Notifications
Clear all

Embarressed ????

5 Posts
4 Users
10 Likes
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Hi All, Any new ostomate or indeed any of us may have a problem or question that we are shy about, How many folk suffer for long periods with ailments for a long time before seeking help. especially when body fluids are involved. but that fact is I don,t think any one could post a question that somebody has not been through. so no one be shy describe it in the best way you can. I aint seen a question that didn,t get an answer that didn,t get help or one that the Boss (Eric) couldn,t help with. Plus having an ostomy is just not a stoma it effects all parts of life ie work, relationships etc.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, Tony H and VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

So true, John.

I feel this is more of an issue for men as we tend to let things slide for way too long before they are addressed. 

No question is "stupid" and no story is too embarrassing to share with friends :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)
Topic starter  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

So true, John.

I feel this is more of an issue for men as we tend to let things slide for way too long before they are addressed. 

Yep men are the worst, I hid my problem for months before it got so bad I had no choice but seek help, I also remember you posting a photo of yerself at a conference and you and another guy where the only 2 advocates amongst 6 other ladies.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ileo_chopper)

i do not get embarrassed easily... but im stubborn... which is almost worse because i just deal with it and put things ahead of for example changing my appliance when i feel it burn but nopw instead ill work threw it for a couple days. then i get mad at myself when i change my appliance becuase my skin is in rough shape... its my own fault.  dont feel embarrassed theres is no need there are plenty of people out there going threw the similar situations adapting and thriving!! if some makes you feel that way your not the one with the problem!  

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

You boys aren't the only ones who hide things due to embarrassment. I was both embarrassed and scared of hearing what might be wrong, that I probably made things worse by ignoring it until it was so bad that I ended up with an ileostomy before I even knew I had Crohn's. I'm trying to take that as a lesson learned with my doctors, at least. There are still things that are embarrassing for me with friends and even on here, but a lot of it I am finding reading through old topics. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote