Does coffee affect your ostomy?

30 Posts
17 Users
26 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I know that many people have difficulty when it comes to drinking coffee and having fast, liquid bowel movements that make managing their ostomy more difficult. 

I've never been a coffee drinker until we got our hands on a Keurig machine and an espresso maker that takes pods. Now, I can drink it all day if I want (I'm still a bigger fan of tea!).

But I noticed that it has no effect on my output at all - doesn't matter if I drink it black, drink multiple cups at a time, drink a stronger variety, or drink it quickly. 

Part of me is glad, but another part of me was hoping that I could use coffee to "clear the pipes" when needed since I don't usually stock prune juice. 

What has your experience with coffee been? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@john68)

Hi All, I Have never had any trouble with coffee, not a drinker of it all the time but most of my friends are so when visiting I can have 2/3 cups in a row and no effect! in fact I never knew it could cause any trouble until I joined the site.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

No problem here either. Drink coffee  in the morning then switch to tea.

Always water water water all day.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

Coffee doesn't do anything to my output, it used to mess with my UC sometimes though.  I was really glad I could go back to it after I had surgery.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)

I drink a couple of cups of black coffee in the morning and the only effect is that my output is darker coffee color for a while. No change in the liquidity.  I drink tea at dinner with no effect.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Wow! So, now I'm wondering if people who experience problems with coffee have always experienced it (i.e. before their ostomy) or whether it's is just a myth that coffee will speed up output.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Posted by: VeganOstomy

Part of me is glad, but another part of me was hoping that I could use coffee to "clear the pipes" when needed since I don't usually stock prune juice. 

What has your experience with coffee been? 

Hi Eric, "coffee been" was that a pun or accidental lol. could some of the coffee problems speeding up output be caused by some of milky coffees and may be a lactose problem

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

haha! Unintentional pun! 

I was thinking about lactose intolerance as maybe having something to do with it. It would make sense. 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Eric,

I just came upon this forum question. Coffee doesn't seem to affect my output, but if I drink more than one cup, my hands shake like crazy. I do drink decaf in the evenings when it is cooler or when I have a chocolate dessert!

Stella 

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for sharing that, Stella. I'm really starting to wonder if this really is a myth! ??

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stellajames942)

I dont think so its true, I never face any issue 

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

I don’t drink coffee, but every once in a great while, I treat myself to a white mocha from Starbucks. Those go almost instantly into my bag. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @squeakyandliza

I treat myself to a white mocha from Starbucks. Those go almost instantly into my bag. 

Now, is it the coffee or something else they added (i.e. sugar) that causes this effect?

That is, of course, a question to be asked if regular coffee does NOT affect you. 

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

No problems like that with coffee for me either, and I like mine pretty strong. I'd suck it dry if I could. Okay, no I wouldn't, but I grew up on Bostelo, and that stuff could power a car. I haven't tried flavored coffees since my surgery because those have always bothered me and I'm sure would still do so.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @veganostomy

Now, is it the coffee or something else they added (i.e. sugar) that causes this effect?

I imagine it is the milk and white chocolate syrup, for sure.  I don't drink regular coffee, so can't say definitively, but it makes sense.

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

@veganostomy

Starbucks????????  that is doubled and trippled roasted..  tastes like acidy-- it is NOT good for us ostomates..  I have 1 cup of decaf coffee--(or reg. at home-- ) 6 Oz. no milk-just 1-2- sugars.. at infusion. a treat for me--at that place.  no issues.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@uctoostomy)

Why would Dark Roast be bad for us ostomates??  I drink Kicking  Horse dark roast all the time without issues.  We have Starbucks Pike Place Medium Roast at work but I only drink it out of necessity.   Coffee is my new best friend :)

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I too have absolutely no issues with coffee. I drink a couple of large cups every morning. Good thing too! I would miss it.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @uctoostomy

drink Kicking  Horse dark roast

That's been my wife's favorite for some time, but we switched to a house brand of beans because it was more economical, but none have been problematic. 

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
braveness23
(@braveness23)

I'm absolutely astonished to read so many people saying that they have zero problems with coffee.  I am a coffee addict and have been my whole life.  I like it as strong as I can get it.  But drinking almost any amount of coffee is like pouring Drano down the pipes.  It comes through me in just a matter of minutes as very dark liquid output.  It doesn't stop me from having two cups a day, it just means I need to manage where I am going to be afterwards.  This phenomena occurs regardless of whether I put dairy in my coffee.  I frequently use coffee as a way to purge my bowels as someone mentioned above.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2