Stepping up

10 Posts
4 Users
10 Likes
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Well, I finally caught up to the 21st century - at least with my cell phone! My 94 year old father-in-law insisted that I get a Moto e 5 play, so he bought me one. I've been "playing" with it to see what it can do, but realize that all I really need it for is emergency calls and as a camera! We don't have a data plan, so I can only use it here at home if I want to connect to the web. I did purchase a 128g sd micro card (mainly for my pictures and  home videos) just to make sure that I have enough memory. Texting is out, again, as we don't have a plan that includes that. When I want to facially connect with my loved ones, I usually use Google Hangouts. I like using the bigger screen on my laptop for that. If there is anyone who is technically (or not) savvy out there, what are your experiences with this "new" technology?

Stella

BTW, I am using my laptop to type this!

zhtfreak, Tony and john68 reacted
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Earth calling Stella...I just did the same thing last weekend. I am using my phone to tap this message in here. My son is so proud of me. I am using a Samsung J3, It has a great camera, internet access and texting,this is really the coolest thing since flavored oatmeal. Well not really but it is cool and unlike my struggles learning the computer, this has been remarkedly, so much easier. For what ever reason I caught on incredibly easy to this compared to lap top computer. Just loving it! I am sure you will enjoy yours as much. An impending hospital stay was the push forward and I have arrived! I have even sent pictures to others on this thingy! All around pretty darn awesome. Congrats to you.

Linda

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Stella,

Welcome to the awesome world of smartphones. This one is quite decent too. I've seen plenty of phones with less of a kick that cost twice as much. Have you tried double clicking the power button to jump straight to the camera?

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome to the club! Smartphones can be a double-edged sword: they can be incredibly useful and can replace many other devices (camera, GPS, music player, etc.), but can also be "time-wasters" if you get sucked into social media. 

But that 128gb card will keep you busy snapping photos :) I've just about replaced my other cameras with my phone! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi  Tony and Eric,

I haven't set up the camera that way, but I do have it on my main screen, so it's not so bad to access. No worries about getting swept up into social media. This site is the only place I go to as I am not on Facebook or Twitter! Also, I prefer to use my laptop while I am here since the key board is easier for me to use.

Have a great day!

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I have to ask, can we print pictures off of our phones? If so, how?  I have google earth and the GPS too. I saw the house I was raised in and my hubby and I owned for a few years has been torn down and built new. My elementary school is still there.  I wish I could save a parking place using this thing.  My friend and I used the GPS to find a store the other day.  It was accurate as ever.  I know how people do the selfies now.  Stella, I think you will have fun when you spend some time playing around on it.  You can back out of something you do not like, just take your time with it. Listen to me...who would have thunk?! Other then what I really wanted to do on it, I do not do anything else.  Being able to text with my Dad and sisters and kids is great to do. Just loving it.  I hope you will too Stella. Kudos to your father inlaw!

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Linda,

I found this article on printing from an Android phone. There's more than one way to do this, but it isn't as daunting as it might look. That should get you started, but as with other topics, there's plenty of info on the web about it.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Linda, I have a wireless printer, so I'm able to print directly from my phone via the "share" feature. There are other ways, but it depends on your printer and how much technical knowledge you have about setting these things up! 

I'm a huge fan of Google Earth - I can spend hours checking out various places, exploring places I've visited, and checking out new areas to hike! 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Tony and Eric, thankyou. I read the info Tony and have learned a lot. All this wireless stuff is so something my brain keeps trying to accept. I have not had a printer for a few years but with the event of grand babies it is time for hanging new photos or to at least start a gramas brag book. My daughter in law says I can also take my phone to the photo shop in town and they will print for me right off my phone and at a reasonable cost. I am really enjoying the ability to check my emails and the VO site and reply to it from my phone. All the info I have rec'd led me to this new venture in life. Thank you all.

Linda

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: LK

My daughter in law says I can also take my phone to the photo shop in town and they will print for me right off my phone and at a reasonable cost. 

Actually, yes, many WalMart stores have a photo outlet that will offer you many ways to print your photos from your phone or memory card ?

ReplyQuote