Showering with a bag  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
22/08/2018 2:06 pm  

Hi all,

I am no genius, but I  just wanted you to know that I have finely figured a way to shower with my bag on without getting it wet. I took a quart-sized freezer bag, opened it and marked halfway across the opening on one side of the bag. I then cut the bag (on the side I marked) up to 3/4" away from the bottom edge. When I shower I place the bag (open end down) over my appliance bag  tuck in the bottom of the appliance bage into the freezer bag and close the end. Then I use Hy-tape over the bottom of the bag (which is now on the top) over the skin to prevent water from entering. I tried it last night, and it worked well - not a drop on the appliance bag! The freezer bag is reusable - just add new tape whenever you shower. 

Have any of you out there come up with other ways to keep your appliance dry? 

Stella

VeganOstomy and LK liked
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
22/08/2018 2:50 pm  

Yes... Someone mentioned the use of ( GLAD Brand) Press and Seal plastic wrap quite awhile a go ( thanks..whoever you are). And I finally tried it.

Works perfectly for a shower and I even used it swimming...all stayed dry.

Empty your bag, lay down on bed,roll up the bag over wafer, place a pretty good amount ( 10 inches or so) of the press and seal over your skin and bag/wafer. Press it pretty well and use some pressure.

Shower, dry it all, remove...

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
22/08/2018 5:10 pm  

Check out the Blue Crown Club shower gaurd . It's a little plastic apron that you tuck bag into . Bag stays dry . Eric has a video on it . I got mine on Amzon . Works great . That Hy-tape is expensive I use to do that . .

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
22/08/2018 5:44 pm  

That shower guard looks like a  good possibility too.

If you try and have success with the  Glad press and seal its also very inexpensive ( and you can use it in the kitchen as well!). HA

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
23/08/2018 2:58 am  

Hi Dona!  Does the Glad press and seal pull at the material on your bag...if you have material on it?

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
23/08/2018 2:58 am  

Such great ideas all around.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
23/08/2018 9:49 am  

Hi Linda,

The Press and seal peels right off. Like a post it note. If you want to test it, maybe try it on a bag that you haven't used yet. I did leave a good three inches of skin that the plastic wrap was stuck down to all around my appliance. Press it down pretty well, just like your wafer , pressure and hand heat seem to help with the seal.  I first tried two layers of it, but one worked just as well.

Just get your tummy flat so there are no wrinkles in the seal.

I use a Hollister bag with the 'cloth' cover.

I had a foot injury with stitches that I needed to keep dry a couple of months ago. Thats when I first tried this stuff. I needed to keep my foot dry and my stoma output off of it while I showered in prep to changing my bag.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
23/08/2018 11:46 am  

Pardon my not understanding,  but why can't the bag get wet?

I take soaking baths and my Mio stays put. People go swimming,  and so on.

Is this problem extensive? 

Just curious. 

Z

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
23/08/2018 1:27 pm  

Hi Zvitusk,

Its not that the bag CAN'T get wet, its just that ( for me at least) it takes awhile to dry off the whole thing after it gets wet. Sometimes thats fine, but sometimes I need to keep it dry. I do use one with a 'cloth' cover that traps the moisture. So different bags would of course be easier to dry.

I go swimming and get it wet lots of days. That doesn't seem to effect wear time. I have been body surfing a lot in the ocean this summer.Just good to have that other option sometimes.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
23/08/2018 5:04 pm  
Press N Seal, as Dona mentioned, is something I've used before with mixed success. If you get one brech in the seal you make, water gets in and stays in until you remove it. 

I've found the best luck (consistency) with shower guards. 
Posted by: Zvitusk

Pardon my not understanding,  but why can't the bag get wet?

Not that I make much effort to keep my appliance dry, but I really don't like it when the cloth material is wet after showering and I really can't be bothered with drying it using a hair dryer. 

Lately, I just towel dry the outside if the bag and then out on a pouch cover... After about 10 minutes the entire pouch cover is wet! Oops! Haha 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Registered
23/08/2018 5:18 pm  

Hi all.

I shower without my bag.my surgeon said was fine so been doing it for the past couple of months without problems.

Obviously swimming would be a different matter.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
23/08/2018 5:39 pm  

Hey Eric,

I think from the pictures you have shared here, your tummy is a whole lot furrier than mine! HA.HA    Also... I have no folds in my skin and no  scar tissue there.

That might mess with the seal a bit.

It really did keep the stitches on my foot dry. Might be worth knowing if one had future surgery.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
23/08/2018 5:50 pm  

Hi Derek,

I always shower without a bag on the days I change. Good time to wash and check the skin etc. Plus it feels GREAT.

On the other days when I shower its just faster to keep it dry.

john68 and Sasquatch liked
ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Registered
23/08/2018 8:45 pm  

Yes dona. Makes a big difference,feel much cleaner and refreshing.

on the few occasions i have showered with the bag it dries quite quickly but I do love in mexico.!!

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
24/08/2018 2:51 am  

Dona thank you. That is a good idea to use that kind of wrap. I appreciate knowing what kind of width to make with it also. That would give margin for error on my part...Lol. I have to ask tho, did you ever try it wrapping the bag only and then the plate area only with less plastic on you tummy?  Or, did it just not work well like that?    

Zvitusk...it is really about us not wanting to spend too much time doing something kind of silly when we could be doing something else. I soak in a hot bath all the time. It feels so good on my arthritic hips. I get my bag good and wet in the process and it has always held on good and tight. Never comes off my skin. I have a huge deep bathtub. Wish it had jets tho.  I do as Eric does for 12 years and it works well so far, I hold it in place with a close pin...a small towel. Takes about 10 to dry up. Great ideas all around...thank you eh. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
24/08/2018 8:08 am  

Hi everyone,

I guess I started some conversation here! I like your idea, Dona, about the press n' seal. I'll have to give it a try! The worst that can happen is that I'll have an extra package of plastic wrap for my food! Linda, I have not taken a bath yet - only showers. Do you use extra tape on your appliance? I also enjoy taking showers without the old bag! It does feel good!

Stella

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
24/08/2018 8:37 am  
Posted by: Dona

Hi Derek,

I always shower without a bag on the days I change. Good time to wash and check the skin etc. Plus it feels GREAT.

On the other days when I shower its just faster to keep it dry.

Change days are my favorite days, for that exact reason.  It's fantastic to take the ole bag off for a few minutes!

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
24/08/2018 8:51 am  

The best change you will ever do is a shower with no bag on. Yes this may seem impossible for some time after having the stoma but just give it a go :-) 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Sasquatch liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
24/08/2018 10:20 am  

I remember my stoma nurse telling me before I went home from the hospital that I could do that.  She told me a lot of very reassuring things, I was treated well while I was there.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
24/08/2018 11:57 am  

Hi, in answer to Linda's question above.

The first time I tried this I did use a sandwich bag directly over my appliance/bag. Then I used the press and seal. It worked great. Next time I used just the plastic wrap and it worked just the same. So, in the service of streamlining this whole operation I just use the Press and Seal now.

Not to take credit for this idea either. I first read about it maybe a year ago on VO...but I can't find that post. So whoever you are THANK YOU!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register