Community Forums

Road trip adventure...

Road trip adventures  

RSS

LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 31, 2019 12:39 pm  

Went out of town yesterday, a few hours from home, for a program related to my job, an evening presentation. My husband drove, thank goodness. When we got to the city we got really lost, and during rush hour, really stressful, but arrived with time to spare. Five minutes before the program started (and I was speaking first) my stoma woke up feeling perky - ack, what a rush job in the bathroom; luckily I was the only one in there! Made it to the program, which was starting a little late, also thank goodness. Drive home last night was heavy traffic because of construction congestion - again, a little stressful. Stopped at an all-night restaurant; when I got out of the car my stoma again perked up (is a good word for this “percolated”?) and again thank goodness I was the only person in the bathroom. Bought some cookies for on the road, paid with a $50 bill which turned out to be counterfeit! The clerk showed me how it was easy for him to spot - he was very nice about it, and now I am out $50! For the rest of the ride home there was no further road construction and my stoma was quiet. Gee whiz, what a night. But thinking back to a year ago I am surprised that I am able to do these things and handle a stoma.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK, john68 and VeganOstomy liked
Raine
(@raine)
Registered
May 31, 2019 1:15 pm  

Good for you!  Being able to go out and do things is definitely an advantage of a stoma for me.  But the darn things need to learn to be quiet! Ha ha.  I was on a job interview this morning and the whole time I was afraid it would decide to let out a loud fart.  But all went well and was nice and quiet.

Raine

LK, john68, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 31, 2019 1:50 pm  

The fact that you DID handle it all is a wonderful testament to how resilient you are! 

How did the presentation go? :-) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 31, 2019 2:59 pm  

Things went well - there were two of us presenting about our work, and we know and like each other, which made it fun.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 31, 2019 5:39 pm  

Congratulations! The first time is always a little stressful, but now it'll get easier. My first big trip was to Bermuda last November. All went well until we did the return trip to the U.S. Customs decided to go through my bags - and exposed all my appliances. I was not exactly happy, but I got through it anyway - a little shaken, but intact!

Stella

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 1, 2019 8:04 am  

Wow, that is such a great accomplishment.  The firsts are always the best part of all of this, especially when you come out of it successful, unembarrassed, in one piece on the other side.  Loosing 50 bucks is not fun, but you learned something new in the effort. Do you know where you picked it  up from? Is this something to tell the police about?  These kind of accomplishments are always great to hear about and I am glad your hubby got to go along, especially while it meant driving a distance and at night.  Wow, another unintended expectation of men there from me.  I am so glad that your battle has you battling right back. Keep it up the great work. I hardly ever even think about who (Rose) I have along with me anymore especially when I am out. It goes to show, just how normal life can be with an ostomy. This realization comes to fruition with credits to VeganOstomy and those in the field of "work".   Thank you for sharing this with us all. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register