Clear all

Does coffee affect your ostomy?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 3, 2020 6:23 am  

Hi Braveness 23, Welcome to the forum. It’s strange how certain food and drinks have different effects on some and not others. If you can manage to enjoy your coffee and sort out the effects great job. I wonder if you weren’t taking it so strong would that help 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 3, 2020 11:53 am  
Posted by: @braveness23

But drinking almost any amount of coffee is like pouring Drano down the pipes.  It comes through me in just a matter of minutes as very dark liquid output. 

That must be frustrating if you love coffee! Out of curiosity, does this happen with all types of coffee? Does it happen with decaf? 

Does this happen when you drink any other specific liquids that you are aware of? 

ReplyQuote
braveness23
(@braveness23)
Registered
June 5, 2020 7:09 pm  

@veganostomy  It's really not that bad.  I frequently have watery or liquid output so I've just gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me too much.  I've always figured I was kind of a hyper-digester.  This problem isn't new with the ostomy, I've had liquid output for decades.  30+ years of Crohn's scar tissue?  Dunno

ReplyQuote
DutchOzzie
(@dutchozzie)
Registered
June 7, 2020 8:35 pm  

In my experience there is another variable to take into account. In love my my coffee and usually have 3 in the morning. For me the link between output consistency and drinking (non-alcoholic I mean ;-) ) is more around timing. When I drink while eating or shortly after (for example coffee after breakfast) the output becomes very liquidly. As long as I separate food from liquids by 45min - 1h the output has good consistency. When I drink coffee or water while eating the output goes very liquidly. 

Any others with a similar experience?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 10, 2020 11:41 am  
Posted by: @dutchozzie

When I drink while eating or shortly after (for example coffee after breakfast) the output becomes very liquidly. As long as I separate food from liquids by 45min - 1h the output has good consistency.

I know that's often the conventional suggestion to thicken output (drink with meals), but this could be variable from person to person. 

I've experimented with this and will consume way more water than normal during meals with no change in output. Even when I drink all day, to the point of excess (like, I urinate all day!), my output remains pretty consistent with the foods I've eaten. 

But... a cup of prune juice or a spinach salad instantly sets off liquid output. :-D 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
June 15, 2020 3:41 pm  

I have no problems.  It even makes my output smell like coffee.  :)

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 15, 2020 5:46 pm  

Perish the thought if I had to give up coffee! I only allow myself two cups a day, but I really enjoy those "vices" in my life (that and one oz. of dark chocolate). Fortunately, it does not affect my output!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Nldnrs
(@nldnrs)
Registered
June 22, 2020 7:29 pm  

Coffee, whether it has caffeine or not, may stimulate a bowel movement or ostomy output though the effect seems to be more pronounced with regular coffee. However, decaf may have more of a stimulatory effect than plain water. Coffee contains a host of chemicals in that may also contribute to stimulating stool namely chlorogenic acid and N-alkanoyl-5-hydroxytryptamide which is similar chemically to serotonin. 

Similarly, there is the gastrocolic reflex, where the colon has increased motility in response to the stretching of the stomach when food or liquid is ingested. 

The effects of both will vary among individuals but seems to be most sensitive in the morning. 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 23, 2020 8:47 am  

Coffee is also used in Gerson therapy (Although not in the way you guys Drink it) to stimulate the function of the Liver. hormone, enzyme and blood cleansing.

I think here we're talking about proper ground coffee percolated and not those capsules of coloured water, the coffee equivalent of printer inks- a little for a lot of bucks :roll: 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2