?

7 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
medicjay
(@medicjay)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the help I have received from reading a lot of the topics I have found here. I just wish I would have done more research before surgery, but hindsight...

I am wondering if the feeling I have is unique or not? I have had an ileostomy for almost 2 years. I also had my gallbladder removed in 2014 so I have discharge pretty much 24/7. So this makes it difficult to change my appliance and not get any on me (although the marshmallow trick is great!). So, I nearly always have some liquid running down burning my skin. If I have a particularly bad change I feel as though I have been poisoned for a couple days afterwards. Is this common?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can help me with! 

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey medicjay.

I can't say I've had that feeling because of a bad appliance change, but I can say that an overly active stoma can be quite frustrating to manage when you're trying to change your appliance.

What's worked for me is to wrap my stoma with a 4x4 gauze pad (not toilet paper or it will stick) and that absorbs any liquids well enough for me to continue with the appliance change. I've heard of some people using female menstrual pads for the same purpose  but gauze pads are cheap and my insurance covers them! ?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony, LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

What I do is--take the empty toilet roll casing (card board part) stuff it with paper tissue- place this over stoma-in case the stoma starts to blow a fuse..this catches it very well !! Therefore, I am not rubbing at the skin all that much. Also, this lets "air dry" the skin from the barrier.  Major help to me!! Wont change my pouching system without this trick--AS ALWAYS--MAKE SURE U HAVE THINGS READY BEFORE HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Interesting Marcie...Menstrual pads Eric? I am one that uses TP, I use "three" ply and do not have many issues with it sticking much at all, but it does happen sometimes. I take 3 squares and fold in half and then kitty corner, from there wrap I it around my stoma with the points out. I can tuck a small piece under the edge close to my skin to keep it there.

Medicjay...This poisoned feeling you have is cause for concern. Make sure you tell any doctor you see about it and anyone who will listen, hopefully he will refer you somewhere that can help. For instance, an allergist or an internist.  Please start keeping a journal about what you use, when, how much, as well as eat and drink. A few facts...drinking too much can mess with your system and cause its own issues, maybe this is why your guts are always running. Being dehydrated can really make you sick also. Are you maybe drinking too many fluids? Keep track of it and how soon your guts start kicking into action after anything passes your lips. I can drink water in the morning and immediately my guts gurgle and start running. As you know, a bag change can be impossible with this going on. Allergies can do all sorts of things to you, are you using something you  may be allergic to that you are not sure about yet or getting something on your stoma that is absorbing into your system and harming you? Not for internal use...means not for internal use, or on stoma either, if swallowed by accident, call the poison control center, check your labels.  Has this been going on since you had your surgery or is it a new symptom? Because things go so much faster through us and sometimes in large amounts (at least mine does) it can really mess with the vitamins and minerals your body may or may not be able to absorb. For instance, Potassium. Once lost never rebuilds, then it is a prescription form for the rest of your life. I would recommend that you keep two  journals and write down what you eat, drink, and when you drink also, and times approximate amounts and then also a poop journal, too thin, thick and colour even, how much how often. Pour water in a new bag and measure it by cups, so you have an idea of amount. Water a plant with it and stuff a small cloth in it to let it sit to dry, then use it later.  To save time and writing make a graph of your own. Numbers 1,2,3, from bad to worse and horrid sort of thing. Keep a chart or graph on a recipe card and have it handy to refer to. Write down the products you use for change day and how much, and then time how and when you start to feel horrid again and how long and severity of it. Does it ever really leave you or does it stay partially, or have you just managed to get by feeling awful because your sort of used to it? This almost sounds like too many fluids or an allergy of some kind. Could you be allergic to the plastic of the pouch? Material or not it can get to your skin in a round about way. A certain food you may not have reacted to before, could it be causing an issue now. This is where the journal will come in handy but you have to be as diligent  as possible about writing things down.  I would encourage you to see your GP if you have not already and ask really nice and with all due respect if he might refer you to an allergist or an internist tell him this is scary to live like this. Just because you may be feeling reasonably fine the day you see him, I would suggest that you exaggerate when you are there as if it were your worst day. To clarify this is not the advice of Eric or his site. It seems that if we are okay the day of, we don't say anything about in the office while there and kick ourselves later for not speaking about it. I have been in agony, gone to church or a visit with a friend and they have no clue the amount of pain I am in, I smile and laugh thru it and have been in surgery that evening. Please go and see your doctor and get the ball rolling if you have not already. Take your journals along and beg for his help if you have to. I am sorry this is long, but you do need to get some help. Many years back, I had a horrid case of Cryptosporidium. The doctor who tested me never told the test results and I forgot to ask. I was really to sick to care. A year later , I found out, in the second year of it, from a health officer in the town three hours away from us. She was mortified and called an ambulance and gave them all sorts of orders. I was less then skin and bones and my heart was being affected, I did not care if I lived or died anymore. I never went back to the doctor after I was tested for it. I assumed that he would call me if it was positive as they tell us they will. I found out a year later that I had it from a stranger in a business office. I was hospitalized, and put on a course IV Fluids and one year of  various antibiotics to get started.  After a week I was sent home to bed rest only. When I started to feel better I could not sit still.  It took three years after diagnoses to recover. Five years of my life for a critter. So, as you can see it is up to us to make sure we are looked after. Take notes of when tests are done, what they were for, and the results.  You have a right to know all of it. You have the right to feel the best you can feel. Please let us know what comes of this. I know I certainly want to see how you are doing and what is being done for you. If you have one of those fancy phones, record every single appointment. At home fill it into your book. You should let the doctor know you are doing so. Just voices, nothing more, say it is for your own information or for your spouse who can't be there. I hope things turn out very well for you. Also, never throw the books out. Your grands may enjoy them one day and you may encourage them thru them also.

