Clear all

Just checking in  

RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 6, 2020 4:00 pm  

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd check in. I promise you, I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I've been pretty darn busy, though. Despite our stay at home order here in VT, I have more than enough to keep me busy. I've been making toys for sale, keeping house and been doing a great deal of clearing around our property.

Each year I declare war on errant blackberry and raspberry bushes as well as small trees that insist on growing where I don't want them. It is a losing battle but I am a glutton for punishment! My main goal is to finish up before the black flies and deer flies come out- which they will be out in full force in a week or two. I think I have done about as much as I can do for now, and hopefully will begin working in my flower gardens and veggie patch. 

I hope all of you have been well and are finding ways to cope with the challenges that we are all experiencing concerning the covid virus. Meanwhile, take care and God bless.

Stella

LK, VeganOstomy, SqueakyandLiza and 2 people liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 6, 2020 8:48 pm  

Hi Stella,

Glad you are doing well. I have been keeping busy, too, around the house - and actually sorted through some “stuff” which I have been intending to do for awhile. Last night I was really wishing for something sweet and in sorting my sewing stash found two little single-size bags of trail mix with cranberries  and cashews that my mother gave me for Christmas! Who know what I will find next!

And I bought two nice semi-transparent plastic bins for my ostomy supplies, which are now much neater, organized, and easier to access. I had been keeping them in cardboard boxes, on the floor and shelf of the bathroom closet. Now they are tucked into a corner of the bedroom closet (what I will need in the next few days is in another, small semi-transparent box on a shelf in the bathroom closet). This is so much better!

And last week we got a new sump pump in the basement! 🎉

LL

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
May 6, 2020 9:29 pm  

Stella and LL,

I’m glad you are both doing well and finding fun ways to stay busy. 

I also organized my ostomy supplies. I order a rack that normally is made to go over the toilet. Mine is over the hamper in our second bathroom. I also ordered some cute boxes and baskets for the smaller supplies to sit on the shelves. 

My other project is quilting. We had our newest nephew born when I was sick just before my surgery in 2018 and my hubby reminded me I hadn’t made his baby quilt yet. I have made them for all our other nieces and nephews. So I ordered fabric the other day. I should hopefully get it done by his second birthday at the end of the month. 

I made the quilt on our bed, but it is getting threadbare so I am also working on a new quilt for our bed. This one will probably take a lot longer. We are also planning on upgrading to a king bed in the next few years when we finally get around to doing some work on our house. So, I’m making the new quilt a king sized one. I’m excited about the pattern. I saw a sample of it at a quilt shop and really liked it. It is almost like an optical illusion, so I hope mine turns out that well. 😂

I hope everyone out there in ostomyland is doing well. 😀

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 12, 2020 7:47 am  

Hi there..  I may be a tad late to Join in but this is the best part of VO. We can always catch up when things don't workout at the time someone has posted something here! Thank you Eric for this priveledge! 

I have had eye issues again and had been looking forward to my eye apt. that was booked 6 mths. prior to CO19, only to have it cancelled. The  ongoing issues include a fair deal of burning and sensitivity to light of any kind.  I have turned the brightness level down as far as I can go on any screen but my eyes tire easily and rebel anyways. 

When they cooperate, I too have been doing yard work galore! I love being active outside and I also removed a tree out front that was way over due!  I replanted a bunch of Violas, (like a Pansey only smaller) that my landscaper son thought had died two years ago and thinking he was helping me, removed the Perennial flowers and tossed them. There was no rescuing any of them as yard waste pickup had already been around!  

The home school gardening I had been teaching the older Grands in my basement suite got planted outside and most are doing very well. My tomatoes can go into large pots outside safely from frost this weekend. The soil out back, in our four step up garden needs revitalizing something fierce so we only used one row this year. Next year, this is going to be a big project! We will get the compost going and add that to the soil as well as new soil next year, but in the mean time what can be grown in pots  is going to be grown in pots! 

I am finishing  crafts I wanted to start two years ago at the start of my anemia issues, as well as trying to complete a king size aphgan I'm crocheting for my son and his wife. 

Liza you will love a king size bed! Tho we had one for  only a short time it was nice to never know  the cat slept on it too! Lol! I have always purchased king sized quilts because when my hubby turned on his side at night he took the covers with him. My son has a big wide chest like his Dad had so I went with a bigger then KS aphgan  for them as well.

I think being in a stay at home order has  not been a big issue for me but I do miss getting out to the stores and doing my own groceries when I feel like I was just able to do so again! 

