Community Forums

Embarrassing question  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
February 24, 2018 8:28 pm  

Since this is the place to find help with anything, I am going to ask my embarassing question.  I am now into ostomate life 13 months.  I have a rectal stump left from surgery and i have had nothing but bad pain from it for the entire time.  Today I started having some kind of discharge from my anus.  It is a white cloudy liquid that is heavier than water  (It lays at the bottom of the toilet bowl.  It comes often and makes me feel lik e it is an emergency to get to the bathroom...much like it used to be with diareah  (sp?).  Has anyone else had this problem and is it serious? Thanks

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 24, 2018 9:18 pm  

Call your doctor. 

Don't go to Emergency room,  they are having flu problems. Try Urgent care . (Big city USA). 

My memory tells me to try a hot soaking bath. Don't know if you want to trust my memory. 

Talk to your local experts. 

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
February 24, 2018 9:45 pm  

Thanks Zvitusk. That's what I was afraid answers were going to be. 😓

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 24, 2018 10:01 pm  

Sounds like you'e d mucus, which is very common when you have a rectal stump. You may also feel some urgency to use the bathroom and that's normal too.

You should make an appointment with your doctor or nurse just to confirm that's what's going on. Since you've had other health challenges, it is better to be cautious. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
February 24, 2018 10:53 pm  

Thanks Eric,  between you and "Z" I am convinced, calling the doc first thing. Monday morning.  It has just been so strange after 13 months of nothing there but pain.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 25, 2018 1:01 am  

The pain may or may not be associated with mucus discharge, but I know I went through that (minus all the pain) when I had a rectal stump. 

Best of luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
February 25, 2018 3:14 am  

Hi Barbara,  I have been an ostomate for 2 years and have always had a discharge from my rectum. It is not painful but there the same sensation that used to occur when eliminating normally. I have noticed that the amount of mucus increases with output increases.  Both my doctor and WOC nurse assured me that it is normal. They also advised me to cleanse by flushing with water.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
February 25, 2018 7:08 am  

Hey Barbara I have a stump and I have this as well , I take a pentasa suppository to keep the inflammation down because just because your colon is gone you can still flare in the remaining stump , its just part and parcel of the disease and I am more or less used to it at this stage , some people seem to get it and others don't , you are not alone .

Robert and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
February 25, 2018 12:48 pm  

Good Morning Barbara

I agree with everybody . I too have a stump and been 17 months for me and I also have what I call discharge probably twice a week or so . Not real urgent I can control it but do get the feeling sometimes I get blood with it . Mine is more of a brownish mush looking type . Doc has me on suppositories too . But like everybody else is saying best to see you're doc and see what they say .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 25, 2018 1:04 pm  

Hi Barbara,

YES! Same for me.. a bit of mucus like discharge now and then. small amounts. I asked my Dr and she said thats normal.

BUT! Since you are having pain, and like everyone has said , we are not medical doctors, you should have it checked out. Probably not urgent care though.

Good luck. And try not to fret about it.  I think its probably all part of the process.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 4:47 pm  

Barb, I had this for some time.. Still have rectum.. no pain, but I did/do get the over flow-sometimes, normal, It slows down after while-don't forget where you have been.. YOUR still healing..  I know you want the Dr, to remove this yesterday.. but get well first, then tackle this next surgery that you want.. I wear a pantie liner.. lets me know whats going on.. unless my cheeks are stuck together.. :-) 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 4:49 pm  

Why is everyone calling this a STUMP ??  Is the rectum hanging out? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 27, 2018 5:07 pm  

Marcie, why keeping asking the same question when this has been answered before for you

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Winterblue and Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
February 27, 2018 5:36 pm  

Barb this is normal . Don't panic. Try to sit on toilet and relax your rectum and lightly bear down and release the fluid . You can do this daily so it does  not build up . If you go a few day without emptying You start to feel pressure.  I have to empty every 3-4 days . Everyone is different but it's normal to empty daily if needed . 

Be well , Bubbles 

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 27, 2018 7:40 pm  

Sorry guys,

I call my tuchus Ken since it is not there anymore . So I have no experience or knowledge worth sharing. So long as NED is happy,  I am a lucky fellow.

Got to "sit" this one out.

Z

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Ann C
(@ann-c)
Registered
February 28, 2018 6:28 pm  

May I add a related embarrassing question? I still have my rectum but I DON'T pass much mucus. I've had my ostomy since June and have only "passed" stuff twice but it was pretty firm and brown-looking (sorry to be so graphic). Should I be concerned that I don't normally pass mucus? I occasionally have that feeling that I need to "go to the bathroom" but only a few times a week. Maybe my rectum just isn't working anymore? 

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
February 28, 2018 6:55 pm  

What's a rectal stump?  I no longer have a rectum. The pain from stitches just cleared up after 3 months.  Terrible when you had to sit. But doing good.  I've had no drainage issues yet. I love this Forum. I was a floundering Ducky. My confidence has come back, of course sense of humor helps. 

kenf11, Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 28, 2018 7:07 pm  

Hi Kerby, the stump is what is left when only the colon is removed. some times a patient is to weak for it to be taken or it will be done some time later. Some ostomates can still keep it for years but it needs to be reviewed and an eye kept on.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
February 28, 2018 7:32 pm  

Awwww... OK, thanks. 

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 28, 2018 7:35 pm  

Thats right. Often they leave the rectal stump like John said above when they do a colectomy. It is a much more involved and difficult surgery to do both at the same time. Thats what my doctors told me, anyway. Leaving a part of the rectum intact , the stump, also helps to support the pelvic area inside you ( they called it the pelvic floor). Whatever is left of it anyway!  I think I have about five inches or so left in there.

I have a flex sig every year to be checked for any abnormalities like cancer or continued inflammation or ulcerations. So far so good.  They have just found some dismorpholgy.. things change shape down there.  But, I think we are all at greater risk, so they like to check it out.

And, I must say, I like to get it checked out. I didn't go through all this just to get sick again.

Also... you don't have to drink all that horrible bowel prep.

( Just fasting, since they do it under anesthesia).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register