Clear all

Meet my new "other half"  

RSS

zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
February 25, 2020 5:44 pm  

Hi all,

I've been meaning to post here but have been crazy busy. I'm finishing up training with a new guide dog this week. I got partnered up with a little black lab named Lucy, who is really cute and a lot more playful than I expected. lol I've also been spoiled by the south Florida 70-ish degree weather, and am not looking forward to going back to "real" winter when I get home.

It's been an intense 3 weeks and I wasn't sure how my body would do with it, despite having trained with 4 dogs prior to this one. This time though, I let them know about my bowel issues and they were fine to acomodate, even though it was an awkward conversation.

Not sure I can post a picture here.

john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 25, 2020 6:23 pm  

That’s brilliant news, I have always been amazed at the intelligence of a guide dog, best wishes for a long and happy friendship 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
February 25, 2020 6:30 pm  

Hey, congratulations!I am sure you and Lucy will make a wonderful couple. My sister used to be a secretary for the Guiding Eyes of the Blind many years ago. For her, it was a very  fulfilling job.

It's funny you should mention that Lucy is a black lab. I just got a pattern and material in the mail today to make a black lab puppy - complete with little ducky! I will post a picture when it's done.

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
February 25, 2020 8:44 pm  

Here's a pic. :) 

1582681471-D3D57BEA-25DB-45E6-B5C1-4963E86536ED.jpeg

VeganOstomy, dieffenk, john68 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
February 25, 2020 9:03 pm  

Lucy is adorable!!  What a fun way to spend your time--in the sun with Lucy.  Is she going to stay with you permanently, or were you training her for someone else?  

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
February 25, 2020 9:30 pm  

Hi Lucy!

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
February 26, 2020 5:25 am  

@squeakyandliza 

We were training to work together. Lucy did about 5 months of formal training before I met her. I'm bringing her back to my normal life when I fly home on Saturday.

There's a docuseries on Disney Plus called Pick of the Litter about the whole training process, from when the dogs are puppies through becoming working guides, as Lucy will be. It was a spin off of a longer documentary also called Pick of the Litter, although both are about a different training school than the one I am at. I think that longer documentary might be on Netflix. I haven't watched either yet, because I'm still upset about how that organization treated me after I got my first dog back in 2002. Lucy is dog number 5 for me. 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 26, 2020 12:26 pm  

Lucy is adorable. She looks like a great friend. My husband and I walk our nephew's dog daily. He is an enormous  but sweet chocolate lab. They are a wonderful breed. Have fun. Thanks for the picture too.

ReplyQuote
kyle89
(@kyle89)
Registered
February 26, 2020 12:50 pm  

What a cutie! Labs make such wonderful pets and as I am sure you have seen, fantastic service dogs. I've got a black lab myself named Barney. Best buds for 8 years now.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
February 26, 2020 5:27 pm  

She is adorable!

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 3, 2020 10:18 am  

Lucy is a beauty! Will she be wearing a special vest or something to let people know she's a guide dog? 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 3, 2020 10:56 am  

How pretty she is! I work with a man who has a service dog (a yellow lab) and I remember when they were in training together. I’d like to see that documentary. How are things going for the two of you?

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
March 7, 2020 8:37 pm  

Lucy looks like a wonderful dog, I hope you both enjoy each other.

I can not have a dog now, being I rent, but Labs and golden retrievers are much the same, I had a golden and all he wanted was to make me happy, Lucy will do the same for you.

You now have a best friend.

Dan

ReplyQuote