Community Forums

Wrap with some flex...

Wrap with some flexibility  

RSS

Lisaj
(@lisaj)
Registered
August 26, 2018 1:46 pm  

Has anyone compared the Awestomy wrap with the Ostomysecrets classic? I ordered the awestomy in a size larger but find it way too constricting-I can barely put it on and then can barely breathe, much less think I’d have any room for output! Is the classic wrap more flexible? I now have learned that in my 8 weeks since surgery I have a hernia (this was present from the beginning but doctors only saw me lying down) and the belt has been on backorder, and I have a protruding stoma that needs protection. So....I’m thinking a hernia belt, a plastic guard and a wrap. I will also add that I live in a warm climate. Im fine in the morning but by noon I’m exhausted and in some slight pain- I assume from the hernia. Everyone has been great in making suggestions on this forum- thank you!

Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
August 26, 2018 2:43 pm  

Hi Lisaj . Welcome to the group . Sorry I can't say that I have tried the classic wrap but I do wear the basic ActiveWear series 1 wrap by Pouchware . I like it because it does help to cancel and also has the pocket to hold the bag for support so its not just pulling down on everything and I can wear it outside my pants and I don't worry about smashing the bag . I do get some pancaking depending on what I eat but its not really an issue it can be pushed down or I just roll the top of the wrap down for a minute and things settle . The ostomy classic one looks to me to be way to tight and restrictive . Like you say leaves no room for output . Hope this helps in some way .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Lisaj and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 27, 2018 12:25 pm  

Hi Lisaj, 

I've used (and reviewed) both. 

The OstomySecrets wrap seems more stretchy, but it also seems to stretch out over time and no longer has the same shape it once had. I don't expect these to last forever, and it's still usable, but it is something I've noticed. 

It is important to make sure you're getting the right fit - you never want something to be too tight over your stoma, but you want it tight enough to offer support. 

The hernia complicates things a bit, and quite honestly, you may need to experiment to find a combination of products that work for you. I can only guess that having a hernia belt and wrap over it will make things more sweaty, but some hernia belts (like the stuff from Nu-Hope) are designed to be more breathable and may help in this regard. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
August 28, 2018 12:44 pm  

Hi again Lisaj . As Eric mentioned nothing will last forever . The Active Wear series 1 wrap that I use can loosen up a bit on the bottom edge after wearing it a couple days (I only wear during the day) but I haven't had a problem with the elastic band yet . After washing it seems to tighten back up a bit . I bought 1 to try then 2 more later so I could wash and alternate wearing them . One thing I like about the Active Wear compared to the classic wrap is the pocket for support . I live in a pretty hot climate and as suggested to me by others on here I use baby powder to help be more comfortable .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Lisaj
(@lisaj)
Registered
August 28, 2018 4:58 pm  

Thanks and good to know!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register