Be well and keep in touch here....Linda 

Linda

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Marcie...So, you still have to go for infusions?  My doctor prescribes a Potassium capsule that is covered by medical that I can take for the deficiency. 

Please see a PM I sent you regarding "re-living it not being healthy.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Linda, this advise is for me and others that r changing to a new clean pouch.  I am among  many (maybe not u) that have a wild active stoma.  This idea of mine came by a mistake-- there was a toilet roll empty- on my changing area and Nellie got active-  I grabbed it - proceeded as the above- and I found that I did NOT have to wipe MY TENDER SKIN and make it worse with all that acid. My skin was very happy and NOT sore when or after I applied my barrier. it catches it all-- thank God !! 

you need an opening of such for the squirting affect that the stoma puts ot.  tissue inside I added afterwards.  works for me.

Linda, I lost my potissum 5 years ago in the hospital after 7 months in the ICU ect.  I had IV treatments of this-- and have not had an issue from then on------------  I get blood work done weekly--as I go to infusion 3 x wk. for fluids..  DOING GREAT !!! I am not worried. and I was a sick puppy and came out of it.. when one does not/cant drink or eat for 7 months-- I responded very well  on this subject. - not going to write a long journal here--as Eric wants to keep thing short.. but that is it in a nut shell - I have gone forward !! 

Linda, I am very dehydrated. Just one of those that have this issue. not many get this way--I am in deep hope that this will turn around in time-- then I can be a normal ostomate. As a this would be a dream come true.. if not? then I deal with it. I was very sick. We all r sick when we receive a stoma. Many adjustments.

I send my best to those that r suffering with these adjustments. But, my friends, you al will cope well and be surprised of yourself worth-not only to you but to others.. Look ahead. There is a life. Grab that can and go for it!!!!!!!!!

did not get  the p.m. but I thank you for your efforts here. A bit long.. so don't read the full amounts. So, maybe missed a lot  I am pleased that u came forward within yourself of understanding of others here. 

We all have been through much--some r slower to cope (such as I) but we get there.  I am most deeply thankful of this blog to help me to understand that I AM A PERSON and always will be again. I did loose myself for a bit as most here. But we do arrive within time. God Bless Us!!  

Linda, also, cryptopordum is contracted to the fighting men who cant use proper toilet area.  This has been found far to many times from war veterans and rather a decent write up--for a bit.  Yes it goes un-noticed by many Doctors. As you were never told of yours..TOTAL WRONG !! SHAME ON THOSE DOCTORS !! One wonders how they could  let this go by as you and others can affect so many others. It can sit for  a long period of time before giving someone problems. Then as you stated, a long haul of wellness. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Linda, yes, I am very dehydrated--But I don't want to go into this much as I am afraid that new ostomates will think they will be also--Just a small handful r like me. IT is confining-but at least I get the  needed fluids weekly. Just another adjustment to make and go forward with hope that thing will turn around. 

As our new bodies proceed into wellness, we find our own way of coping with our own diets and what makes us tick.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday-another issue in the digestive area.. yes, I am confused again--- but another learning of my body and what it can and cannot take.  Been about 5 years.. And I am once again with the new members, seeing how healthy I was then sick-o.  

So, I along with the new members r  in for a new area of accepting's. BUT WE CAN DO IT !!! RIGHT GANG ??????? 

ReplyQuote