I am thoroughly enjoying my now 8 mth. old puppy, Missy, and love seeing the relationship between her and Romeo developed more every day. She has taken to napping right across his back lately and he just lets her often laying under her for up to two hours!  She still manages to pull him across the room by his tail or ear when shes bored &  catches me unaware, but stops as soon as she knows shes been  a caught!! Naughty girl! She is not getting into as much mischief  and has learned to shake a paw and clear the gates to carpeted areas like a little deer! This is a real Olympic sport to her as she steps back and takes a mad  run for it succeeding every time! I could take the gates down but I think she would have something to say about it!!! She is one of those dogs that would enjoy agility training to the max! Man, can she run fast too! We have  organized activities a few times a day to help burn some of that teenage energy she  has in her plus a nice long  walk once a day, twice when my eyes & energy  are behaving! 

I have just had  another iron infusion  that needs to kick in anytime soon! Otherwise closets have had a good organizing too! Our next big project  will be organizing the garage now that it is warmer here! 

My baby  Grand is a true delight full of squeals & drool, giggles & recently discovered that she can fit her foot in her mouth and suck that too. 

All the best everyone....

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 12, 2020 12:52 pm  

Hi everybody,

You have been busy! Linda,  I love violas - have you ever heard them called Johnny Jump-Ups? I think that might be because they Are pretty hardy and do spring back. And yet the flowers look so delicate.

One thing about a king-size bed is it is much easier to move because of the split box spring. I have heard that they make queensize box springs like that now - my bed is really old and saggy so might replace it with a queen sometime, just because they are a little smaller. But, like you said, I do love sleeping on a kingsize.

My sister and I have sewn quite a number of cloth masks, which we have given away. She was able to get some elastic, but I have found that I like the ones with ties better - for one thing, they are easier to fit on a variety of face sizes and shapes. Though my sister lives only a bout a mile away we have not seen each other since the quarantine (or whatever it is called) began, except for once when I dropped some fabric off at her house. She lives next door to our mother, who is elderly and who only sees us from her front door.

LL

LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 12, 2020 5:01 pm  

Thanks for the update Stella.  Yes, these are interesting times.  I'm learning to be an online teacher.  School year is just about out.  Seems like organizing ostomy supplies is a theme here, as I've been doing the same.  Good luck with those blackberries and raspberries.  :)

LK and sjlovestosing liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 14, 2020 2:55 pm  

It's good to hear that everyone is keeping busy and out of trouble! I actually found more clearing to do since my last post (whoopee!) and finally finished up today. It is quite a good feeling to get it done. Now, I can work on more fun things like my flower garden.

BTW, my second anniversary of my ostomate life is tomorrow. I'll be spending part of the day singing  a  social distance "Happy Birthday" to my friend's son who will be turning 30. Our choir is getting together to sing to him outside his home. He has been battling Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 6 years now, and it is a miracle that he is still with us. I have known him since he was an infant, so he is special to me. 

Hoping your days are filled with love, laughter, and joy!

Stella 

LLNorth and LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 14, 2020 3:29 pm  

Hi Stella, Many happy returns your journey back to normal has been inspirational. That’s very sad to hear of that young guys illness. Gods good grace to you all 👍

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 22, 2020 5:48 am  

@llholiday,  Linda,  yes, Johnny Jump Ups was the old name for these pretty little Panseys. These ones are blue and purple. A sherbert mix of Violas. The elderly (98 yr. Old) twin sisters next door) school me periodically on the correct names for many flowers! Both my son and I help them with yard work, he mows & weed eats & runs errands,  I weed and fix simple things they need basic help with and we both check the mail.. Last week I replaced their flower bed edging & moved a few plants for them...they are just precious Ladies to us both!  My puppy loves to eat the flowers off my Violas... naughty girl, but I'm onto her sneaky antics now!  Look out Missy! Mommas eyes 👀 in the back of her head are baaccckkkkk!!! 🙃 Lol! 🐾🐾

It looks like it's time for me  to get sewing masks 😷 also. B.C. Canada 🇨🇦 is starting to lift a few  restrictions & masks  will be required where social distancing, is not entirly  possible. May  I ask what you are lineing them with if you are lineing them?  I agree Ties would be better over elastics behind the ears. I'm sure many appreciate  the kindness of you & your sister  giving masks to help others. That is such a nice way to encourage and bless someone.

