Community Forums

Does coffee affect your ostomy?  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 11, 2018 2:22 pm  

I know that many people have difficulty when it comes to drinking coffee and having fast, liquid bowel movements that make managing their ostomy more difficult. 

I've never been a coffee drinker until we got our hands on a Keurig machine and an espresso maker that takes pods. Now, I can drink it all day if I want (I'm still a bigger fan of tea!).

But I noticed that it has no effect on my output at all - doesn't matter if I drink it black, drink multiple cups at a time, drink a stronger variety, or drink it quickly. 

Part of me is glad, but another part of me was hoping that I could use coffee to "clear the pipes" when needed since I don't usually stock prune juice. 

What has your experience with coffee been? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 11, 2018 2:50 pm  

Hi All, I Have never had any trouble with coffee, not a drinker of it all the time but most of my friends are so when visiting I can have 2/3 cups in a row and no effect! in fact I never knew it could cause any trouble until I joined the site.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 11, 2018 4:03 pm  

No problem here either. Drink coffee  in the morning then switch to tea.

Always water water water all day.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 11, 2018 4:21 pm  

Coffee doesn't do anything to my output, it used to mess with my UC sometimes though.  I was really glad I could go back to it after I had surgery.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, procolectomy TBD.

ReplyQuote
Bago
 Bago
(@bago)
Registered
July 12, 2018 7:10 am  

I drink a couple of cups of black coffee in the morning and the only effect is that my output is darker coffee color for a while. No change in the liquidity.  I drink tea at dinner with no effect.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 12, 2018 10:25 am  

Wow! So, now I'm wondering if people who experience problems with coffee have always experienced it (i.e. before their ostomy) or whether it's is just a myth that coffee will speed up output.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 12, 2018 11:01 am  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

Part of me is glad, but another part of me was hoping that I could use coffee to "clear the pipes" when needed since I don't usually stock prune juice. 

What has your experience with coffee been? 

Hi Eric, "coffee been" was that a pun or accidental lol. could some of the coffee problems speeding up output be caused by some of milky coffees and may be a lactose problem

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 12, 2018 11:59 am  

haha! Unintentional pun! 

I was thinking about lactose intolerance as maybe having something to do with it. It would make sense. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register