Blockages and NG tubes  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 7, 2017 4:08 pm  

had no problems with the k-pouch itself, but had many episodes of obstructions due to adhesions/scar tissue.

the above is from Bluesgal's post of Today on the J pouchK pouch BCI thread. ( thanks Bluesgal) 

So, I guess blockages can also be caused by adhesions and scar tissue.This would be in addition to food blockages and hernias . Are there other causes? I am also guessing that the ones from scaring might take longer to develop. Is that right?

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2017 4:22 pm  
Posted by: Dona

So, I guess blockages can also be caused by adhesions and scar tissue.This would be in addition to food blockages and hernias . Are there other causes? I am also guessing that the ones from scaring might take longer to develop. Is that right?   

Those, in addition to hernias, structures, motility disorder. Many reasons! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 7, 2017 4:57 pm  

Too bad! But thats good information to have. Thanks.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
May 7, 2017 6:31 pm  

Scar tissue begins to form immediately after surgery, just like having a cut on your finger starts to heal right away and then forms a scar within weeks of the initial cut. So obstructions (which can be caused by the intestine getting trapped in the spider-like webbing of scar tissue and kinking like a garden hose; or the intestine  getting pinched off because it gets "stuck" to other bowel loops or abdominal wall) can happen soon after surgery or many years later. The intestine is always moving around inside of you so there is no way to predict the likelyhood of an obstruction. That's also why obstructions sometimes "resolve" themselves on their own - it's trapped in the web of scar, then as it moves around, it somehow frees itself from the area. I've had 9 obstructions which resolved themselves within 12 hours of onset and 3 which required hospitalization. Of those 3, only 1 required surgery to locate the blockage, cut it out, and resection the bowel. My first obstruction ocurred only 1 year after my initial surgery, and I had symptoms beginning only 6 months after; at that time, I didn't even know what an obstruction was or that it was even possible. Of course, not everyone has troubles, so it's best to try not to stress over it as it's completely out of your control. Hahaha! so I advise, as I pop  another tranquilizer!

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 7, 2017 8:06 pm  

I haven't had an obstruction (that I'm aware of) and certainly don't want to. Do obstructions happen more with Iliostomates? Are symptoms always severe? How do you know you have one, and what should you do to deal with it?

Sorry. I know nothing about a lot of things I think I should know. I was never warned of blockages, hernia's or prolapse. 

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
May 7, 2017 8:16 pm  

It tends to be that some people are unlucky and prone to them and others aren't.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2017 8:21 pm  
Posted by: Kae

Do obstructions happen more with Iliostomates? Are symptoms always severe? How do you know you have one, and what should you do to deal with it? 

Yes, more common for ileostomates. 

Partial blockages are uncomfortable : pain behind the stoma, cramping, changes in output, etc. 

Full blockages can be really painful and lead to vomiting. If it gets to that point then you've waited to long to seek help. 

Symptoms will vary from person to person, but those are common symptoms of a blockage. 

Dealing with them, assuming it's caused by food, can include things like messaging around the stoma, removing your appliance, taking a warm bath, etc. I find massaging the stoma works well, but only if the problem is close to stoma exit. 

More info. 

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
May 7, 2017 9:51 pm  

"Partial blockages are uncomfortable : pain behind the stoma, cramping, changes in output, etc. 

Full blockages can be really painful and lead to vomiting. If it gets to that point then you've waited to long to seek help. "

Addendum to what Eric said above:

Partial blockages can also cause buildup of gas so you get cramping gas pains, lots of grumbling and sloshing sounds.

Full obstruction: constant pain in the center of the belly, overlaid with waves of cramping pains across the gut, nausea, vomiting, no output to pouch, some people also report some bleeding into the pouch (I never experienced this). Do not drink or eat anything if you suspect a full blockage. According to my docs: maximum time to wait before going to ER is 12 hours if you are not vomiting and/or the pain isn't intolerable. If pain is severe and/or you start vomiting, ER time. If you suspect a full blockage, I wouldn't even wait the 12 hours because you are increasing the chances of dehydration.

Kae - You might consider speaking to your doctor to get his/her advice on symptoms and developing an action plan which, hopefully, you will never have to implement. It may help to put your mind to rest if you have a plan based on the recommendations and experience of your own doctor.

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
May 8, 2017 11:37 am  

This is really scaring me. I have never been given any information about blockages or hernias after surgery. Other than the general basic - contact your dr if there's pain or no output into bag. I had my ileostomy surgery over two years ago and think I may have a hernia  I have a lot of anxiety about hospitals etc. you'd think it would improve after many years of multiple visits and surgeries but it has actually increased. 

I get so much information, support and help from websites and forums but also fear. Any advice on how to continue being involved in the community for the help and support without causing more anxiety?  I don't know if that makes sense or if anyone else struggles with this. 

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 8, 2017 11:43 am  
Posted by: Jattzl

Any advice on how to continue being involved in the community for the help and support without causing more anxiety?  I don't know if that makes sense or if anyone else struggles with this.

This is a very common problem. I went through the same early in my Crohn's diagnosis. 

It's  really important to remember that many people come to forums to find solutions to a problem they are having, so the problems take up the bulk of the topics. 

Also, remember that no all problems are shared - many times these are individuals who have other health conditions and the issues you see being brought up may be related to those.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
May 8, 2017 11:49 am  

This is really scaring me. I have never been given any information about blockages or hernias after surgery. 

Please don't worry. With blockages it tends to be that some people are unlucky and prone to them, and others aren't. The fact that you have never had a blockage is a sign that you are probably one of those lucky ones that won't suffer from them.

Hernias are something that you should be aware of, but there are some simple precautions that you can take. Things like holding your tummy tight when you sneeze, wearing abdominal support if you are planning to do something really strenuous and trying not to have too much tummy fat.

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
May 8, 2017 12:09 pm  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

Any advice on how to continue being involved in the community for the help and support without causing more anxiety?  I don't know if that makes sense or if anyone else struggles with this.

This is a very common problem. I went through the same early in my Crohn's diagnosis. 

Thank you, Eric. It helps just to know others experience the same feelings. 

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
May 8, 2017 12:15 pm  

thank you Sarah. That is comforting. I live a lone and anything that needs to be done is pretty much up to me. I think that's why I have what I assume is a hernia from lifting and doing heavy thing that I knew were too much for me. I will take your advice!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register