Notifications
Clear all

The Great Shiny bag Surface Mystery  

RSS

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 5, 2020 4:41 pm  

I recall months ago I suggested the shiny surface on bags can not be removed by alcohols. and applying a chemical that does degrade the plastic,  a very bad idea.  decomposition of the bag currently being worn would promote failures, i.e holes or tears.

LK has commented on the hard work required to remove this shiny surface and how alcohol is the mechanism for this removal.

while the alcohol is good removing oils, in fact,  it acts as a lubricant for the material being used, paper towel, cloth, toilet paper.  thus LK works very hard to remove the shiny surface.

I've found  dry paper towel removes the shine with much less  effort, and a 600 grit sand paper or an emery cloth/paper is very easy and requires only very light pressure. the shine removal is an abrasive action, not a chemical action.

(Moderator edit)

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 5, 2020 6:26 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

LK has commented on the hard work required to remove this shiny surface and how alcohol is the mechanism for this removal.

Just to clarify, it wasn't LK's idea to use alcohol to clean the surface of the bag, but the manufacturer of the EZ-Vents:

Originally, the written instructions said to run until the shine was gone, which was a LOT of work but unnecessary. 

Posted by: @dogtalkerer

I've found  dry paper towel removes the shine with much less  effort, and a 600 grit sand paper or an emery cloth/paper is very easy and requires only very light pressure. the shine removal is an abrasive action, not a chemical action.

This certainly sounds like a much easier way of doing it!

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 8, 2020 3:35 pm  

Hey LK,  just read your comment.  I do not think I said the shine won't come off, thats totally absurd.   but I probably said alcohol does not remove the shine chemically.  by your own instructions,   you are obviously using abrasion to remove the shine.  

ReplyQuote