@ glenn.giroir...my favorite item for organizing and my stone stash is a 3 drawer plastic dresser, on wheels. About 16 × 14 inches, give or take! Nice size drawer!  It holds all of everything I need in one place. Its about 3 or 4 inches shorter then the bathroom counters.  During a sudden forest fire  evacuation,  with little effort it was ideal to roll to the door, carry down the stairs and pop in the car. Try it first before an emergency. It was just  as easy to bring in at our assigned  destination for the night! The top has room for a box of baby wipes, two cups for rinsing & the M9 bottle. TIP...heavy stuff goes in the bottom drawer or like most  dressers,  it may tip if two or 3 drawers are heavy & open at once. I also keep in a zip bag, with recipe cards & names, numbers and all of the supplies I require & contact phone numbers of  companies, doctors and pharmacies in there as well.

Glenn, Our School Teachers sure have an extra load as of late! Please, know that  you & all teachers  are highly appreciated by parents and Grandparents everywhere! The 2 high school students in our home have a new appreciation for your  hard work & being able to contact their teachers! Thank you for all YOU DO,  before, during and after COVID19! 

@sjlovestosing...Stella, that's is such a wonderful gift for the young man you & your choir got together to sing Happy Birthday too! I am sure he and his family sure appreciated the celebration of another year of his life, ten fold, & will remember that gift of  encouragnent & joy  for a very long time.  He is obviously a real life fighter and is lucky to have the support of so many around him! What an awesome gift you all gave to him! I have a few  "extra" kids by way of my  friends and I love them as my  own . When they hurt, I hurt also. I am  sure  you feel  the same.

Well folks...COVID19 sure has been a challenge!  More  so for some then others. I want to encourage everyone to be, strong. Please follow regulations given by our Health Officers no matter where you are in our world. They are highly trained for times  like this and are putting what they've trained for and know into practice.  Trust them.  Be your best & do your best. This is not just for you but for everyone you know and love. Be respectful and grateful everyday.  Be strong and stay healthy.  We can all do this together. One link is weak, but a chain is strong! Most  of all Thank them.  All the best everyone! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 22, 2020 9:14 am  

@dlkfiretruck

Hi Linda, 

It was nice to be able to do that for Roy. He is a very talented young man as he plays the viola, violin, piano, guitar, autoharp, and writes music. He calls us his "Heavenly Choir" (we are actually more like the "Wing Nut Choir"! lol) and has arranged music for us to sing. We've even performed in one of his local concerts. 

God Bless,

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 22, 2020 1:02 pm  

@sjlovestosingBelated happy birthday wishes, Stella.  Mine is just two weeks older than yours - such a lot we have learned, and so much has happened! Many more  happy birthdays to you 🎂

sjlovestosing and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 23, 2020 10:36 pm  

@dlkfiretruck i was lining masks with very thin old dish towel fabric - I had a lot of threadbare ones that I had been saving for something (What? And now I know!)  because they were so soft - then I ran out and have been making them without linings as long as the two fabrics (front and back) are tight weaves. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 28, 2020 3:50 am  

@llholiday...Thankyou! Goid to know. I've read spandex is good too. I'm not sure I could breath behind a mask for  any period of time. I often feel like I need air without one on, I suppose thats the Asthna tho. In Canada they are saying certain health issues may not be required to wead one but I think I would opt off going out completely before I wear one for as long an outing as errands and groceries. I see people wearing them in their car driving alone...not sure why...deep sigh!  

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 2, 2020 4:57 pm  

Hi all! 

Well, I finished my quarantine project—the baby quilt for our 2 year old nephew. My husband just took it to the post office to mail it. I will attach a picture. 

Not sure what my next project will be, but having a task to focus on makes the isolation easier. 

Happy Stomaversary to both Stella and LL. We are all pretty close. Squeaky’s Birthday is June 18th. 😂

1591131456-35EC4FE0-A46D-4927-8EC4-7377D0B8D8EC.jpeg

VeganOstomy, LLNorth, LK and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 8, 2020 2:44 pm  

Beautiful!!!!

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 8, 2020 4:26 pm  

Liza, that is such a lovely quilt and the colours are great too! Lots of cutting involved! Can you tell me where I can get a quilt stand just like that??? Lol! 

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 9, 2020 5:48 am  

Thanks Stella and Linda!!

Linda, the quilt stand is something I picked up several years ago, in college actually. And sorry, but it’s a one-of-a-kind  🤣🤣

LK liked
ReplyQuote